Re: [jasspa] Execution of macro right before save of file

  • Meino Christian Cramer
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
      From: Steven Phillips <bill@...>
      Subject: Re: [jasspa] Execution of macro right before save of file
      Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:01:00 +0000

      Hi Steve,

      the macro "kills" me -- ooops...not me of course...it kills ME ;)

      I got "Error executing <macrofile>, line <line#>."

      Pressing RETURN then (which normally loads the offending file)
      displays in the minibuffer "No such command "<binary garbage>", where
      <binary garbarge> is some non-ascii- characters.

      I will try to fix this by myself...I just want to post this as an
      information only.

      Keep microemacsing!
      Meino

      > There is no built in mechanism at present although I can see a need of one.
      > With the current release the best (and only) solution I can think of is to
      > rebind the keys you use to save the buffer to a macro which first cleans the
      > buffer, e.g.:
      >
      > define-macro my-save-buffer
      > clean
      > @# save-buffer @mna
      > !emacro
      > global-bind-key my-save-buffer "C-x C-s"
      >
      > (Note I have not tested this macro!)
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > > Subject: [jasspa] Execution of macro right before save of file
      > > From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@...>
      > > Date: Tuesday, November 1, 2005, 6:35:02 PM
      > > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
      > > Hi,
      >
      > > For my daily work it is neccessary, that I will not save files with
      > > lines matching ^[ ]+$
      >
      > > I thought of binding 'clean' to a hook but can't find an appropiate
      > > hook for that. Additionally I connot decide whether I understood the
      > > concept of hooks and how to use them for sure.... :)
      >
      > > Is there a way to achieve the execution of 'clean' right before
      > > saveing the buffer ?
      >
      > > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
      > > Meino

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Meino Christian Cramer
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
        From: Steven Phillips <bill@...>
        Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:01:00 +0000

        Hi,

        FIXED!
        It was some non-visible "something" between my macro definition...

        Sorry for the wrong alert.

        Keep microemacsing!
        Meino

        > There is no built in mechanism at present although I can see a need of one.
        > With the current release the best (and only) solution I can think of is to
        > rebind the keys you use to save the buffer to a macro which first cleans the
        > buffer, e.g.:
        >
        > define-macro my-save-buffer
        > clean
        > @# save-buffer @mna
        > !emacro
        > global-bind-key my-save-buffer "C-x C-s"
        >
        > (Note I have not tested this macro!)
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > > Subject: [jasspa] Execution of macro right before save of file
        > > From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@...>
        > > Date: Tuesday, November 1, 2005, 6:35:02 PM
        > > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
        > > Hi,
        >
        > > For my daily work it is neccessary, that I will not save files with
        > > lines matching ^[ ]+$
        >
        > > I thought of binding 'clean' to a hook but can't find an appropiate
        > > hook for that. Additionally I connot decide whether I understood the
        > > concept of hooks and how to use them for sure.... :)
        >
        > > Is there a way to achieve the execution of 'clean' right before
        > > saveing the buffer ?
        >
        > > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
        > > Meino

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Meino Christian Cramer
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2005
          From: Steven Phillips <bill@...>
          Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:01:00 +0000

          Hi Steve,

          I have "tuned" your macro and wrote a similiar piece of code
          to be executed when pressing "C-x C-c" -- unfortunately I got "problems" ;)

          These are my current definitions

          define-macro my-save-buffer
          !force clean
          @# save-buffer @mna
          !emacro
          global-bind-key my-save-buffer "C-x C-s"

          define-macro my-save-buffers-exit-emacs
          !force clean
          @# save-buffers-exit-emacs @mna
          !emacro
          global-bind-key my-save-buffers-exit-emacs "C-x C-c"

          1.) When loading a file, which has blanks before $, I get asked "save
          buffer?" even when nothing was changed myself. It would
          be nice, if this question could be skipped when the "clean"
          command was the only one, which changes the buffer...
          2.) When loading binary files by accident or intentionally, the macro
          should *not* clean anything...

          I would be very happy for any hint to achieve this...

          Happy MicroEmacsing!

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2005
            You noeed to only do the clean if the buffer is edited, i.e. check that the
            edit mode is enabled, i.e. try something like:

            define-macro my-save-buffer
            !if &bmod "edit"
            !force clean
            !endif
            @# save-buffer @mna
            !emacro

            Similarly you should check whether "binary" (or "rbin") mode is NOT set.

            WRT. string-rectangle, is it possible you did not have a multiple lined region
            defined?