Re: Getting Buffer Information

  • Gadrin
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
      I dugout my old UE.exe/ME.exe and found it had vars like

      $curline
      $curcol

      and so on.

      I tried (C-h v) but didn't see anything inside the listed variables.

      In the meantime I'll dig thru my old .CMD files (command files for
      me/ue and see if they have anything that's still relevant).

      Thanks, Gadrin

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
        Gadrin wrote:
        > how do I find variables like
        >
        > the number of lines in the current buffer ?
        > the current line in the current buffer ?
        >
        > I thought $mode-line might help, but I wasn't able to use ml-write to
        > display any of them.
        >
        > I'd like to build some macros to edit a buffer and want to know where
        > I am at various points in the process.
        >
        > Thanks, Gadrin

        Guess you are looking for:

        esc-x help -> Variable Glossary
        esc-x list-variables

        The existing macros are also a good source of information.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
          Don't use ml-write. Use describe-variable (on mine, bound to "C-h d")
          to display one variable.

          Use "C-h v" to display all of them at once. You can click on them to
          drill down to the help for each.

          You'll want to look at the variables like $window-xxx.

          Notice that $window-line is the line where point (the cursor) is in the
          *buffer* and not where it is in the *window*. To get the latter, you
          must compute $window-line minus $window-y-scroll.

          Have fun,

          -Th

          Jon Green wrote:
          > Gadrin wrote:
          >
          >>how do I find variables like
          >>
          >>the number of lines in the current buffer ?
          >>the current line in the current buffer ?
          >>
          >>I thought $mode-line might help, but I wasn't able to use ml-write to
          >>display any of them.
          >>
          >>I'd like to build some macros to edit a buffer and want to know where
          >>I am at various points in the process.
          >>
          >>Thanks, Gadrin
          >

          > Guess you are looking for:
          >
          > esc-x help -> Variable Glossary
          > esc-x list-variables
          >
          > The existing macros are also a good source of information.
          >
          > Jon.

        • Gadrin
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
            --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Hundt <thundt@s...> wrote:

            > You'll want to look at the variables like $window-xxx.
            >
            > Notice that $window-line is the line where point (the cursor) is
            in the
            > *buffer* and not where it is in the *window*. To get the latter,
            you
            > must compute $window-line minus $window-y-scroll.
            >
            > Have fun,
            >
            > -Th

            yes, I found it about an hour later, buried in one of the on-line
            samples.

            I wrote a complete script to grab an FTP folder listing and turn all
            the dates in the file to YYYY:MM:DD:HH:MM format (adding 12 to the
            times with AM in them).

            A minor challenge to write the buffer and display the message at the
            end (shell-ed out to delete the existing file first). But it works
            like a charm and very quickly.

            the other issue is concatenating a bunch of variables together which
            either is done in one confusingly long line or many, many set-
            variable statements.

            perhaps I can write a function to concatenate a "list" of vars or
            something. I'll have to see.

            Sorry for the bother, and thanks for your help Thom and Jon.

            PS -- no samples in the FILES section of this site ?
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
              You mean like

              set-variable #l9 &cat #l1 &cat #l2 &cat #l3 &cat #l4 #l5

              or

              ml-write &cat "range is " &cat #l7 &cat " to " &cat #l8 &cat " len
              " #l6

              Yes, it gets a little hard to read vs. other languages that use, say, a
              '+', but it's not THAT hard...?

              -Th

              > the other issue is concatenating a bunch of variables together which
              > either is done in one confusingly long line or many, many set-
              > variable statements.
              >
              > perhaps I can write a function to concatenate a "list" of vars or
              > something. I'll have to see.
            • Gadrin
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
                I code alot in Winbatch which uses

                x = "World "
                ile = "I like EMACs."
                strcat("Hello ", x, ile)

                but I did come across sprintf, which is almost as good.

                I suppose I could build my own Strcat @1 @2 @3 ... @n

                boy, I'm very happy with the JASSPA incarnation.

                the find-file/file browser alone is a great feature.

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 10, 2005
                  Gadrin wrote:
                  > I code alot in Winbatch which uses
                  >
                  > x = "World "
                  > ile = "I like EMACs."
                  > strcat("Hello ", x, ile)
                  >
                  > but I did come across sprintf, which is almost as good.
                  >
                  > I suppose I could build my own Strcat @1 @2 @3 ... @n

                  Problem with your suggestion is that you need to know when the argument list ends, this
                  would mean that you need a terminator of some description or an argument count. &spr like
                  you suggest is probably best.