notes + additional highlighting

  • cut1n1paste
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2006
      Hello all,

      i have one question: i use Notes tool a lot, and would like to add
      some highlighting to it.
      i mean, let's say, now it higlights urls only... but what if it could
      also highlight e.g. /TEXT/ or *TEXT* or _TEXT_? or some another
      specific rules or conditions?

      is it possible? and if yes, then where and how should i defined such
      rules?

      thank you in advance.

      --
      cnp
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2006
        I am genuinely surprise at the number of people using notes, the first version
        was more a proof of concept yet it seems there are quite a few real users of
        it (so apologies if I've managed to break anything in this release).

        There is a problem with adding extra highlighting tokens (like the *'s in
        *bold*) and that is that notes are often for copy text out of and this text
        will have these extra tokens which may be undesired.

        That said, I want to go one further, I want the ability to store the major
        mode for each note, i.e. for one note I may want it to contain C code so I
        want the highlighting and indentation rules of C, the next may be ME macro
        code etc.

        W.R.T. /TEXT/ & *TEXT* etc Jon's doc mode goes some way to doing this, the new
        JST mode (which alas need some docs and examples) goes quite a lot further.
        They are both major modes so this addition would work.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2006
          cut1n1paste wrote:
          > Hello all,
          >
          > i have one question: i use Notes tool a lot, and would like to add
          > some highlighting to it.
          > i mean, let's say, now it higlights urls only... but what if it could
          > also highlight e.g. /TEXT/ or *TEXT* or _TEXT_? or some another
          > specific rules or conditions?
          >
          > is it possible? and if yes, then where and how should i defined such
          > rules?
          >
          > thank you in advance.

          There is some additional highlighting in notes as follows, however notes
          does not allow "mynotes.emf" for user extensions which it should
          probably do. At the moment then you need to copy it to your user
          directory and then add additional hilighting.

          Jon.

          Some of the hilighting that exists in "notes"

          >c>
          /* This is a C code insert */
          >end>

          >emf>
          ; This is a microEmacs insert
          >end>

          >cpp>
          // This is a C++ insert
          >end>

          >perl>
          # This is a perl insert
          >end>

          >tcl>
          # This is a tcl insert
          >end>

          >shell>
          # This is a shell script
          >end>

          >make>
          # This is a makefile insert
          >end>

          >pseudo>
          // Pseudo code
          IF condition
          THEN
          something
          ENDIF
          >end>

          >bnf>
          # BNF code
          Some bnf ::= end
          >end>

          >emf>
          ; If you add the following to "notes.emf" then you can have document
          ; format as well, starts with ">doc>"
          ; Allow Text code inserts ...
          enf-add-file-support "doc"