Printing -- footers

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2005
      I've been playing with my print-setup due to switching to a different
      model LaserJet, and ran into a couple of things (none of which are
      earth-shakingly important):

      1. Is there a way to set a color for the header or footer text? Some
      kind of escape sequence maybe? Right now it only comes out in "plain".
      Something like italics would be nice, to distinguish it from the data
      text. (Printing it in a smaller font would work too, but I think that'd
      be kind of hard to do.)

      2. In another effort to distinguish the footer, I've tried leaving more
      than one blank line before the footer text. This makes the footer
      disappear! I've also tried putting "1" and "2" on the first two lines
      to make them non-blank, and now I get a printout with 1 and 2 at the
      bottom and still no footer text. Yes, I played with the offset, and
      that doesn't help (i.e., my conclusion is, it's not that the text is
      spilling over beyond the edge of the printer's available print area; I
      could set the offset to 50 and have the footer print in the middle of
      the page and still would only get lines saying 1, 2, <nothing>; it's ME
      that's the problem).

      3. It would be nice to have a "total number of pages" field, to make the
      footer read like "Page 4 of 10". I've found this ability useful in the
      past.

      4. It would be fun to have the month available as MMM (e.g., "Nov") but
      that's probably also a bit of a PITA (pain in the ___) and everybody's
      going to want it a diffent way
      (caps/lowercase/long/abbreviated/localized).

      5. The %b tag appears to be broken. Supposed to print the buffer name.
      Prints nothing.

      Where does the printing actually get implemented? Is it an emf file or
      in the binary? (I looked at everything named print*.emf already and
      couldn't find it. Probably it's in the binary...)

      Thanks