Re: [jasspa] String-rectangle unable to insert at pos 0 ?

  • Meino Christian Cramer
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2005
      From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
      Subject: Re: [jasspa] String-rectangle unable to insert at pos 0 ?
      Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:42:47 -0800

      Hi Thomas !

      Thanks for your reply ! :)

      > For now do a workaround:
      > query-replace-string "^" with "rm -f"

      ...this is a little heavy for that much lines with
      files I want to remove i.e. prepend with "rm -f "...

      By the way: What did you mean with "official version"? Is there
      something better "inofficial" rectangle-warez out there ? Where
      can I get it and is it all0wed to uz it? I liked hacked firmware --
      especially for my ME, hahahahaha ;)))

      Keep hacking!
      Meino

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2005
        You say the query-replace-string is "heavy". ("Schwer"? You mean
        "difficult". See http://dict.leo.org/ )

        I don't see what the problem is. Are you aware of the '!' key which
        means "replace all the rest of them"? It is documented. If you want an
        industrial-strength solution, I'd recommend Perl.

        "Official version" = currently released version. I.e., you have the
        correct code. There is no other I'm aware of.

        I don't think you know what firmware is.
        http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+firmware

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2005
          If you are trying to replace strings over multiple files look at the
          following commands:

          replace-all-string, query-replace-all-string

          replace-all-pairs

          These commands use grep to find all references of the 'from' string in a
          given set of files, it then uses replace-string for each occurrence. As
          your grep's regex may not be compatible (or as powerful) as ME's you can
          use the numeric argument to tell the command you are giving it a
          specific grep string, i.e.:

          3 replace-all-string "a[bB]c" "def" "*.c" "a.c"

          In this example all "abc" or "aBc" strings in all C files will be
          replaced with "def", the grep string of "a.c" will match many more
          combinations (i.e. "azc") but these will not be matched by the "a[bB]c"
          regex so they will be ignored.

          The equivalent in replace-all-pairs is to use a line like:

          /a[bB]c/def/a.c/

          Try:

          3 replace-all-string "^" "rm -f " "*" "."

          This will insert "rm -f " at the start of every non-empty line in every
          file in the current directory. But please make a copy of these files
          FIRST, if these go wrong they can go very wrong.

          I have used these commands to make major api changes to source code
          (e.g. using replace-all-pairs lines like the following:

          /\<int32\>/meInt/int32/

          which replaces any 'int32' as a word (i.e. not 'print32') to meInt) and
          have found them invaluable and a lot less hassle than sed, awk or perl!

          Of