[jasspa] Suse-Linux and melinux

  • Detlef Groth
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2000
      Hello,

      for work I need a running ME on SUSE 6.1 Kernel 2.2.7.
      I tried the melinux20, and it seems to work properly but I can't work
      because the screen is worse handled. The colors of the OSD are not
      refreshed and all is very coloured. So I can't handle the setup. May be a
      correct erf-file could help. I also tried to compile a new version but
      the following errors were observed:

      bash-2.02# make -f linux200.gmk
      rm -f me
      gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -o me abbrev.o basic.o bind.o buffer.o crypt.o dirlist.o di
      eio.o hilight.o history.o input.o isearch.o key.o line.o macro.o main.o narrow.o
      egex.o region.o registry.o search.o spawn.o spell.o tag.o termio.o time.o undo.o
      m.o -lX11 -ltermcap
      /usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -ltermcap: No such file or directory
      collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
      make: *** [me] Error 1

      My environment is the following:

      KFind Ergebnisdatei

      file:/usr/doc/susehilf/pak/paket_inhalt_termcap.html
      file:/usr/doc/susehilf/pak/paket_termcap.html
      file:/usr/man/man5/termcap.5.gz
      file:/usr/man/man3/curs_termcap.3x.gz
      file:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/sun.termcap
      file:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xterm.termcap
      file:/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib/libtermcap.a
      file:/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib/libtermcap.sa
      file:/usr/include/termcap.h
      file:/usr/include/termcap
      file:/usr/include/termcap/termcap.h
      file:/usr/lib/perl5/5.00502/termcap.pl
      file:/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i586-linux/termcap.ph
      file:/usr/lib/libtermcap.so.2
      file:/usr/lib/libtermcap.so.2.0.8
      file:/usr/lib/termcap
      file:/usr/lib/termcap/libtermcap.a
      file:/usr/lib/termcap/libtermcap.so
      file:/usr/share/emacs/20.3/etc/termcap.src

      How I have to change linux200.gmk to compile the stuff ?
      Any suggestions ?

      Thank you very much !
    • Jon
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 26, 2000
        Detlef Groth wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > for work I need a running ME on SUSE 6.1 Kernel 2.2.7.
        > I tried the melinux20, and it seems to work properly but I can't work
        > because the screen is worse handled. The colors of the OSD are not
        > refreshed and all is very coloured. So I can't handle the setup. May be a
        > correct erf-file could help. I also tried to compile a new version but
        > the following errors were observed:

        Note that all of the work that I do on Linux is on Slackware 4.0,
        my preferred distribution. In the very first instance before trying
        to guess if anything is wrong I would suggest getting the build
        working. If this exhibits the same behaviour then try the following:-

        Bad colours would tend to indicate that "me" cannot get all of
        the colours it wants. However, since it only requires 20 or
        so I would guess that you are running a 256 colour
        system only ?? At the moment we do not do any palette switching on X.
        instead we find the nearest colour. I suggest shuting down any
        hungry colour applications such as Netscape etc. and see what it
        does then. If the screen comes up correctly then we will have
        to address the palette issue further. Alternatively try
        increasing the colour depth of the X server.

        As for your build errors. I would expect you to have a

        /usr/lib/libtermcap.a
        OR /usr/lib/libtermcap.so

        or both. From below, try adding a "-L/usr/lib/termcap" to
        the LDFLAGS, this should then find the static termcap library
        and link it in. I cannot tell you if this is a good termcap
        library to use because I'm not familer with the SUSE
        distribution.

        If this works then we may need to consider shipping a
        "linuxsuse.gmk"

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2000
          FYI

          I just built ME under SuSE 6.4... had to make one change:
          linux200.gmk (the makefile it uses) had to change the '-ltermcap' to
          '-lncurses'.

          Was getting library not found errors, there is nothing named "libtermcap".

          The manpages of the termcap routines say they are part of terminfo and
          emulate termcap. (Note that there is nothing resembling libterm* in
          /usr/lib; I expected to find something like libterminfo.)

          -Th

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2000
            Funny, Detlef built this and found libtermcap - it
            was not in the normal location though.

            Also note my notes on KDE.

            Thomas Hundt wrote:

            > FYI
            >
            > I just built ME under SuSE 6.4... had to make one change:
            > linux200.gmk (the makefile it uses) had to change the '-ltermcap' to
            > '-lncurses'.
            >
            > Was getting library not found errors, there is nothing named "libtermcap".
            >
            > The manpages of the termcap routines say they are part of terminfo and
            > emulate termcap. (Note that there is nothing resembling libterm* in
            > /usr/lib; I expected to find something like libterminfo.)
            >
            > -Th
            >
            > >As for your build errors. I would expect you to have a
            > >
            > > /usr/lib/libtermcap.a
            > >OR /usr/lib/libtermcap.so
            > >
            > >or both. From below, try adding a "-L/usr/lib/termcap" to
            > >the LDFLAGS, this should then find the static termcap library
            > >and link it in. I cannot tell you if this is a good termcap
            > >library to use because I'm not familer with the SUSE
            > >distribution.

            > IT Professionals: Match your unique skills with the best IT projects at

            Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green
            Principal Design Engineer

            SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
            The Communication Centre
            South Street
            Staines Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
            MIDDLESEX Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
            TW18 4QE Email (work): jon@...
            England Email (home): jon@...
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2000
              Yep -- I found out why termcap was missing -- libtermcap is its own package, not installed by default for a "standard" system -- in "series a" (Linux Base System) of SuSE. It's one of a handful of (obsolete) items not installed normally.

              And even then, as you and Detlef noted, they put it in /usr/lib/termcap/libtermcap.so, so you have to change the linux200.gmk file (add -L/usr/lib/termcap to LDFLAGS). And they call this "progress". :-)

              The X libs don't install by default, either (which I think is weird) -- the package for that is called xdevel (under series x).

              -Th

              [Jon Green 09:56 AM 6/12/00 +0000]

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 21, 2000
                It seems the change-font command crashes ME when running under termcap mode (i.e., 'me -n'). I've seen this behavior under solaris and linux.

                (It also seems to leave a zombie process that sucks up all available CPU time :-)

                Workaround: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "So, don't do that!" :-) I've protected the change-font commands in my startup scripts by first looking at $mouse to (try to) determine whether I'm running under X or not. (I already look at $platform to find out the underlying os, to determine MSWin/DOS.)

                Footnote: I love ME. (That sounds pretty narcissistic, doesn't it :-)