me -n ?

  • Meino Christian Cramer
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 11, 2005
      Hi,

      Sometimes I like to use "me -n" instead of "me". Unfortunately some
      keys behaves oddly like "Del", "Home", "End" and such. Instead of
      moving around in the text they do insert a control-character into the
      sourcecode I am writing.

      TERM is set to "xterm".

      I fear, when tweaking any setting and "me -n" will run, I will
      confuse the "pure me" instead.

      What can I do to circumvent the problem ?

      Does "me -n" behaves ok when using together with "screen" ?

      Keep microemacsing!
      Meino
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 12, 2005
        You are doing a C-h k to find out what ME is seeing the key as, right?

        And you've done a search for likely keywords like "keysym" and
        "mapping" and "map" in the ME yahoo group archive, right?

        -Th

        Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Sometimes I like to use "me -n" instead of "me". Unfortunately some
        > keys behaves oddly like "Del", "Home", "End" and such. Instead of
        > moving around in the text they do insert a control-character into the
        > sourcecode I am writing.
        >
        > TERM is set to "xterm".
        >
        > I fear, when tweaking any setting and "me -n" will run, I will
        > confuse the "pure me" instead.
        >
        > What can I do to circumvent the problem ?
        >
        > Does "me -n" behaves ok when using together with "screen" ?
        >
        > Keep microemacsing!
        > Meino
      • Meino Christian Cramer
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 12, 2005
          From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
          Subject: Re: [jasspa] me -n ?
          Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:11:25 -0800

          Just to clearify...

          Your suggested "C-h k" command does nothing at least with my ME
          started as "me -n".

          And for me as a non-native English speaker (as you have already
          noticed, while correcting my English and my helpless attempts to be a
          little humorous by comparing the ME macro files with "firmware") it
          is not that simple to find words matching technical problems I have
          with this or that. That's why I had hoped to meet people here with
          more feel for language than a simple search engine.

          If I would know the answer, I would not ask.

          But your knowledge of links is impressive!

          It does not disturb me, that you're handling me like a computer kid, but
          the IQ you conced to me is a shame.

          Have a nicer weekend!
          Kind regards,
          Meino

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 12, 2005
            Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
            > From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
            > Subject: Re: [jasspa] me -n ?
            > Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:11:25 -0800
            >
            > Just to clearify...
            >
            > Your suggested "C-h k" command does nothing at least with my ME
            > started as "me -n".

            What is C-h in a termcap terminal?
            It happens to be "BACKSPACE".

            So there is no such key visible to ME in this environment so the binding
            will never work. termcap honours the keys that it can, there are some
            that you just cannot do and have to use the "M-x name" combination.

            Jon.
          • Meino Christian Cramer
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 12, 2005
              From: Jon Green <jon@...>
              Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:16:56 +0000

              Hi,

              I did a describe-key in a "me -n" started ME and pressed
              "HOME".

              The minibuffer does show nothing special ( a "normally" started ME
              shows '"home" beginning-of-buffer instead ) and I got a "1~" into
              the (main) buffer as mentioned in my first mail.

              Kind regards,
              Meino

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 12, 2005
                See if any of these help or give you ideas. (Code from my company
                file.) I use various different xterms, ssh clients (e.g., putty), etc.
                and the kinds of problems you are having are not unusual.

                ; fix Backspace using Putty
                -1 translate-key "C-h" ; remove translation to "backspace"
                translate-key "\x7F" "backspace" ; Backspace key

                ; fix del, home keys termcap/Putty/Solaris ME20040403
                translate-key "C-[ [ 3 ~" "delete" ; ^[[3~ ('cat' output)
                translate-key "C-[ [ 1 ~" "home" ; ^[[1~

                ; add support for termcap/Putty/Solaris
                translate-key "C-[ O A" "C-up" ; ctrl up ^[OA
                translate-key "C-[ O B" "C-down" ; ctrl down ^[OB
                translate-key "C-[ O D" "C-left" ; ctrl left ^[OD
                translate-key "C-[ O C" "C-right" ; ctrl right ^[OC

                Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
                > From: Jon Green <jon@...>
                > Subject: Re: [jasspa] me -n ?
                > Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:16:56 +0000
                >
                > Hi,
                >
                > I did a describe-key in a "me -n" started ME and pressed
                > "HOME".
                >
                > The minibuffer does show nothing special ( a "normally" started ME
                > shows '"home" beginning-of-buffer instead ) and I got a "1~" into
                > the (main) buffer as mentioned in my first mail.
                >
                > Kind regards,
                > Meino
                >
                >> Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
                >>> From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
                >>> Subject: Re: [jasspa] me -n ?
                >>> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:11:25 -0800
                >>>
                >>> Just to clearify...
                >>>
                >>> Your suggested "C-h k" command does nothing at least with my ME
                >>> started as "me -n".
                >>>
                >> What is C-h in a termcap terminal?
                >> It happens to be "BACKSPACE".
                >>
                >> So there is no such key visible to ME in this environment so the binding
                >> will never work. termcap honours the keys that it can, there are some
                >> that you just cannot do and have to use the "M-x name" combination.
                >>
                >> Jon.

              • Meino Christian Cramer
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 12, 2005
                  From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
                  Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:29:03 -0800

                  Yes, one of those lines have fixed my problems with the HOME key (and
                  others). There is only one thing remaining: How cxan I identify the
                  lines from below, which I really need? I dont want to add things,
                  which may lead to confusion in the near future...

                  Is the assumption correct, that any line, which translate-key a key, which
                  works right now and is listed below as the second argument to
                  "translate-key" is needed? Or are there any "side effects" or
                  assembled key sequences?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 13, 2005
                    Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
                    > Yes, one of those lines have fixed my problems with the HOME key (and
                    > others).

                    Great! Glad to have helped.

                    > There is only one thing remaining: How can I identify the
                    > lines from below, which I really need?

                    Add them one at a time?

                    > I don't want to add things,
                    > which may lead to confusion in the near future...

                    I suggest you not add anything that you do not understand.

                    Have you read everything in the archive related to this?

                    >> See if any of these help or give you ideas. (Code from my company
                    >> file.) I use various different xterms, ssh clients (e.g., putty), etc.
                    >> and the kinds of problems you are having are not unusual.
                    >>

                    >> ; fix Backspace using Putty
                    >> -1 translate-key "C-h" ; remove translation to "backspace"
                    >> translate-key "\x7F" "backspace" ; Backspace key
                    >>
                    >> ; fix del, home keys termcap/Putty/Solaris ME20040403
                    >> translate-key "C-[ [ 3 ~" "delete" ; ^[[3~ ('cat' output)
                    >> translate-key "C-[ [ 1 ~" "home" ; ^[[1~
                    >>
                    >> ; add support for termcap/Putty/Solaris
                    >> translate-key "C-[ O A" "C-up" ; ctrl up ^[OA
                    >> translate-key "C-[ O B" "C-down" ; ctrl down ^[OB
                    >> translate-key "C-[ O D" "C-left" ; ctrl left ^[OD
                    >> translate-key "C-[ O C" "C-right" ; ctrl right ^[OC
                    >>

                    >> Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
                    >>> From: Jon Green <jon@...>
                    >>> Subject: Re: [jasspa] me -n ?
                    >>> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:16:56 +0000
                    >>>
                    >>> Hi,
                    >>>
                    >>> I did a describe-key in a "me -n" started ME and pressed
                    >>> "HOME".
                    >>>
                    >>> The minibuffer does show nothing special ( a "normally" started ME
                    >>> shows '"home" beginning-of-buffer instead ) and I got a "1~" into
                    >>> the (main) buffer as mentioned in my first mail.
                    >>>
                    >>> Kind regards,
                    >>> Meino

                  • Meino Christian Cramer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 13, 2005
                      From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
                      Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:44:22 -0800

                      I gave it up...

                      Meino

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 14, 2005
                        The use of 'C-h k' for this type of problem has limited use. The problem
                        is that these keys events send multiple key sequences and unless you
                        have already setup the translation correctly ME will generate several
                        input key events for that single key press.

                        For example, if the Home key generates "^[ [ 1 ~", without the correct
                        translation this will be broken down to:

                        "esc [" - '^[' is an escape char, this is bound to backward-paragraph
                        "1" - Insert a '1'
                        "~" - Insert a '~'

                        Doing a describe-key before pressing this key would report 'esc-[
                        backward-paragraph' but you would not see this as ME then immediately
                        receives a '1' and '~' key event. ME tends to go ballistic if you press
                        these extended keys without the correct translation because they all
                        tend to start with '^['.

                        So how do you fix this? As already discussed, it is through the use of
                        translate-key, previous posting
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jasspa/message/928 covers most of this.

                        I would however like to add 2 suggestions on how to get the required key
                        translation sequence:

                        1) Run 'sh' (the most basic shell), press the problematic key and then
                        return (enter). As sh does not usually handle these keys either it will
                        usually print something like:

                        ~[[1~: Not found

                        2) A simpler way of using ME's $recent-keys is to run:

                        me -n @a

                        Because 'a.emf' does not exist ME effectively starts up with no
                        configuration, i.e. no translate-key settings that can cause confusion.
                        This is easier that trying to find and comment out all the existing
                        'translate-keys'.

                        Of