Getting Buffer Information

  • Gadrin
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
      how do I find variables like

      the number of lines in the current buffer ?
      the current line in the current buffer ?

      I thought $mode-line might help, but I wasn't able to use ml-write to
      display any of them.

      I'd like to build some macros to edit a buffer and want to know where
      I am at various points in the process.

      Thanks, Gadrin
    • Gadrin
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
        I dugout my old UE.exe/ME.exe and found it had vars like

        $curline
        $curcol

        and so on.

        I tried (C-h v) but didn't see anything inside the listed variables.

        In the meantime I'll dig thru my old .CMD files (command files for
        me/ue and see if they have anything that's still relevant).

        Thanks, Gadrin

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
          Gadrin wrote:
          > how do I find variables like
          >
          > the number of lines in the current buffer ?
          > the current line in the current buffer ?
          >
          > I thought $mode-line might help, but I wasn't able to use ml-write to
          > display any of them.
          >
          > I'd like to build some macros to edit a buffer and want to know where
          > I am at various points in the process.
          >
          > Thanks, Gadrin

          Guess you are looking for:

          esc-x help -> Variable Glossary
          esc-x list-variables

          The existing macros are also a good source of information.

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
            Don't use ml-write. Use describe-variable (on mine, bound to "C-h d")
            to display one variable.

            Use "C-h v" to display all of them at once. You can click on them to
            drill down to the help for each.

            You'll want to look at the variables like $window-xxx.

            Notice that $window-line is the line where point (the cursor) is in the
            *buffer* and not where it is in the *window*. To get the latter, you
            must compute $window-line minus $window-y-scroll.

            Have fun,

            -Th

            Jon Green wrote:
            > Gadrin wrote:
            >
            >>how do I find variables like
            >>
            >>the number of lines in the current buffer ?
            >>the current line in the current buffer ?
            >>
            >>I thought $mode-line might help, but I wasn't able to use ml-write to
            >>display any of them.
            >>
            >>I'd like to build some macros to edit a buffer and want to know where
            >>I am at various points in the process.
            >>
            >>Thanks, Gadrin
            >

            > Guess you are looking for:
            >
            > esc-x help -> Variable Glossary
            > esc-x list-variables
            >
            > The existing macros are also a good source of information.
            >
            > Jon.

          • Gadrin
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
              --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Hundt <thundt@s...> wrote:

              > You'll want to look at the variables like $window-xxx.
              >
              > Notice that $window-line is the line where point (the cursor) is
              in the
              > *buffer* and not where it is in the *window*. To get the latter,
              you
              > must compute $window-line minus $window-y-scroll.
              >
              > Have fun,
              >
              > -Th

              yes, I found it about an hour later, buried in one of the on-line
              samples.

              I wrote a complete script to grab an FTP folder listing and turn all
              the dates in the file to YYYY:MM:DD:HH:MM format (adding 12 to the
              times with AM in them).

              A minor challenge to write the buffer and display the message at the
              end (shell-ed out to delete the existing file first). But it works
              like a charm and very quickly.

              the other issue is concatenating a bunch of variables together which
              either is done in one confusingly long line or many, many set-
              variable statements.

              perhaps I can write a function to concatenate a "list" of vars or
              something. I'll have to see.

              Sorry for the bother, and thanks for your help Thom and Jon.

              PS -- no samples in the FILES section of this site ?
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
                You mean like

                set-variable #l9 &cat #l1 &cat #l2 &cat #l3 &cat #l4 #l5

                or

                ml-write &cat "range is " &cat #l7 &cat " to " &cat #l8 &cat " len
                " #l6

                Yes, it gets a little hard to read vs. other languages that use, say, a
                '+', but it's not THAT hard...?

                -Th

                > the other issue is concatenating a bunch of variables together which
                > either is done in one confusingly long line or many, many set-
                > variable statements.
                >
                > perhaps I can write a function to concatenate a "list" of vars or
                > something. I'll have to see.
              • Gadrin
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
                  I code alot in Winbatch which uses

                  x = "World "
                  ile = "I like EMACs."
                  strcat("Hello ", x, ile)

                  but I did come across sprintf, which is almost as good.

                  I suppose I could build my own Strcat @1 @2 @3 ... @n

                  boy, I'm very happy with the JASSPA incarnation.

                  the find-file/file browser alone is a great feature.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 10, 2005
                    Gadrin wrote:
                    > I code alot in Winbatch which uses
                    >
                    > x = "World "
                    > ile = "I like EMACs."
                    > strcat("Hello ", x, ile)
                    >
                    > but I did come across sprintf, which is almost as good.
                    >
                    > I suppose I could build my own Strcat @1 @2 @3 ... @n

                    Problem with your suggestion is that you need to know when the argument list ends, this
                    would mean that you need a terminator of some description or an argument count. &spr like
                    you suggest is probably best.