Re: [jasspa] 2006 RC1
There is a change log here, which contains a list of all changes
The major changes are:
- (Hopefully) a more consistent main menu + user interaction
- file-browser/directory view - new key commands + file-tool
- major-modes - management of file types
- sessions - May have multiple different sessions, replaces
history and exactly restores existing session window+buffer state.
- ClearCase support
- Improved CVS support
- Notes tool improved.
- rdiff (recursive diff) and xdiff commands
- kill-word inconsistencies removed
- jst - Structured text documents (needs some doc).
- bug fixes, stability + removal inconsistencies.
Thanks for the list! I've found the chane.log (and the same log in the help file), but is is full with
development logs wich are "user unvisible" changes, that's why I asked for a list of user visible changes.
About the new menus: I think the 'help' menu is definitely not the best place for 'Games', perhaps 'tools' or 'advanced' is better...
- Deak, Ferenc wrote:
> There is a change log here, which contains a list of all changesYes you are right this is very much a development log. Will have to sort
> The major changes are:
> - (Hopefully) a more consistent main menu + user interaction
> - file-browser/directory view - new key commands + file-tool
> - major-modes - management of file types
> - sessions - May have multiple different sessions, replaces
> history and exactly restores existing session window+buffer state.
> - ClearCase support
> - Improved CVS support
> - Notes tool improved.
> - rdiff (recursive diff) and xdiff commands
> - kill-word inconsistencies removed
> - jst - Structured text documents (needs some doc).
> - bug fixes, stability + removal inconsistencies.
> Thanks for the list! I've found the chane.log (and the same log in the
> help file), but is is full with
> development logs wich are "user unvisible" changes, that's why I asked
> for a list of user visible changes.
this out a little better in the history section. Maybe after each
release we should start with a visible summary before getting into the
grubby details of every change.
> About the new menus: I think the 'help' menu is definitely not the bestWe also had a problem with this one. In the end opted for help as it was
> place for 'Games', perhaps 'tools' or 'advanced' is better...
out of the way. It does not really fit anywhere - but does need to go
somewhere - bit of compromise because you do not want it cluttering up
the menus when you are in a 'work' mode.
> Best regards
- Deak, Ferenc wrote:
> Thanks for the new release!Further this message I've updated the change log:
> 2006 RC1 works fine under slackware-current and pclinuxos.
> I've searched the files for something like a short list of new and/or changed features,
> but I didn't found any, is there any list somewhere?
> (I started to compare the two me.ehf files, but thinking about a better solution)
> Ferenc Deak
There is also a new me.ehf help file which includes some documented
An update on the summary that I sent out this morning is below.
Thanks for your comments.
* MainMenu(3) - A more consistent main menu and user dialog
* file-browser(3) - New key bindings to create, delete, copy
files and directories. file-tool-setup(3) allows open actions
to be associated with file types allowing automatic launching
of external tools.
* Introduction of major modes for management of different file
types. buffer-mode-setup(3) assigns a new operating mode to a
buffer affecting the highlighting, indentation, key binding
etc. major-mode-setup(3) configures the behavior of the major
* Introduction of sessions which store the context of editor
including window layout and loaded files. Multiple sessions
may be used, "me -c<sessionName>" restores a specific session.
save-session(3) and read-session(3) handle the restore/saving
of sessions. The existing history commands have been removed.
* ClearCase(3) support for IBM Rational ClearCase.
* cvs(3) improved support within the file-browser(3).
* notes(3) utility extended, new features allow quick notes to
be generated with notes-instant, notes associated with a file
may be added with notes-context.
* rdiff(3) recursive difference and xdiff(3) for access to an
external graphical difference tool.
* forward-kill-word(2) inconsistencies removed.
* Highlighting improved, especially for long script files (html
* jst(8) - Structured text documents (needs some doc).
* insert-password(3) password generation utility for system
administrators who tire of thinking of new passwords.
* Fill columns are now defined on a per buffer basis
* indent-increase(3) and indent-decrease(3) commands introduced
to change the indentation of a region.
* The default date format may be specified by the user with
* Quick directory aliases such as "~proj" or "~work" etc. may be
defined to a longer pathname using alias-path-setup(3).
* Bug fixes and enhancements to existing commands and functions.