Re: [jasspa] Ubuntu & Debian packages

  • Patrick Das Gupta
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
      Jon Green wrote:
      > Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff

      Yes, Jon. In this respect Debian Policy (Sec. 12.1) is very clear:
      "You must not install a pre-formatted 'cat page'."

      > as they will appear the same in UNIX man?

      This is only true for certain terminal sizes.

      Regards,
      Patrick
    • Patrick Das Gupta
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
        Jon Green wrote:
        > I see after reading the policy that cat pages are not good enough. Not
        > sure why?

        I can only guess. Maybe because troff is a better format for modifications?

        Anyway. Is there a chance to get me.1 and ne.1 in troff?
        Otherwise I would manually convert ne.1. I've already started with it
        for me.1, which is included in the ME debian packages.

        Regards,
        Patrick
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
          Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I've created some ME and NE packages for Debian Sarge (i386,powerpc),
          > Debian Sid (i386) and Ubuntu Breezy (i386). They can be found at [0].
          >
          > They are tested on three of my systems and run flawlessly. I've also
          > gone to great lengths to build quality packages which strictly comply
          > with the Debian Policy.
          >
          > But there's still one issue left which is considered serious by the
          > Debian Policy: Missing manpages (in nroff format) [1].
          > Maybe some JASSPA guru can help we with this one?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Patrick
          >
          > [0] http://patrick.das-gupta.org/debian/
          > [1] http://www.de.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1

          These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.
          Sorry for the delay - I had to add the conversion macros so that they
          would run through tmac/ad (man).

          I've only tested these on Sun Solaris so if there are problems on Linux
          then let me know and will try to resolve.

          Jon.
        • Patrick Das Gupta
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
            Jon Green wrote:
            > These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.

            Thank you for this fast solution!

            > I've only tested these on Sun Solaris so if there are problems on Linux
            > then let me know and will try to resolve.

            I've just had a first look at them and both seem to be ok, at least on
            Debian Sid.

            Thanks again,
            Patrick
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
              Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
              > Jon Green wrote:
              >
              >>These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.
              >

              > Thank you for this fast solution!

              Possibly a little too fast!

              There were a couple of rendering anomolies in xman. I have now corrected
              these and updated the content on www.jasspa.com

              Jon.