Re: [jasspa] Ubuntu & Debian packages

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
      Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
      > Sabin, Bruno wrote:
      >
      >>Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here
      >>is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the
      >>trick.
      >

      > Hi Brono.
      > These files are in catman (!= nroff) format. So this doesn't do it. Any
      > other tricks or hints? ;)

      Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff
      as they will appear the same in UNIX man? They can be added to the man
      directory in a "cat1" directory rather than a man1 directory.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
        Jon Green wrote:
        > Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
        >
        >>Sabin, Bruno wrote:
        >>

        >>>Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here
        >>>is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the
        >>>trick.
        >>

        >>Hi Brono.
        >>These files are in catman (!= nroff) format. So this doesn't do it. Any
        >>other tricks or hints? ;)
        >>

        > Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff
        > as they will appear the same in UNIX man? They can be added to the man
        > directory in a "cat1" directory rather than a man1 directory.
        >
        > Jon.

        I see after reading the policy that cat pages are not good enough. Not
        sure why?

        Jon.
      • Patrick Das Gupta
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
          Jon Green wrote:
          > Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff

          Yes, Jon. In this respect Debian Policy (Sec. 12.1) is very clear:
          "You must not install a pre-formatted 'cat page'."

          > as they will appear the same in UNIX man?

          This is only true for certain terminal sizes.

          Regards,
          Patrick
        • Patrick Das Gupta
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
            Jon Green wrote:
            > I see after reading the policy that cat pages are not good enough. Not
            > sure why?

            I can only guess. Maybe because troff is a better format for modifications?

            Anyway. Is there a chance to get me.1 and ne.1 in troff?
            Otherwise I would manually convert ne.1. I've already started with it
            for me.1, which is included in the ME debian packages.

            Regards,
            Patrick
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
              Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I've created some ME and NE packages for Debian Sarge (i386,powerpc),
              > Debian Sid (i386) and Ubuntu Breezy (i386). They can be found at [0].
              >
              > They are tested on three of my systems and run flawlessly. I've also
              > gone to great lengths to build quality packages which strictly comply
              > with the Debian Policy.
              >
              > But there's still one issue left which is considered serious by the
              > Debian Policy: Missing manpages (in nroff format) [1].
              > Maybe some JASSPA guru can help we with this one?
              >
              > Regards,
              > Patrick
              >
              > [0] http://patrick.das-gupta.org/debian/
              > [1] http://www.de.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1

              These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.
              Sorry for the delay - I had to add the conversion macros so that they
              would run through tmac/ad (man).

              I've only tested these on Sun Solaris so if there are problems on Linux
              then let me know and will try to resolve.

              Jon.
            • Patrick Das Gupta
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                Jon Green wrote:
                > These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.

                Thank you for this fast solution!

                > I've only tested these on Sun Solaris so if there are problems on Linux
                > then let me know and will try to resolve.

                I've just had a first look at them and both seem to be ok, at least on
                Debian Sid.

                Thanks again,
                Patrick
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                  Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
                  > Jon Green wrote:
                  >
                  >>These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.
                  >

                  > Thank you for this fast solution!

                  Possibly a little too fast!

                  There were a couple of rendering anomolies in xman. I have now corrected
                  these and updated the content on www.jasspa.com

                  Jon.