question about notes

  • Deak, Ferenc
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31 3:33 AM
      Hello,

      I've started to use the notes interface, and I have a question about its satbility.
      Is it suitable to use it for notes larger than 100K? How many people using it seriously?
      What about its speed with large files?

      Thanks in advance,
      Ferenc Deak

      PS,
      by the way, is there any plan when this year's version will be released?
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31 1:08 PM
        Deak, Ferenc wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I've started to use the notes interface, and I have a question about its satbility.
        > Is it suitable to use it for notes larger than 100K?

        100K is a book isn't it? It is hardly a note.

        How many people using it seriously?

        Well I use it nearly everyday if that is called seriously. My notes are
        typically a 1 or 2 pages long I do not have 100K in there. I have just
        put 950K in and it seems OK. I don't think people are committing such
        huge volumes of data that is not really what it is designed for.

        For your 100K slabs of data you might be better off with a 'link'. To
        create a link then put in an absolute path to the file i.e.
        ~docs/my_big_slab_of_text.txt or c:/docs/my_big_slab_of_text.txt
        (whatever your system). Then select this file name (highlight the text)
        and right click with mouse to get "Create link". Create the link and add
        a suitable link name - this is what you will see on the screen.

        Now the note is small, your source control system etc. will look after
        the document protection at the end of the link and you can still access
        it from Notes - just select the link.

        I think if you are seriously considering such large blocks of data and
        lots of them then this is a better way to manage it.

        > What about its speed with large files?

        The larger it is the longer it will take to both load and search. If it
        gets too big then your machine may start swapping (depending on how much
        memory you have) and it will get real slow.

        > Thanks in advance,
        > Ferenc Deak
        >
        > PS,
        > by the way, is there any plan when this year's version will be released?

        Well there is no plan as such we keep saying it must be done but I've
        been really busy on some other work for the last 6 months and time has
        got in the way. I am miles behind with the documentation and need to
        sort out the foreign keyboard stuff on UNIX which is top of my list (but
        below some of the other things I have to do at the moment). Maybe we can
        push a pre-release for a few platforms without all of the documentation
        updates if you want a beta version - note that this is still going to be
        stable but not what we would call product (but probably better than the
        last release). A 'golden' version is likely to be 3 months away i.e. a
        release that is complete with all of the documentation and has been
        fully tested and built across all platforms with packages and has had at
        least 1 release candidate - this always takes a long time to prepare.

      • Deak, Ferenc
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31 9:33 PM
          > > I've started to use the notes interface, and I have a question about its satbility.
          > > Is it suitable to use it for notes larger than 100K?
          >
          > 100K is a book isn't it? It is hardly a note.

          Oh, sorry, I meant that the whole notes file is larger than 100 or 200k. Sorry.

          I've used a lot of note taking programs, and never realised that 'jasspa' has
          a 'notes' feature. 'Jasspa' is always available to me (the first program I compile on a
          new system) so I started to use its 'notes', I have more than 200k of notes in different
          files, which I started to convert, even I have note files where I don't know the program
          with which it was made in the past.. (I hope this sentence is more or less ok in english...)

          > > How many people using it seriously?
          >
          > Well I use it nearly everyday if that is called seriously.

          Yes it is called. If notes is the developer's notes that's enough :-)
          There are programs, where some features are not so widely used and tested
          than the main features...

          > > PS,
          > > by the way, is there any plan when this year's version will be released?
          > >

          > Well there is no plan as such we keep saying it must be done but I've
          > been really busy on some other work for the last 6 months and time has
          > got in the way. I am miles behind with the documentation and need to
          > sort out the foreign keyboard stuff on UNIX which is top of my list (but
          > below some of the other things I have to do at the moment). Maybe we can
          > push a pre-release for a few platforms without all of the documentation
          > updates if you want a beta version - note that this is still going to be
          > stable but not what we would call product (but probably better than the
          > last release). A 'golden' version is likely to be 3 months away i.e. a
          > release that is complete with all of the documentation and has been
          > fully tested and built across all platforms with packages and has had at
          > least 1 release candidate - this always takes a long time to prepare.

          Thanks for this answer. I (and I think some other list members) would be more than
          happy, if we could help at least in the early testing. So if you think you could put a
          new test version to jasspa.com

          Thanks for your quick answer, and sorry for my bad composition,
          Ferenc Deak
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2006
            Deak, Ferenc wrote:
            >>> I've started to use the notes interface, and I have a question about its satbility.
            >>> Is it suitable to use it for notes larger than 100K?
            >> 100K is a book isn't it? It is hardly a note.
            >
            > Oh, sorry, I meant that the whole notes file is larger than 100 or 200k. Sorry.

            Hi Ferenc,

            Sorry I thought you were proposing large single notes and were
            considering a note file in the 250MB-1GB range. 100K for the whole notes
            file is fine. My notes file is currently 1.2M and still growing and have
            not had any problems with it at all with respect to speed. I have not
            lost any information and I still consider the file to be very small. I
            must admit I do find it very useful a good place to put all those small
            bits of information that would otherwise get lost.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 5, 2006
              There have been significant improvements to notes in the latest version of ME, including improvements to the notes frame and narrow handling and new notes-instant and notes-context commands.

              There have been a few email threads and issues raised that concern the buffer file-hook usage, I am currently trying to address some of these issues by creating a few 'major-mode' type commands (big emacs terminology), see next email. Once these are done I think we will be ready to create a release.