RE: [jasspa] Ubuntu & Debian packages

  • Sabin, Bruno
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
      Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the trick.
      Bruno
      Bruno Sabin                           Parametric Technology Corp.

       Men were real men, women were real women, and small, furry
       creatures from Alpha Centauri were REAL small, furry creatures
       from Alpha Centauri.  Spirits were brave, men boldly split
       infinitives that no man had split before.

       Thus was the Empire forged.

              -- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", Douglas Adams

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
        Sabin, Bruno wrote:
        > Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here
        > is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the
        > trick.

        Hi Brono.
        These files are in catman (!= nroff) format. So this doesn't do it. Any
        other tricks or hints? ;)

        Regards,
        Patrick
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
          Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
          > Sabin, Bruno wrote:
          >
          >>Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here
          >>is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the
          >>trick.
          >

          > Hi Brono.
          > These files are in catman (!= nroff) format. So this doesn't do it. Any
          > other tricks or hints? ;)

          Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff
          as they will appear the same in UNIX man? They can be added to the man
          directory in a "cat1" directory rather than a man1 directory.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
            Jon Green wrote:
            > Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
            >
            >>Sabin, Bruno wrote:
            >>

            >>>Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here
            >>>is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the
            >>>trick.
            >>

            >>Hi Brono.
            >>These files are in catman (!= nroff) format. So this doesn't do it. Any
            >>other tricks or hints? ;)
            >>

            > Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff
            > as they will appear the same in UNIX man? They can be added to the man
            > directory in a "cat1" directory rather than a man1 directory.
            >
            > Jon.

            I see after reading the policy that cat pages are not good enough. Not
            sure why?

            Jon.
          • Patrick Das Gupta
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
              Jon Green wrote:
              > Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff

              Yes, Jon. In this respect Debian Policy (Sec. 12.1) is very clear:
              "You must not install a pre-formatted 'cat page'."

              > as they will appear the same in UNIX man?

              This is only true for certain terminal sizes.

              Regards,
              Patrick
            • Patrick Das Gupta
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
                Jon Green wrote:
                > I see after reading the policy that cat pages are not good enough. Not
                > sure why?

                I can only guess. Maybe because troff is a better format for modifications?

                Anyway. Is there a chance to get me.1 and ne.1 in troff?
                Otherwise I would manually convert ne.1. I've already started with it
                for me.1, which is included in the ME debian packages.

                Regards,
                Patrick
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                  Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I've created some ME and NE packages for Debian Sarge (i386,powerpc),
                  > Debian Sid (i386) and Ubuntu Breezy (i386). They can be found at [0].
                  >
                  > They are tested on three of my systems and run flawlessly. I've also
                  > gone to great lengths to build quality packages which strictly comply
                  > with the Debian Policy.
                  >
                  > But there's still one issue left which is considered serious by the
                  > Debian Policy: Missing manpages (in nroff format) [1].
                  > Maybe some JASSPA guru can help we with this one?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Patrick
                  >
                  > [0] http://patrick.das-gupta.org/debian/
                  > [1] http://www.de.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1

                  These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.
                  Sorry for the delay - I had to add the conversion macros so that they
                  would run through tmac/ad (man).

                  I've only tested these on Sun Solaris so if there are problems on Linux
                  then let me know and will try to resolve.

                  Jon.
                • Patrick Das Gupta
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                    Jon Green wrote:
                    > These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.

                    Thank you for this fast solution!

                    > I've only tested these on Sun Solaris so if there are problems on Linux
                    > then let me know and will try to resolve.

                    I've just had a first look at them and both seem to be ok, at least on
                    Debian Sid.

                    Thanks again,
                    Patrick
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                      Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
                      > Jon Green wrote:
                      >
                      >>These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.
                      >

                      > Thank you for this fast solution!

                      Possibly a little too fast!

                      There were a couple of rendering anomolies in xman. I have now corrected
                      these and updated the content on www.jasspa.com

                      Jon.