Keyboard Command

  • Gadrin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
      Frequently I search for text, then when the next search comes up ME
      tries to be handy by providing [whateverItypedlast] for me to reuse.
      Occaisionally I don't want to insert anything, and I don't want to use
      their last choice, meaning I want to replace a pattern with a null
      string or nothing. In most editors you just leave the replace field
      blank. Obviously in ME hitting enter will use the [whateverItypedlast].

      I vaguely remember that there was a keyboard command in the old
      MicroEMACS 3.8 that cancelled the "default" selection whenever you did
      a Find or Find/Replace, so you could enter a null string or nothing.

      Anyone know ?
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
        I assume you are using f-isearch (C-S aka ^S). You can edit this field
        using ^P/^N for up and down (to previous search strings) which will put
        the default value into the field, and, if you have a string there, ^A to
        the beginning of it and ^K to erase it. So: ^S (enter isearch), ^P
        (puts in the default), ^A (BOL), ^K (erase it).

        -Th

        Gadrin wrote:
        > Frequently I search for text, then when the next search comes up ME
        > tries to be handy by providing [whateverItypedlast] for me to reuse.
        > Occaisionally I don't want to insert anything, and I don't want to use
        > their last choice, meaning I want to replace a pattern with a null
        > string or nothing. In most editors you just leave the replace field
        > blank. Obviously in ME hitting enter will use the [whateverItypedlast].
        >
        > I vaguely remember that there was a keyboard command in the old
        > MicroEMACS 3.8 that cancelled the "default" selection whenever you did
        > a Find or Find/Replace, so you could enter a null string or nothing.
        >
        > Anyone know ?
      • Gadrin
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
          --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Hundt <thundt@s...> wrote:
          > I assume you are using f-isearch (C-S aka ^S). You can edit this
          field
          > using ^P/^N for up and down (to previous search strings) which will
          put
          > the default value into the field, and, if you have a string there,
          ^A to
          > the beginning of it and ^K to erase it. So: ^S (enter isearch), ^P
          > (puts in the default), ^A (BOL), ^K (erase it).
          >
          > -Th

          Yes! that works. Thanks much!