For the benefit of the eGroup members, here is a more detailed list of changes
for the new Beta2
1) The use of GNU regex. ME '99 is now using the GNU regex library and is now
fully compatible with Big Emacs, e.g. you can now use word groups such as
"\(first\|second\|third\) choice" etc. The only noticed side effect is
with the empty replacement string, it used to be "\0" its now just "". To
allow this the default replacement string has been disabled.
2) The replacement of prefix1, prefix2 prefix3 and prefix4 commands with a
single prefix command. When bound the global-bind-key command must be
given an argument specifying which prefix is to be bound, i.e.
global-bind-key prefix3 "C-h"
3 global-bind-key prefix "C-h"
We've changed the internal key bit meanings to allow more prefixes, the
old limit was 4, the new limit is documented as 8, although currently 16
are available. We are not sure whether to use a bit to store AltGr as a
separate modifier, reducing the maximum number of prefixes to 8 or to
leave AltGr as "A-C-..." and thereby have 16 prefixes or a free bit to do
something else (please send us you view on this). In the mean time use
prefix 9+ at your peril, they may disappear.
One bad side effect to this change is to recorded keyboard macros which
use the 'special' or named keys. These will not work with the new version,
you will have to re-record them. Note that because of their volatile
nature it is preferable to avoid using the special keys where ever
possible, e.g. use "C-f" instead of "right" etc.
3) Mouse support in completion lists. If you use the commands "find-buffer"
or "find-file" etc and press tab twice to get a completion buffer, in
previous versions the mouse could not be used to scroll the buffer or
select a completion. Basic support has now been added.
4) New keyboard configuration option added to user-setup, this area has
caused the largest number of problems, usually with foreign keyboards on
5) New my-fhook-.... fhook macro extension support.
It is now simple to add your own file type buffer binding without editing
the release files. For example, if I created a new latex command
"my-latex-command" which I wanted bound to "C-c n" I would create a
mylatex.emf macro file in my area (keeping everything I change separate
from the release). In the file I'd add the following:
buffer-bind-key my-latex-command "C-c n"
ml-write "[My latex extensions have been executed]"
set-variable .my-fhook-latex.exec 1
The variable definition at the end informs the latex file hook
(fhook-latex found in hklatex.emf) that the command my-fhook-latex exists
and should be executed (not 0).
This is based on Thomas Hundt extension, except it avoids the "[No such
command ...]" error message when the user does not have an extension.
6) The abbreviation support has been greatly changed, the command
set-abbrev-file has been renamed to buffer-abbrev-file, a new
global-abbrev-file command has been create with the obvious effect. Both
commands now have the ability of force a reload of the abbreviation file
(give an argument of 0). A new general abbreviation handler has been
created (expand-abbrev-handle) bound to "esc esc" which handles all
the following abbreviation types in the following order of priority:
buffer specific abbrev expansion (e.g. macro files)
The last one is a new command, it take the current word and attempts to
expand it in the current language, e.g. in British, given "langua" it will
expand to "language". This feature must be enabled by executing the
set-variable .spell-complete-word.on 1
If you like this feature add the line to you Setup File. The command can
be run separately.
7) Jon fixed the fill-paragraph command so the set-mark position is always
correctly saved and the cursor position is saved if no argument is given
to the command. This behaviour has also been supported (where possible) by
the ifill-paragraph and other formating command.
8) Much better latex support (is it just me or is everyone getting fed up
9) I'm in the process of expanding the mail and vm commands to support a POP3
dial-up type environment using a free program postie (available from
www.download.com). The current version has a $debug line which should be
removed. I hope to have this fully working and stable by the main release.
Other small fixes have been made, e.g. the Match-It hi-score was broken, which
I wont bore you with. Hopefully the documentation has also been kept
This is an unmoderated list. JASSPA is not responsible for the content of
any material posted to this list.