Re: [jasspa] Execution of macro right before save of file

  • Meino Christian Cramer
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
      From: Steven Phillips <bill@...>
      Subject: Re: [jasspa] Execution of macro right before save of file
      Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:01:00 +0000

      Hi Steve !

      Thanks a for the macro! :O)
      Sometimes the solution for a problem is too simple and too
      straight-forward as it can be found by me... :O)))))))))

      Beside of that I would welcome the implementation of
      I-will-now-leave-fhook. An additional idea would be the possibility
      to stop the process of saveing (and leaving) if the macro to be
      executed returns an error code. A message could be displayed than.

      This would ensure that certain files have to be saved in a certain
      format. This would make life in companies sometimes more easier ;)

      Thanks a lot for your help!
      Have a nice day!
      Meino

      > There is no built in mechanism at present although I can see a need of one.
      > With the current release the best (and only) solution I can think of is to
      > rebind the keys you use to save the buffer to a macro which first cleans the
      > buffer, e.g.:
      >
      > define-macro my-save-buffer
      > clean
      > @# save-buffer @mna
      > !emacro
      > global-bind-key my-save-buffer "C-x C-s"
      >
      > (Note I have not tested this macro!)
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > > Subject: [jasspa] Execution of macro right before save of file
      > > From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@...>
      > > Date: Tuesday, November 1, 2005, 6:35:02 PM
      > > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
      > > Hi,
      >
      > > For my daily work it is neccessary, that I will not save files with
      > > lines matching ^[ ]+$
      >
      > > I thought of binding 'clean' to a hook but can't find an appropiate
      > > hook for that. Additionally I connot decide whether I understood the
      > > concept of hooks and how to use them for sure.... :)
      >
      > > Is there a way to achieve the execution of 'clean' right before
      > > saveing the buffer ?
      >
      > > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
      > > Meino

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Meino Christian Cramer
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
        From: Steven Phillips <bill@...>
        Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:01:00 +0000

        Hi Steve,

        the macro "kills" me -- ooops...not me of course...it kills ME ;)

        I got "Error executing <macrofile>, line <line#>."

        Pressing RETURN then (which normally loads the offending file)
        displays in the minibuffer "No such command "<binary garbage>", where
        <binary garbarge> is some non-ascii- characters.

        I will try to fix this by myself...I just want to post this as an
        information only.

        Keep microemacsing!
        Meino

        > There is no built in mechanism at present although I can see a need of one.
        > With the current release the best (and only) solution I can think of is to
        > rebind the keys you use to save the buffer to a macro which first cleans the
        > buffer, e.g.:
        >
        > define-macro my-save-buffer
        > clean
        > @# save-buffer @mna
        > !emacro
        > global-bind-key my-save-buffer "C-x C-s"
        >
        > (Note I have not tested this macro!)
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > > Subject: [jasspa] Execution of macro right before save of file
        > > From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@...>
        > > Date: Tuesday, November 1, 2005, 6:35:02 PM
        > > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
        > > Hi,
        >
        > > For my daily work it is neccessary, that I will not save files with
        > > lines matching ^[ ]+$
        >
        > > I thought of binding 'clean' to a hook but can't find an appropiate
        > > hook for that. Additionally I connot decide whether I understood the
        > > concept of hooks and how to use them for sure.... :)
        >
        > > Is there a way to achieve the execution of 'clean' right before
        > > saveing the buffer ?
        >
        > > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
        > > Meino

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Meino Christian Cramer
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2005
          From: Steven Phillips <bill@...>
          Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:01:00 +0000

          Hi,

          FIXED!
          It was some non-visible "something" between my macro definition...

          Sorry for the wrong alert.

          Keep microemacsing!
          Meino

          > There is no built in mechanism at present although I can see a need of one.
          > With the current release the best (and only) solution I can think of is to
          > rebind the keys you use to save the buffer to a macro which first cleans the
          > buffer, e.g.:
          >
          > define-macro my-save-buffer
          > clean
          > @# save-buffer @mna
          > !emacro
          > global-bind-key my-save-buffer "C-x C-s"
          >
          > (Note I have not tested this macro!)
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > > Subject: [jasspa] Execution of macro right before save of file
          > > From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@...>
          > > Date: Tuesday, November 1, 2005, 6:35:02 PM
          > > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
          > > Hi,
          >
          > > For my daily work it is neccessary, that I will not save files with
          > > lines matching ^[ ]+$
          >
          > > I thought of binding 'clean' to a hook but can't find an appropiate
          > > hook for that. Additionally I connot decide whether I understood the
          > > concept of hooks and how to use them for sure.... :)
          >
          > > Is there a way to achieve the execution of 'clean' right before
          > > saveing the buffer ?
          >
          > > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
          > > Meino

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Meino Christian Cramer
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2005
            From: Steven Phillips <bill@...>
            Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:01:00 +0000

            Hi Steve,

            I have "tuned" your macro and wrote a similiar piece of code
            to be executed when pressing "C-x C-c" -- unfortunately I got "problems" ;)

            These are my current definitions

            define-macro my-save-buffer
            !force clean
            @# save-buffer @mna
            !emacro
            global-bind-key my-save-buffer "C-x C-s"

            define-macro my-save-buffers-exit-emacs
            !force clean
            @# save-buffers-exit-emacs @mna
            !emacro
            global-bind-key my-save-buffers-exit-emacs "C-x C-c"

            1.) When loading a file, which has blanks before $, I get asked "save
            buffer?" even when nothing was changed myself. It would
            be nice, if this question could be skipped when the "clean"
            command was the only one, which changes the buffer...
            2.) When loading binary files by accident or intentionally, the macro
            should *not* clean anything...

            I would be very happy for any hint to achieve this...

            Happy MicroEmacsing!

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2005
              You noeed to only do the clean if the buffer is edited, i.e. check that the
              edit mode is enabled, i.e. try something like:

              define-macro my-save-buffer
              !if &bmod "edit"
              !force clean
              !endif
              @# save-buffer @mna
              !emacro

              Similarly you should check whether "binary" (or "rbin") mode is NOT set.

              WRT. string-rectangle, is it possible you did not have a multiple lined region
              defined?