function (method) name hilighting -- not working for me

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2006
      I'm having a problem with method name highlighting in Java. It won't
      "hilight" them in the program text, but will in the item list.

      I think my default scheme color is blue on background, but even if I
      edit it in the scheme editor (Schemes, Section: Programming Langs,
      Scheme: Function Names) to, say, red on yellow, it still doesn't display
      that way in the program text.

      But: if I do Tools>Java>List Items (F6), it opens an item list window on
      the left, and displays the names there -- in the hilighted format I set
      in the scheme editor!

      So, I have to conclude that
      a) it does "know" which pieces of text are the function names (i.e., the
      parsing is working correctly -- it isn't missing a tags file or anything
      like that)
      b) similarly, it knows what the highlighting should look like
      c) it just isn't applying a and b to the program text window.

      Any suggestions? (Is it working for you?)

      I'm not sure it's ever worked for me. Just to see if I was doing
      something weird, I renamed my company directory to something else, and
      fired up the editor, and it still behaves the same.

      Thanks,

      -Tom Hundt
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2006
        Tom,

        The List Items and the hilighting are 2 separate things. The List Items
        is a 'one shot' operation which uses the full syntax of ME's regex
        engine, it can afford to be a bit slower in favour of getting better
        results. The hilighter on the other hand has only a sub-set of regex at
        its disposal and must be quick, it must also operate on a single line.

        So differences between the 2 are not that uncommon and sometimes the
        hilighting cannot be fixed. However can you please send me an example
        and I will see if I can fix the hilighting for you,

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24, 2006
          Aha, thanks for the explanation. It must be tricky to parse this stuff.
          Maybe the answer is to use the full-strength parsing engine? Would it
          be that slow? (It might be nice if it could be switched on and off,
          especially if this makes it easy for you. People using PC XT's can
          leave it switched off ;-) )

          Here is some simple code. "Simple" and "Memberfunction" and
          "PeriodicTimerTask" and "run" all come up completely bare for me. And
          the "items" list only shows Simple and PeriodicTimerTask, not the member
          functions. (That bothers me less, since I only recently discovered this
          feature.)

          public class Simple
          {
          public Simple()
          {
          }

          private void MemberFunction(int i)
          throws SQLException;
          {
          throw new SQLException("blah");
          }

          private class PeriodicTimerTask
          extends TimerTask
          {
          /**
          * Thread that runs when the timer goes off.
          */
          public void run()
          {
          Date lastRun = new Date();