Re: Random Justification Issues ?

  • Gadrin
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
      I'm beginning to think it's the "content" of the paragraph as it seems
      to only happen to certain paras. I was able to recreate it 3 times
      in a row this AM, and it does it to the same paras each time. Perhaps
      it thinks I've indented something ?!?

      What's weird is that I often write in another editor and I call a
      script that grabs text off the clipboard, writes it to a file then
      starts ME, since this editor can't do keyboard macros and such.
      I've literally done this hundreds of times so I know I'm not setting
      or changing any options in ME.

      In the meantime I'll simply use C-c C-l in my keyboard macros to
      justify the paras.

      thanks, Gadrin

      --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, "Phillips, Steven" <sphillips@p...>

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
        Gadrin wrote:
        > I've been reformatting some writing I did using ME today.
        >
        > This afternoon's session went fine but tonight I noticed when I
        > went to reformat/Justify the text I'd rewritten, ME started to center
        > justify everything.
        >
        > I simply exited and reloaded, but it happened again. I stopped for
        > a bit then restarted a few minutes ago and it worked fine for the
        > first 3 or 4 paras, then suddenly decided to center justify the next
        > two or three paras in a row then stopped and left justified the rest.
        >
        > Is this a known bug ? I know I didn't do anything to the buffer modes,
        > because I was using a keyboard macro of Esc-q followed by Esc-n
        > something I do quite often. Using Justify Left on the Text Tools menu
        > solved the problem for the 2 or 3 centered paras.
        >
        > Just kinda weird.

        Hi Gadrin,

        Yes this old problem. The root cause is the 'smart' (or not so as in
        this case) fill paragraph. It attempts to determine if the text is
        left/center/right aligned. The 'center' algorithm looks at the space on
        the left and right of the text, if they are the same (+/-1) then it
        assumes center. Most of the time this is OK EXECPT when it goes wrong
        and is really annoying. There I times when the indent and lenght of the
        first line cause this problem (i.e. it is content related).

        When BOTH is enabled it is typically all right once you get the left and
        right sorted out correctly. I know this is really annoying, but I think
        that you might have a case that it has got worse, certainly I have
        noticed this more recently. As I find it so annoying I will have another
        look over the algorithm that is used and see if we can make it a little
        less sensitive to automatically dropping into the center mode.

        I do not think that using ifill-paragraph makes much difference as the
        underlying justification is performed by fill-paragraph. Maybe we should
        add a control to completely disable center justification unless enabled
        - I do not use it that often except explicitly.

      • Gadrin
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
          Buffer variables:

          :fill-col ..................... "95"
          :fill-mode .................... "L"
          :ofill-col .................... "95"
          :ofill-mode ................... "L"

          Okay, it's not too big a deal, it just was weird that after several
          months of "normal behavior" it suddenly started doing this.

          What I can't figure out is that my writing is strictly left-justified
          and I certainly don't use extra-spacing in my paras, except possibly
          for the odd tab. I do run my right margin a bit ragged and use fill-
          para to straighten things out afterwards.

          I found using C-c C-l in my macros works just as good, except it
          prompts me for "Indent to <<<<<<<< ?" every so often as well.

          Minor deal at this point. As it's easy to answer no and have the
          macro continue on.

          I'm more surprised by the fact that I haven't come across this until
          recently.

          Thanks for you input, all.