Subversion support?

  • Christof Boeckler
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2006
      Hi all,

      is there a plan to support subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org/) in
      a way like CVS?

      I never used CVS, but started directly with svn. Thus I am not familiar
      with CVS, but the support I see for CVS in ME looks attractive to me - I
      want it for svn too :-)
      Are there more ME users out there longing for svn support in ME?

      Gruß / Regards
      Christof

      --
      http://home.in.tum.de/~boeckler/ http://www.spiegel.de/zwiebelfisch
      Da sie sich für weise hielten, sind sie zu Narren geworden. Rö 1,22
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 27, 2006
        Christof,

        There is currently no support for Sub-Version but I am very interested in adding support. The next version of ME will have ClearCase support and therefore ME's CVS frame work has already been changed to support multiple source control systems.

        Given that subversion is so similar to CVS I do not envisage this being very difficult, however I will need access to a SV server. It would make adding support a lot easier if someone could give me access to a server with which I could 'play' (would need the ability to add, remove, update, commit etc to ensure I get the commands working correctly).

        So if someone can get me access to a SV test area I will add support asap.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 27, 2006
          Phillips, Steven schrieb:
          > Christof,

          Hi Steven,

          > There is currently no support for Sub-Version but I am very interested
          > in adding support. The next version of ME will have ClearCase support
          > and therefore ME's CVS frame work has already been changed to support
          > multiple source control systems.

          that sounds very good to me :-)

          > Given that subversion is so similar to CVS I do not envisage this
          > being very difficult, however I will need access to a SV server. It
          > would make adding support a lot easier if someone could give me access
          > to a server with which I could 'play' (would need the ability to add,
          > remove, update, commit etc to ensure I get the commands working
          > correctly).

          Depending on which platform you are developping on, it could be easier to
          set up a local repository without network. For example you could install
          svn via cygwin and then run the following commands (which are not
          platform specific):

          cd <free space tree>
          mdir repo
          svnadmin create repo
          cd <where you have stuff to check in>
          svn import . file://<absolute path to repo directory>
          cd <working space> # or delete stuff you checked in
          svn checkout file://<absolute path to repo directory> .
          ls

          From then on you only need to be in that working space an run all the
          svn commands like 'svn info', 'svn log', 'svn diff', 'svn ci' or 'svn
          revert' without any svn-URL (like 'file://...').
          (Maybe access to cygwin commands (svn etc.) could be tricky because they
          are not included in the default path on windows.)

          Also look at http://www.cs.put.poznan.pl/csobaniec/Papers/svn-refcard.pdf

          > So if someone can get me access to a SV test area I will add support
          > asap.
          >
          > Steve

          Gruß / Regards
          Christof