Duplicating an Installation

  • Gadrin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2005
      I do most of my coding/writing on my laptop, but occaisionally I use
      another computer.

      besides the ME.EMF is there a way to duplicate the other options (like
      those set in User-Setup, Tools) etc ?

      I thought I saw some instructions on doing a re-install someplace.

      ah! here's the link...
      http://www.jasspa.com/me/m2nar009.html

      would that work ? or just have to do it by hand ?
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2005
        Gadrin wrote:
        > I do most of my coding/writing on my laptop, but occaisionally I use
        > another computer.
        >
        > besides the ME.EMF is there a way to duplicate the other options (like
        > those set in User-Setup, Tools) etc ?

        me.emf should not be edited, it is a static file that is part of the distribution. If you do
        want to change this then leave the original me.emf in the macros directory and copy the file
        to your local directory (~/.jasspa/ or c:/documents and settings/.....) and then edit your
        local copy. Your local changed file will be used in preference to the original. Infact this
        goes for all of the files in the macros directory. The reason for doing this is if you break
        it some how then you simply move your private directory out of the way (i.e. not on the
        search path) and you get back to the original and have a better chance of finding out what
        you did wrong.

        > I thought I saw some instructions on doing a re-install someplace.
        >
        > ah! here's the link...
        > http://www.jasspa.com/me/m2nar009.html
        >
        > would that work ? or just have to do it by hand ?

        Install MicroEmacs as normal on the 2nd machine as normal (do not start up editor) and then
        copy all of the files in

        Windows: c:/documents and settings/<user>/application data/jasspa
        OR
        UNIX: $HOME/.jasspa

        to the new machine in the same location and off you go. If you are on the same architecture
        you will not need to run user-setup or anything as everything will be duplicated. There is
        nothing on Windows that is held in the registry apart from the file type short-cuts,
        everything else is written to ME files. If you are moving between architectures then you
        will need to do the user-setup again as it is held on a per-platform basis but all of your
        macros and other stuff will be saved.

        The document that you referred to above describes the patching process. Basically you have
        to be very careful on Windows because you cannot move the executable file as it has a
        horrible side effect of changing the registry locations and things can get very messy.
        All of the macro files can be copied around but the .exe should not change location, instead
        you over-write it with a newer version and may back up the old by copying (not moving).

        Jon.
      • Gadrin
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2005
          Thanks Jon I'll give that a try.