Reference card - suggestions

  • Christof Boeckler
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 28, 2005
      Me again,

      I kicked XEmacs today (200MB!!) because I found out how easy it is to
      script me :-)

      Most of my macros are already working (LaTeX-stuff, working like AUCTEX's
      basic LaTeX input features - the last thing I did with XEmacs). I will
      release that stuff as soon as it is finished.

      So far I have written a reference card for me, which is partially similar
      to the one of XEmacs
      http://refcards.com/refcards/xemacs/index.html
      I have attached it because it's tiny (56kB). Write me your comments and
      suggestions. There is actually a plan for a second page about macro
      development ...

      Gruß / Regards
      Christof

      --
      http://home.in.tum.de/~boeckler/ http://www.spiegel.de/zwiebelfisch
      Da sie sich für weise hielten, sind sie zu Narren geworden. Rö 1,22
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 28, 2005
        Here are my quickref notes, some of which are more useful than others.
        Some of the stuff is out of date. Test it before you publish.
        I'd definitely add the rest of the commandline startup options.
        Also, explanations for more of the setup options might be nice.

        *------------------------------------------------------------
        * Jasspa: MicroEmacs
        *------------------------------------------------------------

        Commandline
        -----------
        - Non-GUI: -n
        - Binary mode: -b
        - Crypto mode: -k
        - Pipe mode: -p (stdin -> *stdin*; save -> stdout)

        Start Position on Screen
        ------------------------
        c:\winnt\me32.ini
        [Defaults]
        ; width [chars] x height [chars] + xoffset [pixels] + yoffset
        geometry=80x44+1370+10

        Troubleshooting
        ---------------
        F11 "show whitespace" renders spaces as "." instead of minibullet?
        Help>User Setup>Extend Char Set: Y
        Background grey running w/Termcap colors? Check ANSI color
        settings in term emul.

        Jasspa Search and Replace Regexp
        --------------------------------
        just plain ( ) match parens
        \w -- [a-zA-Z0-9_]
        \W non-word chars
        \b empty string at begin or end of word (\bfoo\b matches foo as
        sep word)
        \= empty string at point
        \< \> empty string at begin/end of word
        \` \' empty string begin of string
        \( \) bracket "find" expr (use \1 \2 etc to reference)
        [see more under Regexp, below]
        foo\|bar matches foo or bar
        \(foo\|bar\)x matches foox or barx
        \& entire string being matched (also \0)
        \{N,M\} preceeding item at least N but at most M times (both optional)
        \sC matches char whose syntax is C [w=word, (=paren, -=whitespace]
        \s \S match whitespace (20050505)

        *-----
        * Hacking Issues
        *-----
        Template files: Macros/*.etf

        Wrap/Formatting: ifill-paragraph - see format.emf

        Restyle: in format.emf (calls 'tab')
        Some of the C formatting stuff in random.c.

        Interface with MS DevStudio

        File association mechanism
        --------------------------
        Me.emf or workstat.emf calls add-file-hook,
        which associates txt file with hktxt.emf.
        Upon .txt file open it calls hktxt.emf...
        which calls docmacro.emf
        which calls mytxt.emf

        (NOTE: The Windows assocations are now done in registry entries
        by files jasspa_win2k.reg etc in the install dir.)

        Changing mouse cursor (to hourglass icon, while processing)
        ---------------------
        [format.emf]
        set-variable #l0 $mouse
        set-variable $mouse &bor 0x50000 &band 0xffff #l0 ; "wait" icon
        [do some work]
        set-variable $mouse #l0

        *-----
        * Setup/Installation Issues
        *-----

        Favorite user config settings
        -----------------------------
        Start-Up>MS Shift Region = Y (shift+arrows expands region)
        Start-Up>Rebind Home Keys = Y (home/end/C-home/C-end work like Windows)
        #General>MS Friendly Keys = N (I rebind keys in init file)
        Platform>Mouse>Middle button = Move then yank

        Windows configura

        Configuring auto backups
        ------------------------
        MEBACKUPPATH = "/home/thundt/Backup/Jasspa_backups/" # un*x
        MEBACKUPPATH = "C:\Backup\Jasspa_backups\" # win
        MEBACKUPSUB = "s/://" # win
        1 global-mode "backup" ; enables (set in company file)

        --
        Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 29, 2005
          Christof Boeckler wrote:
          > Me again,
          >
          > I kicked XEmacs today (200MB!!) because I found out how easy it is to
          > script me :-)
          >
          > Most of my macros are already working (LaTeX-stuff, working like AUCTEX's
          > basic LaTeX input features - the last thing I did with XEmacs). I will
          > release that stuff as soon as it is finished.
          >
          > So far I have written a reference card for me, which is partially similar
          > to the one of XEmacs
          > http://refcards.com/refcards/xemacs/index.html
          > I have attached it because it's tiny (56kB). Write me your comments and
          > suggestions. There is actually a plan for a second page about macro
          > development ...
          >
          > Gruß / Regards
          > Christof

          Very nice.
          A welcome addition to the documentation.
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 29, 2005
            Thomas Hundt wrote:
            > Here are my quickref notes, some of which are more useful than others.
            > Some of the stuff is out of date. Test it before you publish.
            > I'd definitely add the rest of the commandline startup options.
            > Also, explanations for more of the setup options might be nice.

            Are you using the new 05 "notes" command (M-x notes) to store this sort
            of stuff? If not I suggest that you give it a go, this is where I put
            all sorts of fragments of information now, typically bits of O/S
            information, programming information, machine configuration, software
            license keys etc. It just means that there is one place that I look for
            bits of knowledge that I have accumulated. I'm not sure that anybody
            knows what "notes" does (or even that it exists).

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 29, 2005
              First I've heard of the 'notes' command. Or maybe I tried it once and
              couldn't figure it out. I've really, really been wanting some kind of
              outline-based tool. Not sure if this is it. I would use such a tool
              for developing spec documents and everything else. Right now, I have to
              resort to Word, which is unfortunate. (How do you guys do structured
              documents like long specs?? I'd like to know.)

              I think I want to be able to have some text, and then a piece of
              outline, and then some more text. (At the moment, I can have a list of
              bulleted paragraphs, which ME reformats for me nicely [provided there is
              more than one bullet!], but indentation and sublists are beyond it.) So
              I can have stuff like this:

              Here we look at the Notes functionality
              - Keys
              - Plus and minus collapse/expand
              - Return toggles collapse
              - Insert adds a new note
              - Del deletes one
              - Help
              - cmd avail in detail pane
              - not even avail in tree pane
              - Buffer behavior
              - not in buffer chain??

              But since I can't do this, I have to have a couple of levels of headers,
              with varying levels of decoration to show their places in the heirarchy.
              This is not perfect. (My quickref.txt file is 10,936 lines and 348kb
              long. And I have several files like this: for example, I have one with
              all my magazine subscriptions, and one with all the maintenance info and
              logs for my motorcycle, and another [encrypted!] one with software
              license keys. So, the need for something like 'notes' definitely exists.)

              * * *

              Comments on notes mode:

              Help for the current mode ("Notes mode help", M-h) doesn't display
              anything when run from the right pane; it is not even available from the
              left pane.

              I have issues with the key bindings (so what else is new). IMO they
              should be similar to other common software, so that users don't have to
              re-learn.

              Take a look at Windows Explorer, with the folders pane on the left side
              and the contents of the current folder on the right. (View>Explorer
              Bar>Folders.) This has really nice usability. You can use the mouse,
              you can use simple arrow keys, you can use more sophisticated
              cut/copy/paste to move files around. You can select multiple items by
              holding down Ctrl and clicking one at a time; you can select a range by
              using Shift. Arrow keys move around, and in particular left/right
              arrows collapse/expand a subtree (as do +/-). Tab/S-Tab move you
              between panes, as does C-Tab/S-C-Tab. Holding down Ctrl-Shift and using
              arrows, you can pan the folder pane around.

              The notes buffer does not seem to be in the buffer list available to
              next-buffer and other commands. The only way to get back to it is to
              use the 'notes' command. (This might be because I ran the 'hide notes'
              command. I can't figure out what this does -- it's not in the help, and
              there's no unhide-notes command once hide-notes has been run, so I'm not
              sure it did anything at all.)

              I'd map the + and - keys to open and close a note subtree.

              I hate the use of the Insert key to do anything: what am I supposed to
              do on a Unix box with a dumb terminal, where there is no Insert key?
              I'd map 'i' to Insert a new note. Or maybe 'a' for Add. Or maybe
              something more Emacs-like, such as a carriage return or C-o (open-line).

              Cut-note doesn't actually do anthing until you do paste-note. This is
              very inconsistent with the way Emacs does anything else. Cut-note
              should erase the note! Or at least grey it out or mark it somehow to
              indicate it's been cut. (For that matter, how can one cut multiple notes?)

              Moving up and down through the list of notes doesn't update the contents
              pane on the right. So, I have to hit Return twice (the first time it
              displays the contents, BUT all the subsidiary notes go away because it
              also collapses the subtree; I have to hit it again to re-expand the
              subtree). Again, look at Windows Explorer: the right side pane is
              updated (after a short delay to make sure you are done navigating) to
              show the contents of whatever is highlighted on the left. (This is a
              problem in ME dirtree mode, as well. One of the nice things about ME is
              that you're not supposed to NEED the mouse. But here, clicking displays
              the detail pane immediately; using keys does not.)

              Another big difference between dirtree mode and notes mode is that in
              dirtree, folders can appear on the right side. In notes, the subnotes
              never appear on the right.

              I do like the search feature, though. Incrementally searching through
              all the notes at once is kind of cool. (Too bad it doesn't search the
              notes' titles!)

              Printing could be more powerful. Right now, it prints just the contents
              (not even the title!) of the currently-selected note. Not the whole
              tree, or a selected subset. (Let's say I have a bunch of notes on ME.
              A set of them could have fragments of code and "how-to's" on macro
              development. Another set of them could have shellscripts and
              configuration howtos. What if I wanted to print the ones on macro
              development -- only?)

              IMO the problem of structured documents is very important, and is the
              biggest thing missing from ME. There ought to be one format, which
              could export to help files, word-processor documents, pseudocode... any
              number of things. There needs to be numbering of sections, and
              references (links) to sections. And a table of contents. Like Word
              has. Of course, that's what most of the world uses, and it works most
              of the time (if you don't mind a few bugs). If you guys don't feel like
              writing a word processor, I won't hold it against you :-)

              -Th

              >>Here are my quickref notes, some of which are more useful than others.
              >
              > Are you using the new 05 "notes" command (M-x notes) to store this sort
              > of stuff? If not I suggest that you give it a go, this is where I put
              > all sorts of fragments of information now, typically bits of O/S
              > information, programming information, machine configuration, software
              > license keys etc. It just means that there is one place that I look for
              > bits of knowledge that I have accumulated. I'm not sure that anybody
              > knows what "notes" does (or even that it exists).
              >
              > Jon.
            • Christof Boeckler
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 29, 2005
                Hey Thomas,

                although I can't say much about your remarks on the notes mode, maybe I
                have something useful regarding your last wish.

                Thomas Hundt schrieb:
                > [...]
                > IMO the problem of structured documents is very important, and is the
                > biggest thing missing from ME. There ought to be one format, which
                > could export to help files, word-processor documents, pseudocode... any
                > number of things. There needs to be numbering of sections, and
                > references (links) to sections. And a table of contents. Like Word
                > has. Of course, that's what most of the world uses, and it works most
                > of the time (if you don't mind a few bugs). If you guys don't feel like
                > writing a word processor, I won't hold it against you :-)
                >
                > -Th

                Take a look at http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/! It seems to be exactly
                the kind of language you are looking for: 1 source can be converted to
                multiple target formats ((x)HTML, LaTeX, man-page, soon: RTF!). I use it
                for simple, but structured webpages. (And it does the table of contents
                there.) You can even do the linking for apropriate targets ... it's fun!

                The only thing that's missing: a MicroEmacs mode for it ...

                Gruß / Regards
                Christof

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 29, 2005
                  Thanks but there are many such languages... (this one looks similar to
                  what is used on Wikis)... the whole point is that I want there to be an
                  editor mode for it. I could easily whip up something in Perl to take
                  any arbitrary "language" and format it any way I want. The hard part is
                  making the editor display it nicely.

                  The idea being: a structured format that is somewhat WYSIWYG, because
                  probably half the time it will be viewed in the editor.

                  The other thing that would be nice, and which I don't see ever being
                  able to get from ME, is being to have diagrams, drawings, and sketches.

                  -Th

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 29, 2005
                    A while ago I created a similar format called JST (see hkjst.emf), based
                    loosely on Jon's Doc mode, JST had the advantage of being able to generate
                    html & rtf, you could also create tables, links, images, and source code from
                    many languages which would all be hilighted; it also generated a table of
                    contents.

                    However, it never took off and it fell into disuse.

                    Recently I have been looking at the wiki text formats which are similar in
                    concept and thought I really should convert JST to use a 'standard' text
                    markup format. But that's the problem, there does not seem to be a single
                    recognized standard, only lots of good suggestions (like txt2tags and JST).

                    So if we can agree on a standard then I'll port the JST hook and support over
                    to that format.

                    txt2tags does look good, the format seems to be simple enough to remember and
                    not get in the way but powerful enough to do most things (doesn't support
                    hilighting of source code, only verbatim sections which is understandable). It
                    has the further advantage of being able to generate 10 different formats and
                    is under GPL.

                    Are there any better formats out there?

                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
                      Steven Phillips schrieb:
                      > So if we can agree on a standard then I'll port the JST hook and support over
                      > to that format.

                      I vote for txt2tags.

                      > Are there any better formats out there?

                      I haven't found any.