Re: [jasspa] Major mode - request for feedback

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2006
      > However at 80 char width (i.e. a standard terminal) there is no room
      > for another main menu item

      Well, if it's a question of menu space, that's an easy one: Kill off
      that Insert menu. That thing's pretty useless, menu-wise. Buffer or
      File menu could have the Insert File command; Edit could have the Insert
      Symbol command; and the Macro thing, why isn't it under Execute with the
      rest of the macro stuff? Done!

      Speaking of which... I never, ever, use the Execute menu, because I have
      those functions memorized from long ago. (Probably, we all do.)
      Everything in it could be
      under Tools, since macros are actually tools. Execute Buffer could be
      under a Buffer menu, Execute File could be under File... or it all could
      be under Macros somewhere... But, since Tools is getting pretty long, if
      nothing else, how about we rename Execute to Macro as the menu title,
      since that's what it's actually concerned with? (People know what a
      macro is; they may not know that one "executes" them. Many people "run"
      theirs. Especially the VB folks!)

      The Search menu is pretty useless and could all be under Edit (search)
      and/or Buffer/File (goto/bookmark). Most programs have Search/Replace
      under Edit.

      > So who fancies creating a new main menu layout? Or at least proposing
      > a set of top level menu names which will fit into 80 chars?

      To summarize: remove Insert menu; remove Search menu; rename Execute
      menu to Macro; add Buffer menu. That'd be my proposal.

      -Th

      Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698