RE: [jasspa] bindings, notes, etc

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
      Alex,

      > 1. i do really like Notes utility and use it a lot -- but is
      > it possible to bind some keys to switch between it's
      > sections? i mean, i have a tree like that:
      >
      > +- Software
      > +- Cross-platform
      > +- MicroEmacs
      >
      > and while in right (notes) pane i want to use let's say, C-up
      > / C-down to go through the whole tree without a need to
      > switch back to the left
      > (tree) pane. is it possible to make such a binding? sorry if
      > i described it a bit chaotic :).

      Do you mean that if showing MicroEmacs, C-up would move to
      Cross-platform, and change the note being shown on the right hand side?

      I personally use C-up (move 5 lines) too much to ever contemplate
      rebinding it in a text buffer. Further you really need tree navigation
      keys, i.e. the ability to:

      Go to parent
      Go to first child
      Go to prev sibling
      Go to next sibling

      And the bindings must not effect general buffer navigation and editing -
      anyone got any ideas on what bindings should be used?

      > 2. F10 is a shortcut to open / close the filemanager. is it
      > possible to bind, e.g., F9 the same way to open and close
      > Notes utility? i use global-bind-key notes "F9" to open, but
      > how should i bind it in order to close when open? i know
      > there is buffer-bind-key but can't find out how to properly
      > use it in this case...

      I have already bound f10 to hide the notes frame, this will be in the
      next release, so you can use whatever key-binding you like to open notes
      and f10 to close it (I have made quite a few changes in this area to
      make it work much better).

      > 4. and, btw, how can i exit ME without any additional
      > questions? :) i mean, if i do not want to save anything --
      > something similar to vi's ":q!" :)

      8 exit-emacs

      Steve
    • Alex Sa
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
        On 4/27/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:

        > > 1. i do really like Notes utility and use it a lot -- but is
        > > it possible to bind some keys to switch between it's
        > > sections? i mean, i have a tree like that:
        > >
        > > +- Software
        > > +- Cross-platform
        > > +- MicroEmacs
        > >
        > > and while in right (notes) pane i want to use let's say, C-up
        > > / C-down to go through the whole tree without a need to
        > > switch back to the left
        > > (tree) pane. is it possible to make such a binding? sorry if
        > > i described it a bit chaotic :).
        > Do you mean that if showing MicroEmacs, C-up would move to
        > Cross-platform, and change the note being shown on the right hand side?

        yes, exactly. is it possible -- to change nodes without switching to
        left (tree) panel?

        > > 2. F10 is a shortcut to open / close the filemanager. is it
        > > possible to bind, e.g., F9 the same way to open and close
        > > Notes utility? i use global-bind-key notes "F9" to open, but
        > > how should i bind it in order to close when open? i know
        > > there is buffer-bind-key but can't find out how to properly
        > > use it in this case...
        > I have already bound f10 to hide the notes frame, this will be in the
        > next release, so you can use whatever key-binding you like to open notes
        > and f10 to close it (I have made quite a few changes in this area to
        > make it work much better).

        for now F10 (pressed while in Notes) brings up a file-manager.
        however, i surely can bind some key to notes-close, but i'd like to
        implement the scheme from file-browser: one key opens and closes
        utility. it seems to me very handy... is it possible? how it is done
        in the file-browser?

        > > 4. and, btw, how can i exit ME without any additional
        > > questions? :) i mean, if i do not want to save anything --
        > > something similar to vi's ":q!" :)
        > 8 exit-emacs

        how can i bind it to some key? global-bind-key "8 exit-emacs" "f2"
        doesn't seem to work :).

        --
        as
      • Bruno Sabin
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
          > how can i bind it to some key? global-bind-key "8 exit-emacs" "f2"
          > doesn't seem to work :).
          try:

          8 global-bind-key exit-emacs f2

          --
          bruno

          Alex Sa said the following on 27/04/06 19:18:
          > On 4/27/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:
          >
          > > > 1. i do really like Notes utility and use it a lot -- but is
          > > > it possible to bind some keys to switch between it's
          > > > sections? i mean, i have a tree like that:
          > > >
          > > > +- Software
          > > > +- Cross-platform
          > > > +- MicroEmacs
          > > >
          > > > and while in right (notes) pane i want to use let's say, C-up
          > > > / C-down to go through the whole tree without a need to
          > > > switch back to the left
          > > > (tree) pane. is it possible to make such a binding? sorry if
          > > > i described it a bit chaotic :).
          > > Do you mean that if showing MicroEmacs, C-up would move to
          > > Cross-platform, and change the note being shown on the right hand side?
          >
          > yes, exactly. is it possible -- to change nodes without switching to
          > left (tree) panel?
          >
          > > > 2. F10 is a shortcut to open / close the filemanager. is it
          > > > possible to bind, e.g., F9 the same way to open and close
          > > > Notes utility? i use global-bind-key notes "F9" to open, but
          > > > how should i bind it in order to close when open? i know
          > > > there is buffer-bind-key but can't find out how to properly
          > > > use it in this case...
          > > I have already bound f10 to hide the notes frame, this will be in the
          > > next release, so you can use whatever key-binding you like to open notes
          > > and f10 to close it (I have made quite a few changes in this area to
          > > make it work much better).
          >
          > for now F10 (pressed while in Notes) brings up a file-manager.
          > however, i surely can bind some key to notes-close, but i'd like to
          > implement the scheme from file-browser: one key opens and closes
          > utility. it seems to me very handy... is it possible? how it is done
          > in the file-browser?
          >
          > > > 4. and, btw, how can i exit ME without any additional
          > > > questions? :) i mean, if i do not want to save anything --
          > > > something similar to vi's ":q!" :)
          > > 8 exit-emacs
          >
          > how can i bind it to some key? global-bind-key "8 exit-emacs" "f2"
          > doesn't seem to work :).
          >

          > --
          > as

          > Computer security
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Computer+security&w2=Computer+training&c=2&s=46&.sig=BHmcxBg5sKfN9-gcWnJWDg>
          > Computer training
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Computer+security&w2=Computer+training&c=2&s=46&.sig=v0JjJWA4s7mLnWQWdFxuTQ>

        • Alex Sa
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
            On 4/27/06, Bruno Sabin <bsabin@...> wrote:
            > > how can i bind it to some key? global-bind-key "8 exit-emacs" "f2"
            > > doesn't seem to work :).
            > try:
            > 8 global-bind-key exit-emacs f2

            thanks, Bruno, it really works :).

            --
            as
          • Alex Sa
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
              On 4/27/06, Alex Sa <nesmrtelnost@...> wrote:
              > > > how can i bind it to some key? global-bind-key "8 exit-emacs" "f2"
              > > > doesn't seem to work :).
              > > try:
              > > 8 global-bind-key exit-emacs f2
              > thanks, Bruno, it really works :).

              btw, ME cannot use F13, F14, etc (those functional keys that follows
              F12), am i right?

            • andrew.blank
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
                > btw, ME cannot use F13, F14, etc (those functional keys that follows
                > F12), am i right?

                While you are talking about key-bindings now - do you know, is it
                possible to change F1 shortcut to any other (I'd prefer F9, since it
                is the most usual shortcut to bring up menus)?

                Also, is it possible to change file-browser's hotkey F10 to any other
                (keeping the possibility to open and close the file-browser with the
                one hotkey)?

                Andrew.
              • Alex Sa
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2006
                  On 4/27/06, Alex Sa <nesmrtelnost@...> wrote:

                  > > Do you mean that if showing MicroEmacs, C-up would move to
                  > > Cross-platform, and change the note being shown on the right hand side?
                  > yes, exactly. is it possible -- to change nodes without switching to
                  > left (tree) panel?

                  may it's possible to macro such movements for now? i have quite big
                  amount of nodes at the left side and moving among them is a real pain:
                  switch window, use arrows, press enter to select (which, btw, also
                  closes all child nodes), switch window again (or press tab)... :)

                  may be some macros guru could advise me something here? :)

                  > > > 2. F10 is a shortcut to open / close the filemanager. is it
                  > > > possible to bind, e.g., F9 the same way to open and close
                  > > > Notes utility? i use global-bind-key notes "F9" to open, but
                  > > > how should i bind it in order to close when open? i know
                  > > > there is buffer-bind-key but can't find out how to properly
                  > > > use it in this case...
                  > > I have already bound f10 to hide the notes frame, this will be in the
                  > > next release, so you can use whatever key-binding you like to open notes
                  > > and f10 to close it (I have made quite a few changes in this area to
                  > > make it work much better).

                  something similar here -- is it possible to macro or translate or do
                  something else :) in order to open / close Notes with *one* key --
                  just like file-browser acts?

                  and one more question -- when i press "(" and then ")" aka closing
                  bracket, the cursor is placed for a certain moment at the "(" aka
                  opening bracket and then -- just after the ")".
                  is it possible to disable such behaviour? do not want the cursor to
                  jump anywhere :).

                  thanks.

                  --
                  as
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2, 2006
                    Alex

                    > > > Do you mean that if showing MicroEmacs, C-up would move to
                    > > > Cross-platform, and change the note being shown on the
                    > right hand side?
                    > > yes, exactly. is it possible -- to change nodes without
                    > switching to
                    > > left (tree) panel?
                    >
                    > may it's possible to macro such movements for now? i have
                    > quite big amount of nodes at the left side and moving among
                    > them is a real pain:
                    > switch window, use arrows, press enter to select (which, btw,
                    > also closes all child nodes), switch window again (or press tab)... :)

                    Use space instead of enter.

                    > may be some macros guru could advise me something here? :)

                    I have created macros to do this and bound them to C-page-up & down -
                    this will be in the next release.

                    > how should
                    > it in this
                    > > > I have already bound f10 to hide the notes frame, this will be in
                    > > > the next release, so you can use whatever key-binding you like to
                    > > > open notes and f10 to close it (I have made quite a few
                    > changes in
                    > > > this area to make it work much better).
                    >
                    > something similar here -- is it possible to macro or
                    > translate or do something else :) in order to open / close
                    > Notes with *one* key -- just like file-browser acts?

                    I have changed the main 'notes' command to hide the notes if currently
                    visible, so if you bind the notes command to f9 pressing f9 will open
                    notes, press it again will close notes. Available in the next release.

                    > and one more question -- when i press "(" and then ")" aka
                    > closing bracket, the cursor is placed for a certain moment at
                    > the "(" aka opening bracket and then -- just after the ")".
                    > is it possible to disable such behaviour? do not want the
                    > cursor to jump anywhere :).

                    See user-setup -> Platform -> Fence Display setting

                    Steve
                  • Alex Sa
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2, 2006
                      Stephen, that's really brilliant, thank you a lot! :)

                      On 5/2/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:

                      <skipped>

                      --
                      as
                    • Alex Sa
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 15, 2006
                        On 5/2/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:

                        > I have created macros to do this and bound them to C-page-up & down -
                        > this will be in the next release.

                        while talking about the next release: for now it's impossible to use
                        Notes in splitted window (e.g., Notes at the top, open file at the
                        bottom). don't you plan to add such feature to ME? (probably, it's
                        somehow connected with the absence of Notes in buffer's list?)

                        --
                        as
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 25, 2006
                          Getting the two windows (the tree and the note window) tied together and not
                          trashed by other commands (or the user) is extremely difficult (see the
                          file-browser) which is why I have elected to use a different frame.

                          What may be possible is to use an external frame (i.e. another window), if
                          this would be of use I could look into it, that said now that notes open and
                          close with f9 I think most of the major usability issues are resolved.

                          Steve