column number in the mode? status? line

  • Rick Owen
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2006
      I'm not sure what the status line at the bottom of the screen is called (mode line?, status line?). It's the line that shows the buffer name, buffer mode, line #, etc.  Is there a way to configure that to show the cursor column on it as well?

      Thanks,
      Rick.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11, 2006
        Rick Owen wrote:
        > I'm not sure what the status line at the bottom of the screen is called
        > (mode line?, status line?). It's the line that shows the buffer name,
        > buffer mode, line #, etc. Is there a way to configure that to show the
        > cursor column on it as well?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rick.

        No is the short answer!
        Jon.
      • Bruno Sabin
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 11, 2006
          try adding this to your personal rickowen.emf file:

          set-variable $mode-line "%s%r%u%k %b %l:%c - %h:%m %D/%
          M/%Y (%e) - (%f) "

          --
          bruno

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 11, 2006
            Hmmm.. I thought the short answer was yes, add %c to the $mode-line setting.
            Try adding the following line to your setup file:

            set-variable $mode-line "cG%s%r%u me (%e) - %l:%c %b (%f) "

            Warning to slow computer and terminal users - this does increase the frequence
            of mode line updates so does have a small effect on performance.

            Steve

            > Subject: [jasspa] column number in the mode? status? line
            > From: Jon Green <jnaught@...>
            > Date: Monday, September 11, 2006, 6:34:34 PM
            > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
            > Rick Owen wrote:
            >> I'm not sure what the status line at the bottom of the screen is called
            >> (mode line?, status line?). It's the line that shows the buffer name,
            >> buffer mode, line #, etc. Is there a way to configure that to show the
            >> cursor column on it as well?
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >> Rick.

            > No is the short answer!

          • Rick Owen
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 11, 2006
              Hi Steve,

              I like your short answer better than Jon's :).  I remembered from the foggy recesses of my memory that regular emacs had such a feature.  I tried it and it works fine.  I appreciate the warning about the refresh penalty for terminal users and I've left the mode line alone on the Linux system I have to access via telnet.