Re: [jasspa] notes feature

  • Christof Boeckler
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 29, 2005
      Hey Thomas,

      although I can't say much about your remarks on the notes mode, maybe I
      have something useful regarding your last wish.

      Thomas Hundt schrieb:
      > [...]
      > IMO the problem of structured documents is very important, and is the
      > biggest thing missing from ME. There ought to be one format, which
      > could export to help files, word-processor documents, pseudocode... any
      > number of things. There needs to be numbering of sections, and
      > references (links) to sections. And a table of contents. Like Word
      > has. Of course, that's what most of the world uses, and it works most
      > of the time (if you don't mind a few bugs). If you guys don't feel like
      > writing a word processor, I won't hold it against you :-)
      >
      > -Th

      Take a look at http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/! It seems to be exactly
      the kind of language you are looking for: 1 source can be converted to
      multiple target formats ((x)HTML, LaTeX, man-page, soon: RTF!). I use it
      for simple, but structured webpages. (And it does the table of contents
      there.) You can even do the linking for apropriate targets ... it's fun!

      The only thing that's missing: a MicroEmacs mode for it ...

      Gruß / Regards
      Christof

      --
      http://home.in.tum.de/~boeckler/ http://www.spiegel.de/zwiebelfisch
      Da sie sich für weise hielten, sind sie zu Narren geworden. Rö 1,22
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 29, 2005
        Thanks but there are many such languages... (this one looks similar to
        what is used on Wikis)... the whole point is that I want there to be an
        editor mode for it. I could easily whip up something in Perl to take
        any arbitrary "language" and format it any way I want. The hard part is
        making the editor display it nicely.

        The idea being: a structured format that is somewhat WYSIWYG, because
        probably half the time it will be viewed in the editor.

        The other thing that would be nice, and which I don't see ever being
        able to get from ME, is being to have diagrams, drawings, and sketches.

        -Th

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 29, 2005
          A while ago I created a similar format called JST (see hkjst.emf), based
          loosely on Jon's Doc mode, JST had the advantage of being able to generate
          html & rtf, you could also create tables, links, images, and source code from
          many languages which would all be hilighted; it also generated a table of
          contents.

          However, it never took off and it fell into disuse.

          Recently I have been looking at the wiki text formats which are similar in
          concept and thought I really should convert JST to use a 'standard' text
          markup format. But that's the problem, there does not seem to be a single
          recognized standard, only lots of good suggestions (like txt2tags and JST).

          So if we can agree on a standard then I'll port the JST hook and support over
          to that format.

          txt2tags does look good, the format seems to be simple enough to remember and
          not get in the way but powerful enough to do most things (doesn't support
          hilighting of source code, only verbatim sections which is understandable). It
          has the further advantage of being able to generate 10 different formats and
          is under GPL.

          Are there any better formats out there?

          Steve

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
            Steven Phillips schrieb:
            > So if we can agree on a standard then I'll port the JST hook and support over
            > to that format.

            I vote for txt2tags.

            > Are there any better formats out there?

            I haven't found any.