Re: [jasspa] Indentation/Formatting Question

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      It obviously thinks this is an XML file.

      Perhaps something at the beginning of the file?

      Not just the extension (".txt" etc.) determines what ME thinks the file is!

      Did you read the manual about file hooks?
      Did you read the me.emf file?
      Did you do something like 'grep *.emf add-file-hook | grep -i xml' ?
      These are what I would try.

      -Th

      Gadrin wrote:
      > I'm editing a .txt file that contains code on how to create an XML
      > document.
      >
      > Despite this, ME thinks that the document is an XML file and is
      > indenting some lines to the indent level of the previous line.
      >
      > I have code cut & pasted into the buffer and I'm documenting it line
      > by line so some of it is indented heavily.
      >
      > I describe-variables and found:
      >
      > $fill-mode = "L"
      >
      > and indent isn't on (my buffer modes are: AaBMTtU) and like I said
      > it's a .txt file extension.
      >
      > When I go up to TOOLS, the first option is XML TOOLS instead of text
      > tools, which I'd normally use to left justify a block of text.
      >
      > Can you point me in the direction of where I need to go to eliminate
      > this behavior ?
      >
      > I'd like to "turn off XML mode" and activate "text mode" if possible.

    • Gadrin
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        so the string "XML" somewhere in the file will trigger this ?

        yuck.

        ok, I'll scope out the suggestions you made and see about cleaning
        up the .emf files.

        Gadrin

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
          I take it you refer to the grep command. Note that this is intended to
          print out any references to fhook-xml -- which is what you're looking for.

          -Th

          Gadrin wrote:
          > so the string "XML" somewhere in the file will trigger this ?
          >
          > yuck.
          >
          > ok, I'll scope out the suggestions you made and see about cleaning
          > up the .emf files.
          >
          > Gadrin
          >
          > --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Hundt <thundt@s...> wrote:
          >
          >>It obviously thinks this is an XML file.
          >>
          >>Perhaps something at the beginning of the file?
          >>
          >>Not just the extension (".txt" etc.) determines what ME thinks the
          >
          > file is!
          >
          >>Did you read the manual about file hooks?
          >>Did you read the me.emf file?
          >>Did you do something like 'grep *.emf add-file-hook | grep -i
          >
          > xml' ?
          >
          >>These are what I would try.
          >>
          >>-Th
        • Gadrin
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
            --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Hundt <thundt@s...> wrote:
            > I take it you refer to the grep command. Note that this is
            intended to
            > print out any references to fhook-xml -- which is what you're
            looking for.

            > -Th

            Yes, I have another editor that has a GREP utility (does more or
            less the same thing as ME) that I'm a bit more used to. ME has
            problems with filenames with spaces in them from the GREP output. (I
            have instructions to fix that, but haven't gotten to it yet).

            The file has no XML Declaration/Processing Instruction. However it
            does have the string "<HTML/>" in it. On the first line is the
            filename of XMLStarlet.txt.

            I think what I'll do is just place a !return in the .emf files and
            have it so that I call hkxml.emf explicitly when I need it.
            While I do work with XML files periodically, it's mostly done via
            the XMLDOM or using ME's keyboard macro to make a "quickie" data
            file for testing.

            I do much more work with .txt files and need the ability to format
            them more than the occaisional XML editing session.

            I'll also have to make a Winbatch syntax coloring file too. The XML
            highlighting scheme is _horrible_.