Leaving the clipboard intact upon exit?

  • ricmwar
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2005
      Is there any way to have microEMACS leave the clipboard intact after a
      M-Z?

      I'm frequently cutting some stuff and then exiting me32 only to find I
      can't paste it in another application.

      Ric
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2005
        ricmwar wrote:
        > Is there any way to have microEMACS leave the clipboard intact after a
        > M-Z?
        >
        > I'm frequently cutting some stuff and then exiting me32 only to find I
        > can't paste it in another application.
        >
        > Ric

        Hi Ric,

        Interesting question. The short answer is "no".

        The reason why is that ME does not use the clipboard as the yank buffer. Internally there
        are 20 yank buffers into which data is pushed and popped and generally manipulated by the
        macros (yank retrieves the top buffer, reyank retrieves the next and subsequent buffers).
        For speed there is no copying through the clipboard, instead the clipboard is only filled
        when a request from another application for the clipboard data is received. This works fine
        if ME is hanging around but causes a problem when the ME shuts when the data is not actually
        in the clipboard ... your problem.

        I guess the solution is to get ME to always copy the current yank buffer into the clipboard
        before the program exits, this would solve your problem. I think you will have to wait for
        the next release (or patch). I must admit I've never noticed this because I run a constant
        ME session that runs from login to logoff (which might be days).