Ubuntu & Debian packages

  • Patrick Das Gupta
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
      Hi,

      I've created some ME and NE packages for Debian Sarge (i386,powerpc),
      Debian Sid (i386) and Ubuntu Breezy (i386). They can be found at [0].

      They are tested on three of my systems and run flawlessly. I've also
      gone to great lengths to build quality packages which strictly comply
      with the Debian Policy.

      But there's still one issue left which is considered serious by the
      Debian Policy: Missing manpages (in nroff format) [1].
      Maybe some JASSPA guru can help we with this one?

      Regards,
      Patrick

      [0] http://patrick.das-gupta.org/debian/
      [1] http://www.de.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1
    • Sabin, Bruno
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
        Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the trick.
        Bruno
        Bruno Sabin                           Parametric Technology Corp.

         Men were real men, women were real women, and small, furry
         creatures from Alpha Centauri were REAL small, furry creatures
         from Alpha Centauri.  Spirits were brave, men boldly split
         infinitives that no man had split before.

         Thus was the Empire forged.

                -- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", Douglas Adams

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
          Sabin, Bruno wrote:
          > Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here
          > is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the
          > trick.

          Hi Brono.
          These files are in catman (!= nroff) format. So this doesn't do it. Any
          other tricks or hints? ;)

          Regards,
          Patrick
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
            Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
            > Sabin, Bruno wrote:
            >
            >>Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here
            >>is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the
            >>trick.
            >

            > Hi Brono.
            > These files are in catman (!= nroff) format. So this doesn't do it. Any
            > other tricks or hints? ;)

            Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff
            as they will appear the same in UNIX man? They can be added to the man
            directory in a "cat1" directory rather than a man1 directory.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
              Jon Green wrote:
              > Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
              >
              >>Sabin, Bruno wrote:
              >>

              >>>Patrick, simply try the JASSPA download page under "Documentation". Here
              >>>is a direct link: http://www.jasspa.com/downdoc.html. This should do the
              >>>trick.
              >>

              >>Hi Brono.
              >>These files are in catman (!= nroff) format. So this doesn't do it. Any
              >>other tricks or hints? ;)
              >>

              > Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff
              > as they will appear the same in UNIX man? They can be added to the man
              > directory in a "cat1" directory rather than a man1 directory.
              >
              > Jon.

              I see after reading the policy that cat pages are not good enough. Not
              sure why?

              Jon.
            • Patrick Das Gupta
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
                Jon Green wrote:
                > Is there actually a requirement that the manual pages are actually nroff

                Yes, Jon. In this respect Debian Policy (Sec. 12.1) is very clear:
                "You must not install a pre-formatted 'cat page'."

                > as they will appear the same in UNIX man?

                This is only true for certain terminal sizes.

                Regards,
                Patrick
              • Patrick Das Gupta
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
                  Jon Green wrote:
                  > I see after reading the policy that cat pages are not good enough. Not
                  > sure why?

                  I can only guess. Maybe because troff is a better format for modifications?

                  Anyway. Is there a chance to get me.1 and ne.1 in troff?
                  Otherwise I would manually convert ne.1. I've already started with it
                  for me.1, which is included in the ME debian packages.

                  Regards,
                  Patrick
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                    Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I've created some ME and NE packages for Debian Sarge (i386,powerpc),
                    > Debian Sid (i386) and Ubuntu Breezy (i386). They can be found at [0].
                    >
                    > They are tested on three of my systems and run flawlessly. I've also
                    > gone to great lengths to build quality packages which strictly comply
                    > with the Debian Policy.
                    >
                    > But there's still one issue left which is considered serious by the
                    > Debian Policy: Missing manpages (in nroff format) [1].
                    > Maybe some JASSPA guru can help we with this one?
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Patrick
                    >
                    > [0] http://patrick.das-gupta.org/debian/
                    > [1] http://www.de.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.1

                    These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.
                    Sorry for the delay - I had to add the conversion macros so that they
                    would run through tmac/ad (man).

                    I've only tested these on Sun Solaris so if there are problems on Linux
                    then let me know and will try to resolve.

                    Jon.
                  • Patrick Das Gupta
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                      Jon Green wrote:
                      > These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.

                      Thank you for this fast solution!

                      > I've only tested these on Sun Solaris so if there are problems on Linux
                      > then let me know and will try to resolve.

                      I've just had a first look at them and both seem to be ok, at least on
                      Debian Sid.

                      Thanks again,
                      Patrick
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
                        Patrick Das Gupta wrote:
                        > Jon Green wrote:
                        >
                        >>These Nroff files are now on www.jasspa.com on the documentation page.
                        >

                        > Thank you for this fast solution!

                        Possibly a little too fast!

                        There were a couple of rendering anomolies in xman. I have now corrected
                        these and updated the content on www.jasspa.com

                        Jon.