Re: [jasspa] 2006 RC1
- View SourceDeak, Ferenc wrote:
> There is a change log here, which contains a list of all changesYes you are right this is very much a development log. Will have to sort
> The major changes are:
> - (Hopefully) a more consistent main menu + user interaction
> - file-browser/directory view - new key commands + file-tool
> - major-modes - management of file types
> - sessions - May have multiple different sessions, replaces
> history and exactly restores existing session window+buffer state.
> - ClearCase support
> - Improved CVS support
> - Notes tool improved.
> - rdiff (recursive diff) and xdiff commands
> - kill-word inconsistencies removed
> - jst - Structured text documents (needs some doc).
> - bug fixes, stability + removal inconsistencies.
> Thanks for the list! I've found the chane.log (and the same log in the
> help file), but is is full with
> development logs wich are "user unvisible" changes, that's why I asked
> for a list of user visible changes.
this out a little better in the history section. Maybe after each
release we should start with a visible summary before getting into the
grubby details of every change.
> About the new menus: I think the 'help' menu is definitely not the bestWe also had a problem with this one. In the end opted for help as it was
> place for 'Games', perhaps 'tools' or 'advanced' is better...
out of the way. It does not really fit anywhere - but does need to go
somewhere - bit of compromise because you do not want it cluttering up
the menus when you are in a 'work' mode.
> Best regards
- View SourceDeak, Ferenc wrote:
> Thanks for the new release!Further this message I've updated the change log:
> 2006 RC1 works fine under slackware-current and pclinuxos.
> I've searched the files for something like a short list of new and/or changed features,
> but I didn't found any, is there any list somewhere?
> (I started to compare the two me.ehf files, but thinking about a better solution)
> Ferenc Deak
There is also a new me.ehf help file which includes some documented
An update on the summary that I sent out this morning is below.
Thanks for your comments.
* MainMenu(3) - A more consistent main menu and user dialog
* file-browser(3) - New key bindings to create, delete, copy
files and directories. file-tool-setup(3) allows open actions
to be associated with file types allowing automatic launching
of external tools.
* Introduction of major modes for management of different file
types. buffer-mode-setup(3) assigns a new operating mode to a
buffer affecting the highlighting, indentation, key binding
etc. major-mode-setup(3) configures the behavior of the major
* Introduction of sessions which store the context of editor
including window layout and loaded files. Multiple sessions
may be used, "me -c<sessionName>" restores a specific session.
save-session(3) and read-session(3) handle the restore/saving
of sessions. The existing history commands have been removed.
* ClearCase(3) support for IBM Rational ClearCase.
* cvs(3) improved support within the file-browser(3).
* notes(3) utility extended, new features allow quick notes to
be generated with notes-instant, notes associated with a file
may be added with notes-context.
* rdiff(3) recursive difference and xdiff(3) for access to an
external graphical difference tool.
* forward-kill-word(2) inconsistencies removed.
* Highlighting improved, especially for long script files (html
* jst(8) - Structured text documents (needs some doc).
* insert-password(3) password generation utility for system
administrators who tire of thinking of new passwords.
* Fill columns are now defined on a per buffer basis
* indent-increase(3) and indent-decrease(3) commands introduced
to change the indentation of a region.
* The default date format may be specified by the user with
* Quick directory aliases such as "~proj" or "~work" etc. may be
defined to a longer pathname using alias-path-setup(3).
* Bug fixes and enhancements to existing commands and functions.