[jasspa] Latest Beta Info

  • bill@jasspa.freeserve.co.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 1999
      For the benefit of the eGroup members, here is a more detailed list of changes
      for the new Beta2

      1) The use of GNU regex. ME '99 is now using the GNU regex library and is now
      fully compatible with Big Emacs, e.g. you can now use word groups such as
      "\(first\|second\|third\) choice" etc. The only noticed side effect is
      with the empty replacement string, it used to be "\0" its now just "". To
      allow this the default replacement string has been disabled.

      2) The replacement of prefix1, prefix2 prefix3 and prefix4 commands with a
      single prefix command. When bound the global-bind-key command must be
      given an argument specifying which prefix is to be bound, i.e.

      global-bind-key prefix3 "C-h"

      Becomes:

      3 global-bind-key prefix "C-h"

      We've changed the internal key bit meanings to allow more prefixes, the
      old limit was 4, the new limit is documented as 8, although currently 16
      are available. We are not sure whether to use a bit to store AltGr as a
      separate modifier, reducing the maximum number of prefixes to 8 or to
      leave AltGr as "A-C-..." and thereby have 16 prefixes or a free bit to do
      something else (please send us you view on this). In the mean time use
      prefix 9+ at your peril, they may disappear.

      One bad side effect to this change is to recorded keyboard macros which
      use the 'special' or named keys. These will not work with the new version,
      you will have to re-record them. Note that because of their volatile
      nature it is preferable to avoid using the special keys where ever
      possible, e.g. use "C-f" instead of "right" etc.

      3) Mouse support in completion lists. If you use the commands "find-buffer"
      or "find-file" etc and press tab twice to get a completion buffer, in
      previous versions the mouse could not be used to scroll the buffer or
      select a completion. Basic support has now been added.

      4) New keyboard configuration option added to user-setup, this area has
      caused the largest number of problems, usually with foreign keyboards on
      win32 platforms.

      5) New my-fhook-.... fhook macro extension support.

      It is now simple to add your own file type buffer binding without editing
      the release files. For example, if I created a new latex command
      "my-latex-command" which I wanted bound to "C-c n" I would create a
      mylatex.emf macro file in my area (keeping everything I change separate
      from the release). In the file I'd add the following:

      define-macro my-latex-command
      .
      .
      !emacro

      define-macro my-fhook-latex
      buffer-bind-key my-latex-command "C-c n"
      .
      .
      ml-write "[My latex extensions have been executed]"
      !emacro
      set-variable .my-fhook-latex.exec 1

      The variable definition at the end informs the latex file hook
      (fhook-latex found in hklatex.emf) that the command my-fhook-latex exists
      and should be executed (not 0).

      This is based on Thomas Hundt extension, except it avoids the "[No such
      command ...]" error message when the user does not have an extension.

      6) The abbreviation support has been greatly changed, the command
      set-abbrev-file has been renamed to buffer-abbrev-file, a new
      global-abbrev-file command has been create with the obvious effect. Both
      commands now have the ability of force a reload of the abbreviation file
      (give an argument of 0). A new general abbreviation handler has been
      created (expand-abbrev-handle) bound to "esc esc" which handles all
      the following abbreviation types in the following order of priority:

      buffer-abbrev-file
      global-abbrev-file
      iso-accents-expand
      buffer specific abbrev expansion (e.g. macro files)
      spell-complete-word

      The last one is a new command, it take the current word and attempts to
      expand it in the current language, e.g. in British, given "langua" it will
      expand to "language". This feature must be enabled by executing the
      following line:

      set-variable .spell-complete-word.on 1

      If you like this feature add the line to you Setup File. The command can
      be run separately.

      7) Jon fixed the fill-paragraph command so the set-mark position is always
      correctly saved and the cursor position is saved if no argument is given
      to the command. This behaviour has also been supported (where possible) by
      the ifill-paragraph and other formating command.

      8) Much better latex support (is it just me or is everyone getting fed up
      with Word?)

      9) I'm in the process of expanding the mail and vm commands to support a POP3
      dial-up type environment using a free program postie (available from
      www.download.com). The current version has a $debug line which should be
      removed. I hope to have this fully working and stable by the main release.

      Other small fixes have been made, e.g. the Match-It hi-score was broken, which
      I wont bore you with. Hopefully the documentation has also been kept
      up-to-date,

      Steve Phillips
      JASSPA

      any material posted to this list.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20, 1999
        >8) Much better latex support (is it just me or is everyone getting fed up
        > with Word?)

        I don't know what problems you have with it, but if you ask me, Word is great for 2-page memos. For 20-page multi-section documents, it falls flat on its face. Every time I try to create a document that has a cover page, table of contents, text with diagrams and tables, I run into serious operational problems. I've had endless problems with right- and left-page headers and footers, and had it actually crash with certain types of tables. It's really sad :-)

        I haven't used LaTeX in quite a few years, but since apparently it's alive and well, I may have to look into it again... it would be really nice to have an alternative!

        Great job on the me32 changes! I will have to give the e-mail a try, haven't yet because of concerns about differing ways the mail is handled on different systems. All I can say is, "wow!!"

        FYI I always install it in a location like c:\Program Files\me32 -- the jasspa directory in between, for me, just means extra typing for no reason :-) (It's not just you, Adobe puts Photoshop in Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop by default.)

        any material posted to this list.