Re: [jasspa] How do you ... ?

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5 4:36 PM
      Steven Phillips wrote:
      > Gadrin,
      >

      >>Subject: [jasspa] How do you ... ?
      >>From: Gadrin <gadrin@...>
      >>Date: Monday, September 5, 2005, 11:28:50 PM
      >>To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
      >>1) Everytime I use HELP, USER SETUP and PLATFORM to change something
      >>(or use USER SETUP at all, after hitting SAVE the program
      >>automatically loads a buffer called Owner.emf and displays it onscreen.
      >

      >>I browsed thru the FAQs but didn't see anything obvious.
      >

      >>Is there (hopefully) a way to disable this feature ?
      >

      > In user-setup's General tab disable the 'Edit' check box next to 'Setup File'.

      Now I did not know that - it is in the help page!
      Thats great - just disabled.
      Jon.
    • Gadrin
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5 5:31 PM
        --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Steven Phillips <bill@j...> wrote:

        > In user-setup's General tab disable the 'Edit' check box next
        to 'Setup File'.

        ah, it's in the "Startup" tab not "General", but thanks a bunch.

        > your changes, Save and exit ME then restart. If this does not work
        email me
        > the changes you are making and I will see if I can reproduce the
        problem.

        > Steve

        I think Jon's suggestions worked as it seems to be stable now.
        Thanks for your offer.

        Do you know how to keep the Tools from splitting the screen when run
        and how they can run asynchronously from the ME app ? I'd like to be
        able to call Explorer.exe with the buffer's current path, but not
        screw up the display, etc, etc.

        Thanks again, Gadrin.
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5 11:53 PM
          Gadrin

          > Do you know how to keep the Tools from splitting the screen when run
          > and how they can run asynchronously from the ME app ? I'd like to be
          > able to call Explorer.exe with the buffer's current path, but not
          > screw up the display, etc, etc.

          With the current release the only ption you have is to use the
          ipipe-shell-command command, if you look at the docs for this command
          you will see that there are bits in the argument that can be used to
          hide the output buffer etc. This will do the job but you still end up
          with an extra command buffer, ME monitoring the spawned command etc.

          For the next release I have introduced a new user defined Tools
          interface for the file browser and for that I needed a similar
          capability to what I believe you are after. I modified the shell-command
          command to be able to spawn a process such as explorer with no waiting
          for its exit or gathering output etc. i.e.

          0x24 shell-command "explorer.exe"

          Would almost certainly do the trick. This is in the development version,
          available at:

          http://www.jasspa.com/development/

          But documentation for this is not yet available,

          Steve

          > Thanks again, Gadrin.

        • Gadrin
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6 8:51 AM
            --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, "Phillips, Steven" <sphillips@p...>
            wrote:
            > > Do you know how to keep the Tools from splitting the screen when
            run
            > > and how they can run asynchronously from the ME app ? I'd like
            to be
            > > able to call Explorer.exe with the buffer's current path, but not
            > > screw up the display, etc, etc.

            actually I discovered the secret just before bed late last night.

            the menu's are a bit counter-intuitive.

            anyway, USER SETUP, TOOLS, set the following...

            CAPTURE to Y
            HIDE to Y
            CONCURRENT to Y

            all the other Y/N options to N

            command line of: explorer.exe c:\program files\jasspa\microemacs

            and it works.

            the CAPTURE had me going, as I thought it was trying to CAPTURE the
            output of the command in a buffer.

            boy I'm impressed by this editor.