highlighting, two more question

  • cut1n1paste
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 11, 2006
      hello all,

      two more questions :)

      1. how can i add non-western chars to highlighted chars list?

      let's talk, e.g., about "-!- document -!-" mode -- so, i should be
      looking in the docmacro.emf, i assume. and that seems to be the right
      thing -- while looking at docmacro.emf i've found there bold, italic
      and underlined text rules. so, simple adding chars there did the trick.

      but what about bullets 1. 1) and *? how can i add non-western chars in
      order to highlight non-western bullets?

      2. if i'd like to change the color, which is used to highlight the
      string ("TEXT"), i should be looking in the corresponding scheme-file,
      right?
      so, i see there this row:
      add-color-scheme .scheme.string .col6 .col1 .col14 .col1 .col6 .col16
      .col14 .col16 0 8 0 8 0 8 0 8
      which is purple on black "TEXT" from Default White on Black

      .col14 seems to be the purple -- but changing it to any other (.col12
      or .col13) makes no changes in highlighting... so, how could i adjust it?

      thank you,

      --
      cnp
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 11, 2006
        > 1. how can i add non-western chars to highlighted chars list?
        >
        > let's talk, e.g., about "-!- document -!-" mode -- so, i
        > should be looking in the docmacro.emf, i assume. and that
        > seems to be the right thing -- while looking at docmacro.emf
        > i've found there bold, italic and underlined text rules. so,
        > simple adding chars there did the trick.
        >
        > but what about bullets 1. 1) and *? how can i add non-western
        > chars in order to highlight non-western bullets?

        The '*' bullet is hilighted via the line:

        hilight .hilight.doc 0x20 "*\\}[ \t]+\\w"
        .scheme.no1

        You can add a similar line to your mydoc.emf replacing the '*' with
        whatever char. Similarly:

        hilight .hilight.doc 0x21 "\\w)"
        .scheme.no1

        Hilights the A) etc.

        However if you what to generate good html automatically from your
        markuped text you may want to look at JST rather than doc mode which has
        an export to html. I am thinking of making this the default major mode
        for notes.

        > 2. if i'd like to change the color, which is used to
        > highlight the string ("TEXT"), i should be looking in the
        > corresponding scheme-file, right?
        > so, i see there this row:
        > add-color-scheme .scheme.string .col6 .col1 .col14 .col1 .col6 .col16
        > .col14 .col16 0 8 0 8 0 8 0 8
        > which is purple on black "TEXT" from Default White on Black
        >
        > .col14 seems to be the purple -- but changing it to any other
        > (.col12 or .col13) makes no changes in highlighting... so,
        > how could i adjust it?

        You should be using the scheme-editor to do this (see Tools -> Scheme
        Editor) the Bold scheme is under 'Formatted Text' schemes.

        Steve

        > thank you,
        >
        > --
        > cnp

      • cut1n1paste
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 11, 2006
          Steven, thank you once again for your help and interest.

          but i seems to be missing the point :). here it goes:

          > > 1. how can i add non-western chars to highlighted chars list?
          > > but what about bullets 1. 1) and *? how can i add non-western
          > > chars in order to highlight non-western bullets?
          > The '*' bullet is hilighted via the line:
          > hilight .hilight.doc 0x20 "*\\}[ \t]+\\w"
          > .scheme.no1
          > You can add a similar line to your mydoc.emf replacing the '*' with
          > whatever char. Similarly:
          > hilight .hilight.doc 0x21 "\\w)"
          > .scheme.no1
          > Hilights the A) etc.

          for now bullet highlights text, which looks like that:
          1. here goes some text

          where 'here goes some text' can contain western chars only (it does
          not hilights when containing non-western chars).

          so, my question was is it possible to somehow modify this bullet-rule
          in order to hilight also non-western chars?

          [also, i assumed that adding somehow those non-western chars to this
          rule could solve the problem -- the same way i expanded chars in bold
          / italic / underline text descriptions -- which now looks something
          like that:
          hilight .hilight.doc 1 "<[A-Za-z0-9_а-яА-Я-+ \/():;.,]+>"
          .scheme.italic
          however, now i do not understand how can i add non-western chars to
          the bullet-rule]

          > However if you what to generate good html automatically from your
          > markuped text you may want to look at JST rather than doc mode which
          > has
          > an export to html. I am thinking of making this the default major
          > mode for notes.

          in fact, i do not plan to generate html from my notes... but while we
          are here, could you please tell me what is JST? :)

          > You should be using the scheme-editor to do this
          > (see Tools -> Scheme
          > Editor) the Bold scheme is under 'Formatted Text' schemes.

          i thought so :), but ME is running on a remote machine in a mouseless
          terminal :), so it's quite difficult to use Scheme Editor -- without a
          mouse :).

          anyway, thank you for your answer, i probably should do it in a local
          copy of ME...

          --
          cnp
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 11, 2006
            The '\\w' in the hilighting token means any word character (i.e.
            normally a-z A-Z 0-9), you can replace this with a '[.....]' character
            group (i.e. "*\\}[ \t]+[A-Za-z.....]") or you could change your word
            group to include the missing western characters and I think there may be
            a problem here.

            In your example you have 'а-я', this is not ME macro format
            compliant, ME uses C style '\x??' for a text character where '??' is the
            hex code (i.e. [\x41-\x5a] == [A-Z]). However 1072 is well above the 255
            single byte max value, you seem to be giving it unicode chars which will
            not work, ME is a single byte editor. What language are you editing in
            and what code page?

            Try setting user-setup -> Start-Up -> Language and Platform -> Display
            Char Set correctly, this should set your word character group correctly
            (i.e. if set to Russian the word group will include all the Cyrillic
            alphabet) and this will mean that the bullt-in hilighting and word
            commands (like forward-word) will work correctly.

            Does the current ME installation support your language and code page? If
            not we should try adding support for it first.

            Does this make sense?

          • cut1n1paste
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 11, 2006
              Steven, yes, sorry for this my probably quite stupid question :).

              > The '\\w' in the hilighting token means any word character

              sorry once again, while browsing through docmacro.emf i really
              remembered that \w aka [:word:] means any word character, but somehow
              i missed that it could be related with language :).

              so, now it perfectly works -- and thank you for the hint.

              > In your example you have 'а-я',

              that was yahoo, who transferred my example to unicode :) -- there were
              cyrillic letters a-ya and A-YA.

              > Does this make sense?

              yes, Steven, thank you once again :)

              > > in fact, i do not plan to generate html from my notes... but
              > > while we are here, could you please tell me what is JST? :)

              i've found that it stands for JASSPA Structured Text, which is a set
              of macros to convert structured text into other formats.

              however, i can't find it in the help file -- is it there?

              also, Steven, while we are here -- could you confirm, that for now
              folding does not work in Notes tool? i've tried to apply collapse-all
              command there -- but received only [Collapse not available for enf] in
              response...

              --
              cnp
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 11, 2006
                >> > in fact, i do not plan to generate html from my notes... but
                >> > while we are here, could you please tell me what is JST? :)

                > i've found that it stands for JASSPA Structured Text, which is a set
                > of macros to convert structured text into other formats.

                > however, i can't find it in the help file -- is it there?

                Some docs are needed, will try to get something out.

                > also, Steven, while we are here -- could you confirm, that for now
                > folding does not work in Notes tool? i've tried to apply collapse-all
                > command there -- but received only [Collapse not available for enf] in
                > response...

                Using features that use narrowing is a little dangerous in notes as notes
                relies on narrowing to view a note so it's easy to break things.

                That said I have a beta version that allows me to set a major mode for each
                note (defaulting to JST) and for each mode that supports collapse the keys are
                appropriately bound. This should make it into the main release.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 11, 2006
                  cnp and all non-English users of ME...,

                  Sitting at an English computer with an English keyboard and understanding only
                  English I find it hard to test and validate the foreign language support in
                  ME. It is therefore very helpful when someone can check this functionality
                  for their native language.

                  Would it be possible to let me know what language & code page you use? and
                  whether ME's support works okay?

                  Things to look out for:

                  - forward-word & backward-word work properly in text files
                  - hilighting work correctly
                  - Change case commands like upper-case-word work
                  - For non-latin based keyboards (cyrillic etc): Correct keyboard character ->
                  latin character mapping (very useful, when you get a 'Y/N' prompt you should
                  not need to 'change keyboards' to a western keyboard - see flag 'k' in help
                  page of set-char-mask)
                  - Spell checker works

                  Please reply directly to me rather then clogging up the newsgroup. Thanks,

                  Steve