Re: [jasspa] 2006 RC1

  • Deak, Ferenc
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 24, 2006
      There is a change log here, which contains a list of all changes

      http://www.jasspa.com/dev20060822/change.log

      The major changes are:

      - (Hopefully) a more consistent main menu + user interaction
      - file-browser/directory view - new key commands + file-tool
      - major-modes - management of file types
      - sessions - May have multiple different sessions, replaces
         history and exactly restores existing session window+buffer state.
      - ClearCase support
      - Improved CVS support
      - Notes tool improved.
      - rdiff (recursive diff) and xdiff commands
      - kill-word inconsistencies removed
      - Highlighting improved, especially script files html/php/javascript
      - jst - Structured text documents (needs some doc).
      - bug fixes, stability + removal inconsistencies.

      Thanks for the list! I've found the chane.log (and the same log in the help file), but is is full with
      development logs wich are "user unvisible" changes, that's why I asked for a list of user visible changes.

      About the new menus: I think the 'help' menu is definitely not the best place for 'Games', perhaps 'tools' or 'advanced' is better...

      Best regards
      feco

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 24, 2006
        Deak, Ferenc wrote:
        > There is a change log here, which contains a list of all changes
        >
        > http://www.jasspa.com/dev20060822/change.log
        >
        > The major changes are:
        >
        > - (Hopefully) a more consistent main menu + user interaction
        > - file-browser/directory view - new key commands + file-tool
        > - major-modes - management of file types
        > - sessions - May have multiple different sessions, replaces
        > history and exactly restores existing session window+buffer state.
        > - ClearCase support
        > - Improved CVS support
        > - Notes tool improved.
        > - rdiff (recursive diff) and xdiff commands
        > - kill-word inconsistencies removed
        > - Highlighting improved, especially script files html/php/javascript
        > - jst - Structured text documents (needs some doc).
        > - bug fixes, stability + removal inconsistencies.
        >

        > Thanks for the list! I've found the chane.log (and the same log in the
        > help file), but is is full with
        > development logs wich are "user unvisible" changes, that's why I asked
        > for a list of user visible changes.

        Yes you are right this is very much a development log. Will have to sort
        this out a little better in the history section. Maybe after each
        release we should start with a visible summary before getting into the
        grubby details of every change.

        > About the new menus: I think the 'help' menu is definitely not the best
        > place for 'Games', perhaps 'tools' or 'advanced' is better...

        We also had a problem with this one. In the end opted for help as it was
        out of the way. It does not really fit anywhere - but does need to go
        somewhere - bit of compromise because you do not want it cluttering up
        the menus when you are in a 'work' mode.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 24, 2006
          Deak, Ferenc wrote:
          > Thanks for the new release!
          >
          > 2006 RC1 works fine under slackware-current and pclinuxos.
          >
          > I've searched the files for something like a short list of new and/or changed features,
          > but I didn't found any, is there any list somewhere?
          > (I started to compare the two me.ehf files, but thinking about a better solution)
          >

          > Ferenc Deak

          Further this message I've updated the change log:

          http://www.jasspa.com/dev20060822/change.log

          There is also a new me.ehf help file which includes some documented
          missing commands:

          http://www.jasspa.com/dev20060822/rc1_patches/

          An update on the summary that I sent out this morning is below.

          Thanks for your comments.

          Regards
          Jon

          ++

          * MainMenu(3) - A more consistent main menu and user dialog
          interaction.

          * file-browser(3) - New key bindings to create, delete, copy
          files and directories. file-tool-setup(3) allows open actions
          to be associated with file types allowing automatic launching
          of external tools.

          * Introduction of major modes for management of different file
          types. buffer-mode-setup(3) assigns a new operating mode to a
          buffer affecting the highlighting, indentation, key binding
          etc. major-mode-setup(3) configures the behavior of the major
          mode.

          * Introduction of sessions which store the context of editor
          including window layout and loaded files. Multiple sessions
          may be used, "me -c<sessionName>" restores a specific session.
          save-session(3) and read-session(3) handle the restore/saving
          of sessions. The existing history commands have been removed.

          * ClearCase(3) support for IBM Rational ClearCase.

          * cvs(3) improved support within the file-browser(3).

          * notes(3) utility extended, new features allow quick notes to
          be generated with notes-instant, notes associated with a file
          may be added with notes-context.

          * rdiff(3) recursive difference and xdiff(3) for access to an
          external graphical difference tool.

          * forward-kill-word(2) inconsistencies removed.

          * Highlighting improved, especially for long script files (html
          / php / javascript) where the highlighting used to be lost.

          * jst(8) - Structured text documents (needs some doc).

          * insert-password(3) password generation utility for system
          administrators who tire of thinking of new passwords.

          * Fill columns are now defined on a per buffer basis
          $buffer-fill-col(5).

          * indent-increase(3) and indent-decrease(3) commands introduced
          to change the indentation of a region.

          * The default date format may be specified by the user with
          .ascii-time.format(5).

          * Quick directory aliases such as "~proj" or "~work" etc. may be
          defined to a longer pathname using alias-path-setup(3).

          * Bug fixes and enhancements to existing commands and functions.