Re: [jasspa] me -n ?

  • Meino Christian Cramer
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 12, 2005
      From: Jon Green <jon@...>
      Subject: Re: [jasspa] me -n ?
      Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:16:56 +0000

      Hi,

      I did a describe-key in a "me -n" started ME and pressed
      "HOME".

      The minibuffer does show nothing special ( a "normally" started ME
      shows '"home" beginning-of-buffer instead ) and I got a "1~" into
      the (main) buffer as mentioned in my first mail.

      Kind regards,
      Meino

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 12, 2005
        See if any of these help or give you ideas. (Code from my company
        file.) I use various different xterms, ssh clients (e.g., putty), etc.
        and the kinds of problems you are having are not unusual.

        ; fix Backspace using Putty
        -1 translate-key "C-h" ; remove translation to "backspace"
        translate-key "\x7F" "backspace" ; Backspace key

        ; fix del, home keys termcap/Putty/Solaris ME20040403
        translate-key "C-[ [ 3 ~" "delete" ; ^[[3~ ('cat' output)
        translate-key "C-[ [ 1 ~" "home" ; ^[[1~

        ; add support for termcap/Putty/Solaris
        translate-key "C-[ O A" "C-up" ; ctrl up ^[OA
        translate-key "C-[ O B" "C-down" ; ctrl down ^[OB
        translate-key "C-[ O D" "C-left" ; ctrl left ^[OD
        translate-key "C-[ O C" "C-right" ; ctrl right ^[OC

        Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
        > From: Jon Green <jon@...>
        > Subject: Re: [jasspa] me -n ?
        > Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:16:56 +0000
        >
        > Hi,
        >
        > I did a describe-key in a "me -n" started ME and pressed
        > "HOME".
        >
        > The minibuffer does show nothing special ( a "normally" started ME
        > shows '"home" beginning-of-buffer instead ) and I got a "1~" into
        > the (main) buffer as mentioned in my first mail.
        >
        > Kind regards,
        > Meino
        >
        >> Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
        >>> From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
        >>> Subject: Re: [jasspa] me -n ?
        >>> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:11:25 -0800
        >>>
        >>> Just to clearify...
        >>>
        >>> Your suggested "C-h k" command does nothing at least with my ME
        >>> started as "me -n".
        >>>
        >> What is C-h in a termcap terminal?
        >> It happens to be "BACKSPACE".
        >>
        >> So there is no such key visible to ME in this environment so the binding
        >> will never work. termcap honours the keys that it can, there are some
        >> that you just cannot do and have to use the "M-x name" combination.
        >>
        >> Jon.

      • Meino Christian Cramer
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 12, 2005
          From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
          Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:29:03 -0800

          Yes, one of those lines have fixed my problems with the HOME key (and
          others). There is only one thing remaining: How cxan I identify the
          lines from below, which I really need? I dont want to add things,
          which may lead to confusion in the near future...

          Is the assumption correct, that any line, which translate-key a key, which
          works right now and is listed below as the second argument to
          "translate-key" is needed? Or are there any "side effects" or
          assembled key sequences?

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2005
            Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
            > Yes, one of those lines have fixed my problems with the HOME key (and
            > others).

            Great! Glad to have helped.

            > There is only one thing remaining: How can I identify the
            > lines from below, which I really need?

            Add them one at a time?

            > I don't want to add things,
            > which may lead to confusion in the near future...

            I suggest you not add anything that you do not understand.

            Have you read everything in the archive related to this?

            >> See if any of these help or give you ideas. (Code from my company
            >> file.) I use various different xterms, ssh clients (e.g., putty), etc.
            >> and the kinds of problems you are having are not unusual.
            >>

            >> ; fix Backspace using Putty
            >> -1 translate-key "C-h" ; remove translation to "backspace"
            >> translate-key "\x7F" "backspace" ; Backspace key
            >>
            >> ; fix del, home keys termcap/Putty/Solaris ME20040403
            >> translate-key "C-[ [ 3 ~" "delete" ; ^[[3~ ('cat' output)
            >> translate-key "C-[ [ 1 ~" "home" ; ^[[1~
            >>
            >> ; add support for termcap/Putty/Solaris
            >> translate-key "C-[ O A" "C-up" ; ctrl up ^[OA
            >> translate-key "C-[ O B" "C-down" ; ctrl down ^[OB
            >> translate-key "C-[ O D" "C-left" ; ctrl left ^[OD
            >> translate-key "C-[ O C" "C-right" ; ctrl right ^[OC
            >>

            >> Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
            >>> From: Jon Green <jon@...>
            >>> Subject: Re: [jasspa] me -n ?
            >>> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:16:56 +0000
            >>>
            >>> Hi,
            >>>
            >>> I did a describe-key in a "me -n" started ME and pressed
            >>> "HOME".
            >>>
            >>> The minibuffer does show nothing special ( a "normally" started ME
            >>> shows '"home" beginning-of-buffer instead ) and I got a "1~" into
            >>> the (main) buffer as mentioned in my first mail.
            >>>
            >>> Kind regards,
            >>> Meino

          • Meino Christian Cramer
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 13, 2005
              From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
              Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:44:22 -0800

              I gave it up...

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 14, 2005
                The use of 'C-h k' for this type of problem has limited use. The problem
                is that these keys events send multiple key sequences and unless you
                have already setup the translation correctly ME will generate several
                input key events for that single key press.

                For example, if the Home key generates "^[ [ 1 ~", without the correct
                translation this will be broken down to:

                "esc [" - '^[' is an escape char, this is bound to backward-paragraph
                "1" - Insert a '1'
                "~" - Insert a '~'

                Doing a describe-key before pressing this key would report 'esc-[
                backward-paragraph' but you would not see this as ME then immediately
                receives a '1' and '~' key event. ME tends to go ballistic if you press
                these extended keys without the correct translation because they all
                tend to start with '^['.

                So how do you fix this? As already discussed, it is through the use of
                translate-key, previous posting
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jasspa/message/928 covers most of this.

                I would however like to add 2 suggestions on how to get the required key
                translation sequence:

                1) Run 'sh' (the most basic shell), press the problematic key and then
                return (enter). As sh does not usually handle these keys either it will
                usually print something like:

                ~[[1~: Not found

                2) A simpler way of using ME's $recent-keys is to run:

                me -n @a

                Because 'a.emf' does not exist ME effectively starts up with no
                configuration, i.e. no translate-key settings that can cause confusion.
                This is easier that trying to find and comment out all the existing
                'translate-keys'.

                Of