Re: [jasspa] 20060822 version - first impressions

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2006
      Steven Phillips wrote:
> [...]
      >> this functionality under the context menu for the window, i.e., click on
      >> the program's icon in the top left corner. Example: putty.)
      > We can't reliably change the main window (frame) context menu (consider
      > termcap!) but I have attempted to address this issue by popping up an info
      > dialog telling you how to get out of this problem which will only be shown
      > once per session.
      > I have done a similar thing for the Advanced > Record Macro.
      >> (A Windows program might have a toggleable checkmark next to
      >> this menu item, since "View Menu Bar" describes a toggleable state, not
      >> an action. After all, this menu item actually does "Hide Menu Bar".)
      > I will prefix each of these items with the word 'Hide' or 'Show' (there are no
      > reasonably readable checkmarks in a termcap environment).
      >> It seems the menus don't actually show the current bindings of the
      >> commands. (Example: I have F5 and F6 set to scroll the window up and
      >> down by one line. But the menu claims F5 is bound to File>Reread File.)
      > This is correct, the listed key bindings are really aimed to help beginners
      > learn the weird key bindings that make ME so quick to use, they are currently
      > burnt in. Trying to do this dynamically probably won't work much better as
      > many commands are multiply bound so the results may be variable (e.g. C-_
      > listed instead of C-x u for undo etc)
      >> I tried the FTP browser, and couldn't figure out how to get rid of it
      >> easily. (Ended up killing a bunch of buffers and closing a bunch of
      >> windows manually.) It's not like the file browser, where F10 toggles
      >> the thing.
      > Use 'f10', the same is true for 'C-f10 (source control browser) - this is a
      > bit of an oddity but I like the fact this opens the ftp dialog even in ftp
      > mode. Should this be changed?
      > "View>>White Characters" is an awkward label, "View Whitespace" is more
      >> conventional. Newbies might not know what "whitespace" means, but how
      >> many newbies use a programmers' editor.
      > Done - the command display-white-chars has also been renamed to
      > display-whitespaces.
      >> I'm going to have to read up on just what "Tools>Compare Windows" is
      >> supposed to do (since it does not give me a comparison of two windows I
      >> have open, which is what I expected).
      > You should, I find this tool extremely useful.
      > The "Tools>>Document Tools" submenu is awkwardly wide. When you pull the
      >> mouse down the Tools menu, it wants to get stuck on the Document Tools
      >> submenu (because, since it is so wide, it overlaps half of the Tools
      >> menu). This obviously depends on one's window size. (Mine default to
      >> like 80x40.) To shorten the text in the submenu: Maybe the word
      >> "justification" could be changed to "justify" ("Change to center
      >> justify") and think about what to do with that "[DEFAULT]" (which I
      >> don't understand -- will have to rtfm it, and also "justify gutter").
      > This does need reducing in width, this is more Jon's area.

      Pass the buck! Yes I will sort this out, a easy fix. Agreed that it
      needs cleaning up.

      >> I'm not sure I like the popup of the "Show Current Settings" box after
      >> one changes the justification mode. I mean if one just chose "Right"
      >> from the menu, is helpful to have a box pop up saying "You just chose
      >> 'R'." On the other hand, at least it's easy to dismiss, by hitting Enter.
      >> "Sort Lines" really does "Sort Region Lines", doesn't it. If one
      >> doesn't have a region selected, it won't do anything, which might be
      >> confusing.
      > There are many commands like this (Increase Indent seems fairly topical!) the
      > behaviour of these commands with respect to the set-mark region and the
      > currently shown selection is a difficult one to manage and how precisely
      > documenting their behaviour without failing foul of stupidly wide menus is
      > difficult (for example Format's 'All paragraphs to lines' should really be
      > labelled 'All paragraphs to lines except ones before the current cursor
      > position'...).
      > I think what may be of more use here is better feedback by these commands,
      > i.e. they should hilight the region they have just sorted etc.
      >> I found "Load Session" but don't understand it (will have to rtfm what
      >> it actually does -- where is the corresponding "Save Session"??)
      > Docs on sessions have now been added, I have deliberately left Save Session
      > out of the file menu as the session is saved automatically on exit (or loading
      > another session - although this can be changed by session-setup) and therefore
      > of much more limited use and the File menu is at its size limit.

      What was missing from the docs is in me.1

      Basically a me -c<mySessionName>, where <mySessionName> is the name of
      your session (i.e. "jon" for myself) will restore all of of the buffers,
      windows layout, point and mark positions, main window size etc. at the
      point where you last shut down.

      i.e. me -cjon

      restores the session to the state I was in when I exited ME the last
      time. For this to work then do not add any more files for editing to the

      i.e. me -cjon morefiles.txt

      restores the buffers but does not restore the window layout because this
      has been destroyed by the introduction of the new file "morefiles.txt".
      This type of command with another file behaves as the old "me -c"
      command without the session. If <mySessionName> is not specified then
      the buffers are restored but the window layout is not restored.

      You may now have multiple sessions, this is useful if you are working on
      different projects starting the editor with a different session means
      that the hilighting scheme may be different between 2 sessions i.e.
      "blue hue" and "sherwoord forest". Note that the color scheme should be
      changed with "change-scheme" and not with User Setup if you want the
      different sessions to have different color schemes.

      Given the above description I should probably add this to the
      documentation to make this a little clearer.