Re: [jasspa] 2006 RC1

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 24, 2006
      Deak, Ferenc wrote:
      > There is a change log here, which contains a list of all changes
      >
      > http://www.jasspa.com/dev20060822/change.log
      >
      > The major changes are:
      >
      > - (Hopefully) a more consistent main menu + user interaction
      > - file-browser/directory view - new key commands + file-tool
      > - major-modes - management of file types
      > - sessions - May have multiple different sessions, replaces
      > history and exactly restores existing session window+buffer state.
      > - ClearCase support
      > - Improved CVS support
      > - Notes tool improved.
      > - rdiff (recursive diff) and xdiff commands
      > - kill-word inconsistencies removed
      > - Highlighting improved, especially script files html/php/javascript
      > - jst - Structured text documents (needs some doc).
      > - bug fixes, stability + removal inconsistencies.
      >

      > Thanks for the list! I've found the chane.log (and the same log in the
      > help file), but is is full with
      > development logs wich are "user unvisible" changes, that's why I asked
      > for a list of user visible changes.

      Yes you are right this is very much a development log. Will have to sort
      this out a little better in the history section. Maybe after each
      release we should start with a visible summary before getting into the
      grubby details of every change.

      > About the new menus: I think the 'help' menu is definitely not the best
      > place for 'Games', perhaps 'tools' or 'advanced' is better...

      We also had a problem with this one. In the end opted for help as it was
      out of the way. It does not really fit anywhere - but does need to go
      somewhere - bit of compromise because you do not want it cluttering up
      the menus when you are in a 'work' mode.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 24, 2006
        Deak, Ferenc wrote:
        > Thanks for the new release!
        >
        > 2006 RC1 works fine under slackware-current and pclinuxos.
        >
        > I've searched the files for something like a short list of new and/or changed features,
        > but I didn't found any, is there any list somewhere?
        > (I started to compare the two me.ehf files, but thinking about a better solution)
        >

        > Ferenc Deak

        Further this message I've updated the change log:

        http://www.jasspa.com/dev20060822/change.log

        There is also a new me.ehf help file which includes some documented
        missing commands:

        http://www.jasspa.com/dev20060822/rc1_patches/

        An update on the summary that I sent out this morning is below.

        Thanks for your comments.

        Regards
        Jon

        ++

        * MainMenu(3) - A more consistent main menu and user dialog
        interaction.

        * file-browser(3) - New key bindings to create, delete, copy
        files and directories. file-tool-setup(3) allows open actions
        to be associated with file types allowing automatic launching
        of external tools.

        * Introduction of major modes for management of different file
        types. buffer-mode-setup(3) assigns a new operating mode to a
        buffer affecting the highlighting, indentation, key binding
        etc. major-mode-setup(3) configures the behavior of the major
        mode.

        * Introduction of sessions which store the context of editor
        including window layout and loaded files. Multiple sessions
        may be used, "me -c<sessionName>" restores a specific session.
        save-session(3) and read-session(3) handle the restore/saving
        of sessions. The existing history commands have been removed.

        * ClearCase(3) support for IBM Rational ClearCase.

        * cvs(3) improved support within the file-browser(3).

        * notes(3) utility extended, new features allow quick notes to
        be generated with notes-instant, notes associated with a file
        may be added with notes-context.

        * rdiff(3) recursive difference and xdiff(3) for access to an
        external graphical difference tool.

        * forward-kill-word(2) inconsistencies removed.

        * Highlighting improved, especially for long script files (html
        / php / javascript) where the highlighting used to be lost.

        * jst(8) - Structured text documents (needs some doc).

        * insert-password(3) password generation utility for system
        administrators who tire of thinking of new passwords.

        * Fill columns are now defined on a per buffer basis
        $buffer-fill-col(5).

        * indent-increase(3) and indent-decrease(3) commands introduced
        to change the indentation of a region.

        * The default date format may be specified by the user with
        .ascii-time.format(5).

        * Quick directory aliases such as "~proj" or "~work" etc. may be
        defined to a longer pathname using alias-path-setup(3).

        * Bug fixes and enhancements to existing commands and functions.