python hilight 2

  • Jiri Vit
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
      Hi list,

      I am new here and I have found an old message without answer:

      I solved the python string highlight problem with:

      1.
      Edit hkpython.emf and change hi-light look-back. For example:

      0 hilight .hilight.python 2 50 $global-scheme

      2.
      Then add a little comment after string definition in python source file:

      source.py:
      --------------file -------------------
      """
      very
      long
      python
      string
      """
      #""" - add this comment
      ------------- EOF ---------------------

      I know that's not the cleanest way, but it works for me well ;-)

      Jiri

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
        Jiri,

        Thank you for your help on this topic. For the next version of
        MicroEmacs I have added a new hilight feature that could mean that the
        need for the #""" comment is no longer required. However, not being a
        python developer I have no real examples of this to check the changes
        will fix the problem.

        So can you, or anyone else, please send me some python files that
        demonstrate this problem? Any files send directly to me will be kept
        private,

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
          I found the original email (missed it first time around), the example suggests
          the python format is:

          """<...

          >"""

          I have utilized the '<' and '>' attached to the """ so please let me know if
          this is unwise (with examples!). Given this I propose the following:

          0 hilight .hilight.python 2 50 $global-scheme
          hilight .hilight.python 2 "#" .scheme.comment
          hilight .hilight.python 4 "\"\"\"<" ">\"\"\"" "\\" .scheme.string
          hilight .hilight.python 0 ">\"\"\"" .scheme.string
          hilight .hilight.python 0x804 "\"" "\"" "\\" .scheme.string
          hilight .hilight.python 0 "\\[" .scheme.string
          hilight .hilight.python 0 "\\]" .scheme.string
          hilight .hilight.python 0x804 "'" "['\n]" "\\" .scheme.quote
          ; Variables

          This should work with ME0505 although I have only tested with the latest
          version.

          Steve

          > Subject: [jasspa] python hilight 2
          > From: Jiri Vit <jirivit@...>
          > Date: Tuesday, April 4, 2006, 12:28:46 PM
          > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
          > Hi list,

          > I am new here and I have found an old message without answer:

          > I solved the python string highlight problem with:

          > 1.
          > Edit hkpython.emf and change hi-light look-back. For example:

          > 0 hilight .hilight.python 2 50 $global-scheme

          > 2.
          > Then add a little comment after string definition in python source file:

          > source.py:
          > --------------file -------------------
          > """
          > very
          > long
          > python
          > string
          > """
          > #""" - add this comment
          > ------------- EOF ---------------------

          > I know that's not the cleanest way, but it works for me well ;-)

          > Jiri

          >> From: "Bosko Markovic" <bosko.m@...>Date: Sat Oct 8, 2005 11:32 am
          >> Subject: python hilight 2 bosko.m@...Send Email

          >> There is another issue with highlighting. Single quotes or triple quotes
          >> that
          >> are first from the top of screen are considered as starting quotes, and
          >> code
          >> below them is highlighted as string. This is not case with C/C++ files,
          >> only
          >> with Python.

          >> Any suggestions?

        • Jiri Vit
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2006
            Unfortunately long python string begins and ends only with '"""'. All
            strings between the triple-quotes are
            part of string data.

            For details look at this:
            http://docs.python.org/ref/strings.html

            From the python tutorial:
            ---------------------------
            Strings can be surrounded in a pair of matching triple-quotes: """ or '''.
            End of lines do not need to be escaped when using triple-quotes, but they
            will be included in the string.

            Examples:

            print """
            Usage: thingy [OPTIONS]
            -h Display this usage message
            -H hostname Hostname to connect to
            """

            produces the following output:

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2006
              Hmmm... That makes it a lot more tricky, fundamentally this breaks the
              hilighting as you cannot determine whether a """ is the start or end of the
              string without starting at the very top of the file and working down to it.

              Will need to find some way of constraining it...

              Steve

              > Subject: [jasspa] python hilight 2
              > From: Jiri Vit <jirivit@...>
              > Date: Wednesday, April 5, 2006, 8:57:07 AM
              > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
              > Unfortunately long python string begins and ends only with '"""'. All
              > strings between the triple-quotes are
              > part of string data.

              > For details look at this:
              > http://docs.python.org/ref/strings.html

              > From the python tutorial:
              > ---------------------------
              > Strings can be surrounded in a pair of matching triple-quotes: """ or '''.
              > End of lines do not need to be escaped when using triple-quotes, but they
              > will be included in the string.

              > Examples:

              > print """
              > Usage: thingy [OPTIONS]
              > -h Display this usage message
              > -H hostname Hostname to connect to
              > """

              > produces the following output:

              > Usage: thingy [OPTIONS]
              > -h Display this usage message
              > -H hostname Hostname to connect to

              > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:52:54 +0200, Steven Phillips <bill@...>
              > wrote:

              >> I found the original email (missed it first time around), the example
              >> suggests
              >> the python format is:
              >>
              >> """<...
              >>
              >>> """
              >>
              >> I have utilized the '<' and '>' attached to the """ so please let me
              >> know if
              >> this is unwise (with examples!). Given this I propose the following:
              >>
              >> 0 hilight .hilight.python 2 50 $global-scheme
              >> hilight .hilight.python 2 "#" .scheme.comment
              >> hilight .hilight.python 4 "\"\"\"<" ">\"\"\"" "\\" .scheme.string
              >> hilight .hilight.python 0 ">\"\"\"" .scheme.string
              >> hilight .hilight.python 0x804 "\"" "\"" "\\" .scheme.string
              >> hilight .hilight.python 0 "\\[" .scheme.string
              >> hilight .hilight.python 0 "\\]" .scheme.string
              >> hilight .hilight.python 0x804 "'" "['\n]" "\\" .scheme.quote
              >> ; Variables
              >>
              >> This should work with ME0505 although I have only tested with the latest
              >> version.
              >>
              >> Steve
              >>
              >>> Subject: [jasspa] python hilight 2
              >>> From: Jiri Vit <jirivit@...>
              >>> Date: Tuesday, April 4, 2006, 12:28:46 PM
              >>> To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
              >>> Hi list,
              >>
              >>> I am new here and I have found an old message without answer:
              >>
              >>> I solved the python string highlight problem with:
              >>
              >>> 1.
              >>> Edit hkpython.emf and change hi-light look-back. For example:
              >>
              >>> 0 hilight .hilight.python 2 50 $global-scheme
              >>
              >>> 2.
              >>> Then add a little comment after string definition in python source file:
              >>
              >>> source.py:
              >>> """
              >>> very
              >>> long