Variables

  • Gadrin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2005
      I was able to create a "Handsoff.emf" file and use it as the
      @startup file to initiate an emacs session, do some editing write a
      new file and exit.

      It seems variables can hold up to about 1K of data. I did a

      shell-command "dir /s > dir.txt"

      then had EMACS grab the file and copy it line by line using &cat
      to a variable. then at the EOF find a new buffer then
      insert-string %dirtxt (which was my variable). It was able to hold
      about 22 lines of data before it couldn't add more. (no errors, just
      further &cat's did nothing).

      I ended up changing the script so that it simply inserted each line
      into a temp buffer each iteration, before saving. The temp buffer
      held the path (parsed from "Directory of ") and the filename on each
      line (minus the extraneous data). Worked great.

      I also found that using

      execute-file "me.emf"

      as the first command inside Handsoff.emf was the best solution.

      Boy, this editor is very slick.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2005
        Gadrin wrote:
        > I was able to create a "Handsoff.emf" file and use it as the
        > @startup file to initiate an emacs session, do some editing write a
        > new file and exit.
        >
        > It seems variables can hold up to about 1K of data.

        Yep, the variable maximum length is 1024 bytes.

        I did a

        > shell-command "dir /s > dir.txt"
        >
        > then had EMACS grab the file and copy it line by line using &cat
        > to a variable. then at the EOF find a new buffer then
        > insert-string %dirtxt (which was my variable). It was able to hold
        > about 22 lines of data before it couldn't add more. (no errors, just
        > further &cat's did nothing).
        >
        > I ended up changing the script so that it simply inserted each line
        > into a temp buffer each iteration, before saving. The temp buffer
        > held the path (parsed from "Directory of ") and the filename on each
        > line (minus the extraneous data). Worked great.

        Yep, this is the correct way to do it.