Re[2]: [jasspa] notes feature

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 29, 2005
      A while ago I created a similar format called JST (see hkjst.emf), based
      loosely on Jon's Doc mode, JST had the advantage of being able to generate
      html & rtf, you could also create tables, links, images, and source code from
      many languages which would all be hilighted; it also generated a table of
      contents.

      However, it never took off and it fell into disuse.

      Recently I have been looking at the wiki text formats which are similar in
      concept and thought I really should convert JST to use a 'standard' text
      markup format. But that's the problem, there does not seem to be a single
      recognized standard, only lots of good suggestions (like txt2tags and JST).

      So if we can agree on a standard then I'll port the JST hook and support over
      to that format.

      txt2tags does look good, the format seems to be simple enough to remember and
      not get in the way but powerful enough to do most things (doesn't support
      hilighting of source code, only verbatim sections which is understandable). It
      has the further advantage of being able to generate 10 different formats and
      is under GPL.

      Are there any better formats out there?

      Steve

      > Subject: [jasspa] notes feature
      > From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
      > Date: Saturday, October 29, 2005, 7:53:57 PM
      > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
      > Thanks but there are many such languages... (this one looks similar to
      > what is used on Wikis)... the whole point is that I want there to be an
      > editor mode for it. I could easily whip up something in Perl to take
      > any arbitrary "language" and format it any way I want. The hard part is
      > making the editor display it nicely.

      > The idea being: a structured format that is somewhat WYSIWYG, because
      > probably half the time it will be viewed in the editor.

      > The other thing that would be nice, and which I don't see ever being
      > able to get from ME, is being to have diagrams, drawings, and sketches.

      > -Th

      > Christof Boeckler wrote:

      >>>IMO the problem of structured documents is very important, and is the
      >>>biggest thing missing from ME. There ought to be one format, which

      >> Take a look at http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/! It seems to be exactly
      >> the kind of language you are looking for: 1 source can be converted to
      >> multiple target formats ((x)HTML, LaTeX, man-page, soon: RTF!). I use it
      >> for simple, but structured webpages. (And it does the table of contents
      >> there.) You can even do the linking for apropriate targets ... it's fun!
      >>
      >> The only thing that's missing: a MicroEmacs mode for it ...

    • Christof Boeckler
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
        Steven Phillips schrieb:
        > So if we can agree on a standard then I'll port the JST hook and support over
        > to that format.

        I vote for txt2tags.

        > Are there any better formats out there?

        I haven't found any.

        > Steve

        Gruß / Regards
        Christof

        --
        http://home.in.tum.de/~boeckler/ http://www.spiegel.de/zwiebelfisch
        Da sie sich für weise hielten, sind sie zu Narren geworden. Rö 1,22