Re: bindings, notes, etc

  • Alex Sa
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
      --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Sa" <nesmrtelnost@...> wrote:
      > 3. in Notes "Insert" key is used to create a new note. but... there is
      > no such key on Mac keyboards :). which command should i use in order
      > to rebind it?

      sorry, i have already found it out: buffer-bind-key notes-tree-insert
      "i" in notes.emf :).

      --
      as
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
        Alex,

        > 1. i do really like Notes utility and use it a lot -- but is
        > it possible to bind some keys to switch between it's
        > sections? i mean, i have a tree like that:
        >
        > +- Software
        > +- Cross-platform
        > +- MicroEmacs
        >
        > and while in right (notes) pane i want to use let's say, C-up
        > / C-down to go through the whole tree without a need to
        > switch back to the left
        > (tree) pane. is it possible to make such a binding? sorry if
        > i described it a bit chaotic :).

        Do you mean that if showing MicroEmacs, C-up would move to
        Cross-platform, and change the note being shown on the right hand side?

        I personally use C-up (move 5 lines) too much to ever contemplate
        rebinding it in a text buffer. Further you really need tree navigation
        keys, i.e. the ability to:

        Go to parent
        Go to first child
        Go to prev sibling
        Go to next sibling

        And the bindings must not effect general buffer navigation and editing -
        anyone got any ideas on what bindings should be used?

        > 2. F10 is a shortcut to open / close the filemanager. is it
        > possible to bind, e.g., F9 the same way to open and close
        > Notes utility? i use global-bind-key notes "F9" to open, but
        > how should i bind it in order to close when open? i know
        > there is buffer-bind-key but can't find out how to properly
        > use it in this case...

        I have already bound f10 to hide the notes frame, this will be in the
        next release, so you can use whatever key-binding you like to open notes
        and f10 to close it (I have made quite a few changes in this area to
        make it work much better).

        > 4. and, btw, how can i exit ME without any additional
        > questions? :) i mean, if i do not want to save anything --
        > something similar to vi's ":q!" :)

        8 exit-emacs

        Steve
      • Alex Sa
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
          On 4/27/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:

          > > 1. i do really like Notes utility and use it a lot -- but is
          > > it possible to bind some keys to switch between it's
          > > sections? i mean, i have a tree like that:
          > >
          > > +- Software
          > > +- Cross-platform
          > > +- MicroEmacs
          > >
          > > and while in right (notes) pane i want to use let's say, C-up
          > > / C-down to go through the whole tree without a need to
          > > switch back to the left
          > > (tree) pane. is it possible to make such a binding? sorry if
          > > i described it a bit chaotic :).
          > Do you mean that if showing MicroEmacs, C-up would move to
          > Cross-platform, and change the note being shown on the right hand side?

          yes, exactly. is it possible -- to change nodes without switching to
          left (tree) panel?

          > > 2. F10 is a shortcut to open / close the filemanager. is it
          > > possible to bind, e.g., F9 the same way to open and close
          > > Notes utility? i use global-bind-key notes "F9" to open, but
          > > how should i bind it in order to close when open? i know
          > > there is buffer-bind-key but can't find out how to properly
          > > use it in this case...
          > I have already bound f10 to hide the notes frame, this will be in the
          > next release, so you can use whatever key-binding you like to open notes
          > and f10 to close it (I have made quite a few changes in this area to
          > make it work much better).

          for now F10 (pressed while in Notes) brings up a file-manager.
          however, i surely can bind some key to notes-close, but i'd like to
          implement the scheme from file-browser: one key opens and closes
          utility. it seems to me very handy... is it possible? how it is done
          in the file-browser?

          > > 4. and, btw, how can i exit ME without any additional
          > > questions? :) i mean, if i do not want to save anything --
          > > something similar to vi's ":q!" :)
          > 8 exit-emacs

          how can i bind it to some key? global-bind-key "8 exit-emacs" "f2"
          doesn't seem to work :).

          --
          as
        • Bruno Sabin
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
            > how can i bind it to some key? global-bind-key "8 exit-emacs" "f2"
            > doesn't seem to work :).
            try:

            8 global-bind-key exit-emacs f2

            --
            bruno

            Alex Sa said the following on 27/04/06 19:18:
            > On 4/27/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:
            >
            > > > 1. i do really like Notes utility and use it a lot -- but is
            > > > it possible to bind some keys to switch between it's
            > > > sections? i mean, i have a tree like that:
            > > >
            > > > +- Software
            > > > +- Cross-platform
            > > > +- MicroEmacs
            > > >
            > > > and while in right (notes) pane i want to use let's say, C-up
            > > > / C-down to go through the whole tree without a need to
            > > > switch back to the left
            > > > (tree) pane. is it possible to make such a binding? sorry if
            > > > i described it a bit chaotic :).
            > > Do you mean that if showing MicroEmacs, C-up would move to
            > > Cross-platform, and change the note being shown on the right hand side?
            >
            > yes, exactly. is it possible -- to change nodes without switching to
            > left (tree) panel?
            >
            > > > 2. F10 is a shortcut to open / close the filemanager. is it
            > > > possible to bind, e.g., F9 the same way to open and close
            > > > Notes utility? i use global-bind-key notes "F9" to open, but
            > > > how should i bind it in order to close when open? i know
            > > > there is buffer-bind-key but can't find out how to properly
            > > > use it in this case...
            > > I have already bound f10 to hide the notes frame, this will be in the
            > > next release, so you can use whatever key-binding you like to open notes
            > > and f10 to close it (I have made quite a few changes in this area to
            > > make it work much better).
            >
            > for now F10 (pressed while in Notes) brings up a file-manager.
            > however, i surely can bind some key to notes-close, but i'd like to
            > implement the scheme from file-browser: one key opens and closes
            > utility. it seems to me very handy... is it possible? how it is done
            > in the file-browser?
            >
            > > > 4. and, btw, how can i exit ME without any additional
            > > > questions? :) i mean, if i do not want to save anything --
            > > > something similar to vi's ":q!" :)
            > > 8 exit-emacs
            >
            > how can i bind it to some key? global-bind-key "8 exit-emacs" "f2"
            > doesn't seem to work :).
            >

            > --
            > as

            > Computer security
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Computer+security&w2=Computer+training&c=2&s=46&.sig=BHmcxBg5sKfN9-gcWnJWDg>
            > Computer training
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Computer+security&w2=Computer+training&c=2&s=46&.sig=v0JjJWA4s7mLnWQWdFxuTQ>

          • Alex Sa
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
              On 4/27/06, Bruno Sabin <bsabin@...> wrote:
              > > how can i bind it to some key? global-bind-key "8 exit-emacs" "f2"
              > > doesn't seem to work :).
              > try:
              > 8 global-bind-key exit-emacs f2

              thanks, Bruno, it really works :).

              --
              as
            • Alex Sa
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
                On 4/27/06, Alex Sa <nesmrtelnost@...> wrote:
                > > > how can i bind it to some key? global-bind-key "8 exit-emacs" "f2"
                > > > doesn't seem to work :).
                > > try:
                > > 8 global-bind-key exit-emacs f2
                > thanks, Bruno, it really works :).

                btw, ME cannot use F13, F14, etc (those functional keys that follows
                F12), am i right?

              • andrew.blank
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
                  > btw, ME cannot use F13, F14, etc (those functional keys that follows
                  > F12), am i right?

                  While you are talking about key-bindings now - do you know, is it
                  possible to change F1 shortcut to any other (I'd prefer F9, since it
                  is the most usual shortcut to bring up menus)?

                  Also, is it possible to change file-browser's hotkey F10 to any other
                  (keeping the possibility to open and close the file-browser with the
                  one hotkey)?

                  Andrew.
                • Alex Sa
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2 6:21 AM
                    On 4/27/06, Alex Sa <nesmrtelnost@...> wrote:

                    > > Do you mean that if showing MicroEmacs, C-up would move to
                    > > Cross-platform, and change the note being shown on the right hand side?
                    > yes, exactly. is it possible -- to change nodes without switching to
                    > left (tree) panel?

                    may it's possible to macro such movements for now? i have quite big
                    amount of nodes at the left side and moving among them is a real pain:
                    switch window, use arrows, press enter to select (which, btw, also
                    closes all child nodes), switch window again (or press tab)... :)

                    may be some macros guru could advise me something here? :)

                    > > > 2. F10 is a shortcut to open / close the filemanager. is it
                    > > > possible to bind, e.g., F9 the same way to open and close
                    > > > Notes utility? i use global-bind-key notes "F9" to open, but
                    > > > how should i bind it in order to close when open? i know
                    > > > there is buffer-bind-key but can't find out how to properly
                    > > > use it in this case...
                    > > I have already bound f10 to hide the notes frame, this will be in the
                    > > next release, so you can use whatever key-binding you like to open notes
                    > > and f10 to close it (I have made quite a few changes in this area to
                    > > make it work much better).

                    something similar here -- is it possible to macro or translate or do
                    something else :) in order to open / close Notes with *one* key --
                    just like file-browser acts?

                    and one more question -- when i press "(" and then ")" aka closing
                    bracket, the cursor is placed for a certain moment at the "(" aka
                    opening bracket and then -- just after the ")".
                    is it possible to disable such behaviour? do not want the cursor to
                    jump anywhere :).

                    thanks.

                    --
                    as
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2 7:37 AM
                      Alex

                      > > > Do you mean that if showing MicroEmacs, C-up would move to
                      > > > Cross-platform, and change the note being shown on the
                      > right hand side?
                      > > yes, exactly. is it possible -- to change nodes without
                      > switching to
                      > > left (tree) panel?
                      >
                      > may it's possible to macro such movements for now? i have
                      > quite big amount of nodes at the left side and moving among
                      > them is a real pain:
                      > switch window, use arrows, press enter to select (which, btw,
                      > also closes all child nodes), switch window again (or press tab)... :)

                      Use space instead of enter.

                      > may be some macros guru could advise me something here? :)

                      I have created macros to do this and bound them to C-page-up & down -
                      this will be in the next release.

                      > how should
                      > it in this
                      > > > I have already bound f10 to hide the notes frame, this will be in
                      > > > the next release, so you can use whatever key-binding you like to
                      > > > open notes and f10 to close it (I have made quite a few
                      > changes in
                      > > > this area to make it work much better).
                      >
                      > something similar here -- is it possible to macro or
                      > translate or do something else :) in order to open / close
                      > Notes with *one* key -- just like file-browser acts?

                      I have changed the main 'notes' command to hide the notes if currently
                      visible, so if you bind the notes command to f9 pressing f9 will open
                      notes, press it again will close notes. Available in the next release.

                      > and one more question -- when i press "(" and then ")" aka
                      > closing bracket, the cursor is placed for a certain moment at
                      > the "(" aka opening bracket and then -- just after the ")".
                      > is it possible to disable such behaviour? do not want the
                      > cursor to jump anywhere :).

                      See user-setup -> Platform -> Fence Display setting

                      Steve
                    • Alex Sa
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 2 7:59 AM
                        Stephen, that's really brilliant, thank you a lot! :)

                        On 5/2/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:

                        <skipped>

                        --
                        as
                      • Alex Sa
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 15 5:17 AM
                          On 5/2/06, Phillips, Steven <sphillips@...> wrote:

                          > I have created macros to do this and bound them to C-page-up & down -
                          > this will be in the next release.

                          while talking about the next release: for now it's impossible to use
                          Notes in splitted window (e.g., Notes at the top, open file at the
                          bottom). don't you plan to add such feature to ME? (probably, it's
                          somehow connected with the absence of Notes in buffer's list?)

                          --
                          as
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 25 1:29 PM
                            Getting the two windows (the tree and the note window) tied together and not
                            trashed by other commands (or the user) is extremely difficult (see the
                            file-browser) which is why I have elected to use a different frame.

                            What may be possible is to use an external frame (i.e. another window), if
                            this would be of use I could look into it, that said now that notes open and
                            close with f9 I think most of the major usability issues are resolved.

                            Steve