Major mode - request for feedback

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
      I would like feed back on the file-hook/major-mode changes outlined
      below:

      1) The current 'buffer-setup' command (Help -> Buffer Setup ...) does
      not really setup the current buffer, it actually edits the current
      buffer's file-hook setup (e.g. if editing foo.c, running buffer-setup
      will edit the C file-hook (or major-mode) setup which will effect any C
      file loaded after and can be applied to the Current buffer).
      buffer-setup should only effect the current buffer and should have major
      mode, buffer mode (or minor mode), indentation and hilight settings etc.

      2) Need a new buffer-major-mode command to set the buffer's major mode,
      e.g.:

      buffer-major-mode "c" - Use C major mode
      buffer-major-mode "emf" - Use ME macro major mode
      buffer-major-mode "" - Use no major mode
      -1 buffer-major-mode - Use no major mode

      3) Need a new major-mode-setup command which is just a rename of the
      current buffer-setup command.

      Questions:

      a) In user-setup and the current buffer-setup dialogs the terms 'Search
      mode' and 'Buffer mode' are used, should these be changed to 'Search
      mode' and 'Minor mode' or single 'Minor Mode' or left as they are?

      b) Should we change the current buffer-mode command to buffer-minor-mode
      to help create the distinction between the existing buffer modes (exact,
      wrap, justify, backup, autosv etc) and the new major mode concept?

      c) Given the new buffer-setup command will have all the settings
      currently found in indent-setup (Format -> Indentation Setup ...) is
      this command still required?

      d) Where should the new buffer-setup be placed in the main menu? I don't
      think the Help menu is correct, is it a File, Format or Tools item??

      Is there anything I've missed?

      Steve
    • Gadrin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
        > d) Where should the new buffer-setup be placed in the main menu? I
        don't
        > think the Help menu is correct, is it a File, Format or Tools item??

        Tools seems the most logical, as Format deals with the contents of the
        buffer and File seems external.

        It's almost a "meta-category" and more of an "editor config" type of
        operation, which I think would fit inside Tools.
      • Christof Boeckler
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2006
          Phillips, Steven schrieb:
          > I would like feed back on the file-hook/major-mode changes outlined
          > below:

          > Questions:
          >
          > a) In user-setup and the current buffer-setup dialogs the terms 'Search
          > mode' and 'Buffer mode' are used, should these be changed to 'Search
          > mode' and 'Minor mode' or single 'Minor Mode' or left as they are?

          Major/Minor sounds good to me.

          > b) Should we change the current buffer-mode command to buffer-minor-mode
          > to help create the distinction between the existing buffer modes (exact,
          > wrap, justify, backup, autosv etc) and the new major mode concept?

          Yes. Clarity first!

          > c) Given the new buffer-setup command will have all the settings
          > currently found in indent-setup (Format -> Indentation Setup ...) is
          > this command still required?

          No.

          > d) Where should the new buffer-setup be placed in the main menu? I don't
          > think the Help menu is correct, is it a File, Format or Tools item??

          Tools sounds not too bad. It's not content related, but mode related.
          That seems to be a meta level.

          > Is there anything I've missed?
          >
          > Steve

          Christof
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2006
            Okay, here are some thoughts for you.

            > Questions:
            >
            > a) In user-setup and the current buffer-setup dialogs the terms 'Search
            > mode' and 'Buffer mode' are used, should these be changed to 'Search
            > mode' and 'Minor mode' or single 'Minor Mode' or left as they are?

            > b) Should we change the current buffer-mode command to buffer-minor-mode
            > to help create the distinction between the existing buffer modes (exact,
            > wrap, justify, backup, autosv etc) and the new major mode concept?

            The word "mode" is overloaded.

            I would rename "modes" (the list of toggles/flags) to "settings".
            As in: "the buffer is SET to create automatic backups", "the buffer is
            SET to wrap words automatically".

            Then, if you want to introduce a "major mode", you can state quite
            clearly what that is. And leaves the door open to introducing "minor
            modes" for subsections of a file (e.g., a java code listing inside a
            text file). That's what you're moving towards, isn't it? (That's what
            GNU does, to my knowledge. Maybe I'm wrong about what they call a
            "minor mode".)

            > c) Given the new buffer-setup command will have all the settings
            > currently found in indent-setup (Format -> Indentation Setup ...) is
            > this command still required?

            Indent Setup doesn't look too useful, especially if you migrate its
            content to Buffer Setup.

            BUFFERS

            > d) Where should the new buffer-setup be placed in the main menu? I don't
            > think the Help menu is correct, is it a File, Format or Tools item??

            Put all the things having to do with buffers in a Buffer menu next to
            the File menu. Buffer "modes" (settings), buffer major mode setting,
            buffer minor mode setting, buffer restyle command, list buffers... all
            that stuff.

            That way, all the dynamic (temporary, not permanent) settings would be
            under Buffers, and all the permanent settings would be somewhere else
            (see below).

            If Buffer items can't be under their own menu, the second choice is
            under File. Since everything there pertains to operations dealing with
            the entire file one is currently viewing (and a buffer is just the
            window into that file), that is a logical place for buffer-global
            settings and operations.

            > Is there anything I've missed?

            PREFERENCES

            Put all preferences (all setups) in one place. Typically software uses
            Tools>Preferences or Tools>Options for this. (And by "software" I mean
            Mozilla, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Office. Which probably
            accounts for 90% of software usage, in hours, worldwide today. So I
            think it's safe to say people will know to look there for setting
            preferences.) The only preference that should stay where it is, is the
            Print Setup, because that's where people know to look for it.

            Example: I never saw the Format>Indentation Setup nor the Help>Buffer
            Setup features until I read about them just now above, because I don't
            think to look in those places for settings. I've gotten used to User
            Setup being where it is, but don't really like it being there.

            HELP

            Nothing under Help should do anything but give information.

            Most especially, there should be nothing there that sets preferences.
            No popular software does so, with the exception of
            registration/activation/repair of the installation, and settings having
            to do with the operation of the help subsystem itself, e.g., that damned
            Office paperclip.

            The Help on the current major mode should say that's what it is. For
            example, mine says "View reg Help" right now, because I did the
            Help>List Registry command. If I don't happen to know what "reg" means
            and that this is where the "Give help on major mode" command usually is,
            that's not too useful.

            The Help popup is cumbersome, mainly because it can't be moved off the
            frame out of the way of the actual help text. (This is where the MS Win
            helpfile format help is a little better: one can move the search box
            away.) And also, the darn thing disappears. (How to get back one's
            search results to try the next one, and the one after that?)

            Opening a full-size help window is usually more useful. The only
            problem with that is, one can't use the Index. I prefer to run the MS
            Help format version of the helpfile just so I can get the search/index
            features and be able to view the text, at the same time, and not lose
            the search result set.

            I guess one solution would be to have the functionality of the popup in
            the top half of a split frame, and the text (from the clicked-on search
            result) appear in the bottom half. I would make this pop up in a new
            frame, and have a really nice help functionality.

            Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2006

              I agree that 'mode' is overloaded, but isn't set/setting/setup even more
              overloaded?
              Looking specifically at 'over' buffer-mode as this is available in most
              editors, the phases 'overwrite mode' or 'overtype mode' (as Word's help
              calls it) seem dominant; in Big emacs you change this mode by executing
              the command 'overwrite-mode'. So given your point that the term
              'minor-mode' should be used so sections of a file (I.e. java code within
              a html file - which does seem to be what Emacs uses the term for)
              perhaps the following is correct:

              buffer-mode - to set modes like 'over', 'exact' etc. as per
              today
              buffer-major-mode - to set the buffer's file type (or 'fhook')
              buffer-minor-mode - term which could be used to refer to the
              'file-type' of the buffer at the current location.

              I think this makes sense and has the further benefit of not being a big
              change.

              > > c) Given the new buffer-setup command will have all the settings
              > > currently found in indent-setup (Format -> Indentation
              > Setup ...) is
              > > this command still required?
              >
              > Indent Setup doesn't look too useful, especially if you
              > migrate its content to Buffer Setup.

              Agreed

              > BUFFERS
              >
              > > d) Where should the new buffer-setup be placed in the main menu? I
              > > don't think the Help menu is correct, is it a File, Format
              > or Tools item??
              >
              > Put all the things having to do with buffers in a Buffer menu
              > next to the File menu. Buffer "modes" (settings), buffer
              > major mode setting, buffer minor mode setting, buffer restyle
              > command, list buffers... all that stuff.
              >
              > That way, all the dynamic (temporary, not permanent) settings
              > would be under Buffers, and all the permanent settings would
              > be somewhere else (see below).
              >
              > If Buffer items can't be under their own menu, the second
              > choice is under File. Since everything there pertains to
              > operations dealing with the entire file one is currently
              > viewing (and a buffer is just the window into that file),
              > that is a logical place for buffer-global settings and operations.

              Like you I think this is a buffer operation and not a file one, after
              all it does not change a file.
              However at 80 char width (i.e. a standard terminal) there is no room for
              another main menu item, and without a 'Buffer' main menu my second
              choice would not be File, I would go for Tools. Emacs has these settings
              in a top level 'Options' menu which I think is a little limp (I don't
              like the Emacs main menu at all). I have several issues with the layout
              of the current main menu:
              - I agree with you point about user-setup and the Help menu so
              that should be fixed
              - The 'Find Tags' should be moved to Search->Goto Tag
              - The Execute & Tools menus probably should be merge

              So who fancies creating a new main menu layout? Or at least proposing a
              set of top level menu names which will fit into 80 chars?

              BTW, I understand and equally suffer with the OSD help interface,
              however I still have not managed to find a sensible solution. When I do
              I'll throw it your way,

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 8, 2006
                > However at 80 char width (i.e. a standard terminal) there is no room
                > for another main menu item

                Well, if it's a question of menu space, that's an easy one: Kill off
                that Insert menu. That thing's pretty useless, menu-wise. Buffer or
                File menu could have the Insert File command; Edit could have the Insert
                Symbol command; and the Macro thing, why isn't it under Execute with the
                rest of the macro stuff? Done!

                Speaking of which... I never, ever, use the Execute menu, because I have
                those functions memorized from long ago. (Probably, we all do.)
                Everything in it could be
                under Tools, since macros are actually tools. Execute Buffer could be
                under a Buffer menu, Execute File could be under File... or it all could
                be under Macros somewhere... But, since Tools is getting pretty long, if
                nothing else, how about we rename Execute to Macro as the menu title,
                since that's what it's actually concerned with? (People know what a
                macro is; they may not know that one "executes" them. Many people "run"
                theirs. Especially the VB folks!)

                The Search menu is pretty useless and could all be under Edit (search)
                and/or Buffer/File (goto/bookmark). Most programs have Search/Replace
                under Edit.

                > So who fancies creating a new main menu layout? Or at least proposing
                > a set of top level menu names which will fit into 80 chars?

                To summarize: remove Insert menu; remove Search menu; rename Execute
                menu to Macro; add Buffer menu. That'd be my proposal.

                -Th