2006 RC1

  • Deak, Ferenc
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2006
      Thanks for the new release!

      2006 RC1 works fine under slackware-current and pclinuxos.

      I've searched the files for something like a short list of new and/or changed features,
      but I didn't found any, is there any list somewhere?
      (I started to compare the two me.ehf files, but thinking about a better solution)

      Ferenc Deak
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 24, 2006
        Deak, Ferenc wrote:
        > Thanks for the new release!
        >
        > 2006 RC1 works fine under slackware-current and pclinuxos.
        >
        > I've searched the files for something like a short list of new and/or changed features,
        > but I didn't found any, is there any list somewhere?
        > (I started to compare the two me.ehf files, but thinking about a better solution)
        >

        > Ferenc Deak

        Hi Ferenc,

        There is a change log here, which contains a list of all changes

        http://www.jasspa.com/dev20060822/change.log

        The major changes are:

        - (Hopefully) a more consistent main menu + user interaction
        - file-browser/directory view - new key commands + file-tool
        - major-modes - management of file types
        - sessions - May have multiple different sessions, replaces
        history and exactly restores existing session window+buffer state.
        - ClearCase support
        - Improved CVS support
        - Notes tool improved.
        - rdiff (recursive diff) and xdiff commands
        - kill-word inconsistencies removed
        - Highlighting improved, especially script files html/php/javascript
        - jst - Structured text documents (needs some doc).
        - bug fixes, stability + removal inconsistencies.

      • Deak, Ferenc
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 24, 2006
          There is a change log here, which contains a list of all changes

          http://www.jasspa.com/dev20060822/change.log

          The major changes are:

          - (Hopefully) a more consistent main menu + user interaction
          - file-browser/directory view - new key commands + file-tool
          - major-modes - management of file types
          - sessions - May have multiple different sessions, replaces
             history and exactly restores existing session window+buffer state.
          - ClearCase support
          - Improved CVS support
          - Notes tool improved.
          - rdiff (recursive diff) and xdiff commands
          - kill-word inconsistencies removed
          - Highlighting improved, especially script files html/php/javascript
          - jst - Structured text documents (needs some doc).
          - bug fixes, stability + removal inconsistencies.

          Thanks for the list! I've found the chane.log (and the same log in the help file), but is is full with
          development logs wich are "user unvisible" changes, that's why I asked for a list of user visible changes.

          About the new menus: I think the 'help' menu is definitely not the best place for 'Games', perhaps 'tools' or 'advanced' is better...

          Best regards
          feco

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 24, 2006
            Deak, Ferenc wrote:
            > There is a change log here, which contains a list of all changes
            >
            > http://www.jasspa.com/dev20060822/change.log
            >
            > The major changes are:
            >
            > - (Hopefully) a more consistent main menu + user interaction
            > - file-browser/directory view - new key commands + file-tool
            > - major-modes - management of file types
            > - sessions - May have multiple different sessions, replaces
            > history and exactly restores existing session window+buffer state.
            > - ClearCase support
            > - Improved CVS support
            > - Notes tool improved.
            > - rdiff (recursive diff) and xdiff commands
            > - kill-word inconsistencies removed
            > - Highlighting improved, especially script files html/php/javascript
            > - jst - Structured text documents (needs some doc).
            > - bug fixes, stability + removal inconsistencies.
            >

            > Thanks for the list! I've found the chane.log (and the same log in the
            > help file), but is is full with
            > development logs wich are "user unvisible" changes, that's why I asked
            > for a list of user visible changes.

            Yes you are right this is very much a development log. Will have to sort
            this out a little better in the history section. Maybe after each
            release we should start with a visible summary before getting into the
            grubby details of every change.

            > About the new menus: I think the 'help' menu is definitely not the best
            > place for 'Games', perhaps 'tools' or 'advanced' is better...

            We also had a problem with this one. In the end opted for help as it was
            out of the way. It does not really fit anywhere - but does need to go
            somewhere - bit of compromise because you do not want it cluttering up
            the menus when you are in a 'work' mode.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 24, 2006
              Deak, Ferenc wrote:
              > Thanks for the new release!
              >
              > 2006 RC1 works fine under slackware-current and pclinuxos.
              >
              > I've searched the files for something like a short list of new and/or changed features,
              > but I didn't found any, is there any list somewhere?
              > (I started to compare the two me.ehf files, but thinking about a better solution)
              >

              > Ferenc Deak

              Further this message I've updated the change log:

              http://www.jasspa.com/dev20060822/change.log

              There is also a new me.ehf help file which includes some documented
              missing commands:

              http://www.jasspa.com/dev20060822/rc1_patches/

              An update on the summary that I sent out this morning is below.

              Thanks for your comments.

              Regards
              Jon

              ++

              * MainMenu(3) - A more consistent main menu and user dialog
              interaction.

              * file-browser(3) - New key bindings to create, delete, copy
              files and directories. file-tool-setup(3) allows open actions
              to be associated with file types allowing automatic launching
              of external tools.

              * Introduction of major modes for management of different file
              types. buffer-mode-setup(3) assigns a new operating mode to a
              buffer affecting the highlighting, indentation, key binding
              etc. major-mode-setup(3) configures the behavior of the major
              mode.

              * Introduction of sessions which store the context of editor
              including window layout and loaded files. Multiple sessions
              may be used, "me -c<sessionName>" restores a specific session.
              save-session(3) and read-session(3) handle the restore/saving
              of sessions. The existing history commands have been removed.

              * ClearCase(3) support for IBM Rational ClearCase.

              * cvs(3) improved support within the file-browser(3).

              * notes(3) utility extended, new features allow quick notes to
              be generated with notes-instant, notes associated with a file
              may be added with notes-context.

              * rdiff(3) recursive difference and xdiff(3) for access to an
              external graphical difference tool.

              * forward-kill-word(2) inconsistencies removed.

              * Highlighting improved, especially for long script files (html
              / php / javascript) where the highlighting used to be lost.

              * jst(8) - Structured text documents (needs some doc).

              * insert-password(3) password generation utility for system
              administrators who tire of thinking of new passwords.

              * Fill columns are now defined on a per buffer basis
              $buffer-fill-col(5).

              * indent-increase(3) and indent-decrease(3) commands introduced
              to change the indentation of a region.

              * The default date format may be specified by the user with
              .ascii-time.format(5).

              * Quick directory aliases such as "~proj" or "~work" etc. may be
              defined to a longer pathname using alias-path-setup(3).

              * Bug fixes and enhancements to existing commands and functions.