Re: [jasspa] me -n ?

  • Meino Christian Cramer
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2005
      From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
      Subject: Re: [jasspa] me -n ?
      Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:44:22 -0800

      I gave it up...

      Meino

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 14, 2005
        The use of 'C-h k' for this type of problem has limited use. The problem
        is that these keys events send multiple key sequences and unless you
        have already setup the translation correctly ME will generate several
        input key events for that single key press.

        For example, if the Home key generates "^[ [ 1 ~", without the correct
        translation this will be broken down to:

        "esc [" - '^[' is an escape char, this is bound to backward-paragraph
        "1" - Insert a '1'
        "~" - Insert a '~'

        Doing a describe-key before pressing this key would report 'esc-[
        backward-paragraph' but you would not see this as ME then immediately
        receives a '1' and '~' key event. ME tends to go ballistic if you press
        these extended keys without the correct translation because they all
        tend to start with '^['.

        So how do you fix this? As already discussed, it is through the use of
        translate-key, previous posting
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jasspa/message/928 covers most of this.

        I would however like to add 2 suggestions on how to get the required key
        translation sequence:

        1) Run 'sh' (the most basic shell), press the problematic key and then
        return (enter). As sh does not usually handle these keys either it will
        usually print something like:

        ~[[1~: Not found

        2) A simpler way of using ME's $recent-keys is to run:

        me -n @a

        Because 'a.emf' does not exist ME effectively starts up with no
        configuration, i.e. no translate-key settings that can cause confusion.
        This is easier that trying to find and comment out all the existing
        'translate-keys'.

        Of