Re: [jasspa] Ubuntu & Debian packages

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
      Jon Green wrote:
      > Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
      >
      >>Sabin, Bruno wrote:
      >>

      >>>Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here
      >>>is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the
      >>>trick.
      >>

      >>Hi Brono.
      >>These files are in catman (!= nroff) format. So this doesn't do it. Any
      >>other tricks or hints? ;)
      >>

      > Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff
      > as they will appear the same in UNIX man? They can be added to the man
      > directory in a "cat1" directory rather than a man1 directory.
      >
      > Jon.

      I see after reading the policy that cat pages are not good enough. Not
      sure why?

      Jon.
    • Patrick Das Gupta
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
        Jon Green wrote:
        > Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff

        Yes, Jon. In this respect Debian Policy (Sec. 12.1) is very clear:
        "You must not install a pre-formatted 'cat page'."

        > as they will appear the same in UNIX man?

        This is only true for certain terminal sizes.

        Regards,
        Patrick
      • Patrick Das Gupta
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
          Jon Green wrote:
          > I see after reading the policy that cat pages are not good enough. Not
          > sure why?

          I can only guess. Maybe because troff is a better format for modifications?

          Anyway. Is there a chance to get me.1 and ne.1 in troff?
          Otherwise I would manually convert ne.1. I've already started with it
          for me.1, which is included in the ME debian packages.

          Regards,
          Patrick
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
            Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I've created some ME and NE packages for Debian Sarge (i386,powerpc),
            > Debian Sid (i386) and Ubuntu Breezy (i386). They can be found at [0].
            >
            > They are tested on three of my systems and run flawlessly. I've also
            > gone to great lengths to build quality packages which strictly comply
            > with the Debian Policy.
            >
            > But there's still one issue left which is considered serious by the
            > Debian Policy: Missing manpages (in nroff format) [1].
            > Maybe some JASSPA guru can help we with this one?
            >
            > Regards,
            > Patrick
            >
            > [0] http://patrick.das-gupta.org/debian/
            > [1] http://www.de.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1

            These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.
            Sorry for the delay - I had to add the conversion macros so that they
            would run through tmac/ad (man).

            I've only tested these on Sun Solaris so if there are problems on Linux
            then let me know and will try to resolve.

            Jon.
          • Patrick Das Gupta
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
              Jon Green wrote:
              > These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.

              Thank you for this fast solution!

              > I've only tested these on Sun Solaris so if there are problems on Linux
              > then let me know and will try to resolve.

              I've just had a first look at them and both seem to be ok, at least on
              Debian Sid.

              Thanks again,
              Patrick
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
                > Jon Green wrote:
                >
                >>These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.
                >

                > Thank you for this fast solution!

                Possibly a little too fast!

                There were a couple of rendering anomolies in xman. I have now corrected
                these and updated the content on www.jasspa.com

                Jon.