Re: [jasspa] Ubuntu & Debian packages

  • Patrick Das Gupta
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
      Sabin, Bruno wrote:
      > Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here
      > is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the
      > trick.

      Hi Brono.
      These files are in catman (!= nroff) format. So this doesn't do it. Any
      other tricks or hints? ;)

      Regards,
      Patrick
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
        Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
        > Sabin, Bruno wrote:
        >
        >>Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here
        >>is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the
        >>trick.
        >

        > Hi Brono.
        > These files are in catman (!= nroff) format. So this doesn't do it. Any
        > other tricks or hints? ;)

        Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff
        as they will appear the same in UNIX man? They can be added to the man
        directory in a "cat1" directory rather than a man1 directory.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
          Jon Green wrote:
          > Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
          >
          >>Sabin, Bruno wrote:
          >>

          >>>Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here
          >>>is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the
          >>>trick.
          >>

          >>Hi Brono.
          >>These files are in catman (!= nroff) format. So this doesn't do it. Any
          >>other tricks or hints? ;)
          >>

          > Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff
          > as they will appear the same in UNIX man? They can be added to the man
          > directory in a "cat1" directory rather than a man1 directory.
          >
          > Jon.

          I see after reading the policy that cat pages are not good enough. Not
          sure why?

          Jon.
        • Patrick Das Gupta
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
            Jon Green wrote:
            > Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff

            Yes, Jon. In this respect Debian Policy (Sec. 12.1) is very clear:
            "You must not install a pre-formatted 'cat page'."

            > as they will appear the same in UNIX man?

            This is only true for certain terminal sizes.

            Regards,
            Patrick
          • Patrick Das Gupta
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
              Jon Green wrote:
              > I see after reading the policy that cat pages are not good enough. Not
              > sure why?

              I can only guess. Maybe because troff is a better format for modifications?

              Anyway. Is there a chance to get me.1 and ne.1 in troff?
              Otherwise I would manually convert ne.1. I've already started with it
              for me.1, which is included in the ME debian packages.

              Regards,
              Patrick
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > I've created some ME and NE packages for Debian Sarge (i386,powerpc),
                > Debian Sid (i386) and Ubuntu Breezy (i386). They can be found at [0].
                >
                > They are tested on three of my systems and run flawlessly. I've also
                > gone to great lengths to build quality packages which strictly comply
                > with the Debian Policy.
                >
                > But there's still one issue left which is considered serious by the
                > Debian Policy: Missing manpages (in nroff format) [1].
                > Maybe some JASSPA guru can help we with this one?
                >
                > Regards,
                > Patrick
                >
                > [0] http://patrick.das-gupta.org/debian/
                > [1] http://www.de.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1

                These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.
                Sorry for the delay - I had to add the conversion macros so that they
                would run through tmac/ad (man).

                I've only tested these on Sun Solaris so if there are problems on Linux
                then let me know and will try to resolve.

                Jon.
              • Patrick Das Gupta
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                  Jon Green wrote:
                  > These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.

                  Thank you for this fast solution!

                  > I've only tested these on Sun Solaris so if there are problems on Linux
                  > then let me know and will try to resolve.

                  I've just had a first look at them and both seem to be ok, at least on
                  Debian Sid.

                  Thanks again,
                  Patrick
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                    Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
                    > Jon Green wrote:
                    >
                    >>These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.
                    >

                    > Thank you for this fast solution!

                    Possibly a little too fast!

                    There were a couple of rendering anomolies in xman. I have now corrected
                    these and updated the content on www.jasspa.com

                    Jon.