[jasspa] Re: How to define highlighting / buffer behaviour

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 15, 2000
      Alex,

      The buffer hilighting is explained in the following
      locations:-

      Help->Language Templates (Bottom of help page)

      This page takes you through the process of setting up a template
      including the indentation. (step by step).

      Help->File Hooks (Bottom of page)

      Describes additional information on the file hooks

      In addition there are the highight(2) and indent(2) pages.

      If these do not help then we are missing something in the
      documentation - will need some pointers as to whats missing
      or why it's difficult to understand.

      I usually use the hkc.emf and hkemf.emf for a good source
      of template definition examples. Detlef's hkinfo.emf mailed
      last month was a good example of character hiding (this is
      also in the UNIX man pages and rendered HTML).

      Failing that mail some sample code with a brief description
      of what you want and I'll put one together !!

      Alex wrote:

      > I've been using ME for a few years now but I'm sure I'm only just
      > scraping the surface with what it can do. I'd love to figure out how to
      > program it to do exactly what I want, but I just can't follow the style
      > of documentation since I don't have the time or the patience. One
      > feature in particular that has always eluded me is highlighting.
      >
      > Can someone please explain how I'd go about creating a new mode
      > (fhook?) for highlighting and indentation etc. I can't find any useful
      > documentation on this.
      >
      > It would be really useful if someone could just explain how on earth
      > the cmode highlighting all works from start to finish, what all the
      > macros actually do, and why they are there.
      >
      > Another approach would be to simply explain step-by-step how to set up
      > a brand new scheme for highlighting.
      >
      > I'd be very grateful if one of you ME gurus could help, otherwise, I've
      > just bought a book on GNU-emacs, and I'm about to go to 'the other
      > side'...
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Alex

      > eLerts!
      > Save cash today!

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=jasspa&m=1
    • Alex Worden
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 15, 2000
        Hi Jon,

        I did find some good docs on buffer hilighting eventually. I did a
        help-command on 'hilight' and was pleasantly surprised that the docs have
        improved greatly. I'll let you know if I have any other more intelligent
        questions when I've worked through the documentation some more.

        I suppose one useful resource would be a top-level index that is more
        obvious. Language Templates is quite cryptic - I was looking for something
        like
        Help->Customizing MicroEmacs->Buffer Hilighting

        When I get a spare minute, I'm going to try something adventurous -
        hilighting for JSP, which is a mixture of HTML and Java in the same buffer.
        I saw something on switching buffer-hilight modes in the docs. If you have
        any examples of this that would be useful.

        Thanks again,

        Alex

        P.S.

        What are you up to these days?

        > The buffer hilighting is explained in the following
        > locations:-
        >
        > Help->Language Templates (Bottom of help page)
        >
        > This page takes you through the process of setting up a template
        > including the indentation. (step by step).
        >
        > Help->File Hooks (Bottom of page)
        >
        > Describes additional information on the file hooks
        >
        > In addition there are the highight(2) and indent(2) pages.
        >
        > If these do not help then we are missing something in the
        > documentation - will need some pointers as to whats missing
        > or why it's difficult to understand.
        >
        > I usually use the hkc.emf and hkemf.emf for a good source
        > of template definition examples. Detlef's hkinfo.emf mailed
        > last month was a good example of character hiding (this is
        > also in the UNIX man pages and rendered HTML).
        >
        > Failing that mail some sample code with a brief description
        > of what you want and I'll put one together !!

        > Alex wrote:
        > >
        > > I've been using ME for a few years now but I'm sure I'm only just
        > > scraping the surface with what it can do. I'd love to figure out how to
        > > program it to do exactly what I want, but I just can't follow the style
        > > of documentation since I don't have the time or the patience. One
        > > feature in particular that has always eluded me is highlighting.
        > >
        > > Can someone please explain how I'd go about creating a new mode
        > > (fhook?) for highlighting and indentation etc. I can't find any useful
        > > documentation on this.
        > >
        > > It would be really useful if someone could just explain how on earth
        > > the cmode highlighting all works from start to finish, what all the
        > > macros actually do, and why they are there.
        > >
        > > Another approach would be to simply explain step-by-step how to set up
        > > a brand new scheme for highlighting.
        > >
        > > I'd be very grateful if one of you ME gurus could help, otherwise, I've
        > > just bought a book on GNU-emacs, and I'm about to go to 'the other
        > > side'...
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Alex

        > > This is an unmoderated list. JASSPA is not responsible for the content
        of

        > > eLerts!
        > > Save cash today!
        > >
        > > -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
        > > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=jasspa&m=1

        > eLerts!
        > Save cash today!
        >
        > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/jasspa/

      • Detlef Groth
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 16, 2000
          Hello,

          to answer your question an example to hilight C-Code inside HTMl-code:

          ;; C-specific stuff inside <pre> environment of HTML-pages
          set-variable .hilight.htmlC &pinc .hilight.next 1 ; declaring the
          hilighting
          0 hilight .hilight.htmlC 2 50 $global-scheme
          hilight .hilight.html 0xc0 "<pre>C" "<pre>" .hilight.htmlC
          $global-scheme
          ; means if '<pre>C' is writen C-hilighing starts

          hilight .hilight.htmlC 0xc0 "</pre>" "</pre>" .hilight.html
          $global-scheme
          ; if '</pre>' is written normal HTML-hiligthing starts again
          ;; some examples for c-specific hilighing
          hilight .hilight.htmlC 64 "main()" "main()" .scheme.bold
          ; keywords
          hilight .hilight.htmlC 1 "break" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.htmlC 1 "case" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.htmlC 1 "continue" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.htmlC 1 "default" .scheme.keyword
          hilight .hilight.htmlC 1 "do" .scheme.keyword
          ; etc.

          Is it not great ?
          Regards, Detlef
          "alex worden" <alexworde-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/jasspa/?start=196

          > Hi Jon,
          >
          > I did find some good docs on buffer hilighting eventually. I did a
          > help-command on 'hilight' and was pleasantly surprised that the docs
          have
          > improved greatly. I'll let you know if I have any other more
          intelligent
          > questions when I've worked through the documentation some more.
          >
          > I suppose one useful resource would be a top-level index that is more
          > obvious. Language Templates is quite cryptic - I was looking for
          something
          > like
          > Help->Customizing MicroEmacs->Buffer Hilighting
          >
          > When I get a spare minute, I'm going to try something adventurous -
          > hilighting for JSP, which is a mixture of HTML and Java in the same
          buffer.
          > I saw something on switching buffer-hilight modes in the docs. If you
          have
          > any examples of this that would be useful.
          >
          > Thanks again,
          >
          > Alex

          <snip>
        • Alex Worden
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 16, 2000
            Yeah, I figured most of this stuff out with some perseverance. Thanks!

            Alex

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8, 2000
              Hello,

              recently I observed an even better possibility to have one
              hilight-scheme inside an other.

              Observe the following:
              define-macro hilight-javascript-inside-html
              ; this macro has to be inside myhtml.emf
              execute-file "hkjava"
              0 hilight .hilight.java 2 50 $global-scheme
              hilight .hilight.html 0xc0 "<Script language=\"JavaScript\">"
              "<Script language=\"JavaScript\">" .hilight.java $global-scheme
              hilight .hilight.java 0xc0 "</Script>" "</Script>" .hilight.html
              $global-scheme
              screen-update
              !emacro
              define-macro hilight-latex-inside-html ; macro in myhtml.emf
              ; using the <pre> tags for input of code
              execute-file "hklatex"
              0 hilight .hilight.latex 2 50 $global-scheme
              hilight .hilight.html 0xc0 "<pre>" "<pre>" .hilight.latex
              $global-scheme
              execute-file "hklatex"
              hilight .hilight.latex 0xc0 "</pre>" "</pre>" .hilight.html
              $global-scheme
              screen-update
              !emacro
              define-macro hilight-html-inside-latex ; macro in mylatex.emf
              ; using the \verbatim-environment for input of code
              execute-file "hkhtml"
              0 hilight .hilight.html 2 50 $global-scheme
              hilight .hilight.latex 0xc0 "\\begin{verbatim}" "\\begin{verbatim}"
              .hilight.html $global-scheme
              execute-file "hklatex"
              hilight .hilight.html 0xc0 "\\end{verbatim}" "\\end{verbatim}"
              .hilight.latex $global-scheme
              screen-update
              !emacro

              So you can have latex-hilighting inside html, html-hiligthing inside
              latex, cpp inside html, emf inside Email and so on ....

              Best regards,

              Detlef

              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/jasspa/?start=200