Re: [jasspa] How do you ... ?

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
      Gadrin wrote:
      > 1) Everytime I use HELP, USER SETUP and PLATFORM to change something
      > (or use USER SETUP at all, after hitting SAVE the program
      > automatically loads a buffer called Owner.emf and displays it onscreen.
      >
      > I browsed thru the FAQs but didn't see anything obvious.
      >
      > Is there (hopefully) a way to disable this feature ?

      Unfortunately there is no way to turn this off.

      I think this is a bit of history before the <user>.emf file was finally nailed to a defined
      position in the file system. We should think about disabling this in the future.

      It is not really a problem once you are set up because you will not change your profile that
      often.

      > 2) How do I get it to save my font-choices, which seem to work for
      > that moment, but not for closing/restarting.
      >
      > change-font is perfect, but it doesn't save the choices for the next
      > session.

      Use "Save" when you have finished in user-setup. If you quit out of user-setup then go back
      in and do the "Save".

      Note if you have multiple ME's open and change this stuff then the last one closed will
      write the configuration out so when you set up you only want one ME open then close down and
      re-start just to make sure you have written what you want.

      > I've been plugging away using 1) above but it's kinda hit & miss.
      >
      > hrmmm, noticed that when I do use change-font it makes the change but
      > resizes the app kinda like the old 3.8 version! LOL!
      >
      > anyway, despite these setbacks, I'm still liking this product quite a
      > bit.

      Yes the screen does resize, this is because the width and height of the character grid take
      priority. Set your font up to the desired font then "Save" from user-set-up.
      Then resize the window to the kind of foot print you want on screen.

      Right Click on the mode line and select "Store Frame Size".

      Shut down ME and bring it back up. It should now have saved the font size and the frame will
      be restored to what you stored it as.

      Now you should be set up and will not really touch that stuff again.

      Jon.

      > Gadrin
    • Gadrin
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
        --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Jon Green <jon@j...> wrote:
        > Then resize the window to the kind of foot print you want on
        screen.

        > Right Click on the mode line and select "Store Frame Size".
        >
        > Shut down ME and bring it back up. It should now have saved the
        font size and the frame will
        > be restored to what you stored it as.
        >
        > Now you should be set up and will not really touch that stuff
        again.

        > Jon.

        Yes! that seems to work.

        I've got the font/color schemes I want and dropping a file on the
        app doesn't seem to change the window size.

        Next, I need to see about getting the MS Windows selections going.

        The Tools seem a bit strange. I created one to run the ME.hlp file
        just to test, and it opens a buffer and splits the screen. I got rid
        of that, but then ME seems to hibernate until I close the help file.
        Oh well, lots of testing ahead!

        Thanks for your help/patience.
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
          Gadrin,

          > Subject: [jasspa] How do you ... ?
          > From: Gadrin <gadrin@...>
          > Date: Monday, September 5, 2005, 11:28:50 PM
          > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
          > 1) Everytime I use HELP, USER SETUP and PLATFORM to change something
          > (or use USER SETUP at all, after hitting SAVE the program
          > automatically loads a buffer called Owner.emf and displays it onscreen.

          > I browsed thru the FAQs but didn't see anything obvious.

          > Is there (hopefully) a way to disable this feature ?

          In user-setup's General tab disable the 'Edit' check box next to 'Setup File'.

          > 2) How do I get it to save my font-choices, which seem to work for
          > that moment, but not for closing/restarting.

          > change-font is perfect, but it doesn't save the choices for the next
          > session.

          > I've been plugging away using 1) above but it's kinda hit & miss.

          If other settings in user-setup are working properly then you have got a
          reasonable setup, i.e. a user-name with a setup file loading your settings
          in. In which case it is either multiple ME's running at the same time (as Jon
          mentioned) or you have found a bug. Ensure you have only one ME running, make
          your changes, Save and exit ME then restart. If this does not work email me
          the changes you are making and I will see if I can reproduce the problem.

          Steve

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
            Steven Phillips wrote:
            > Gadrin,
            >

            >>Subject: [jasspa] How do you ... ?
            >>From: Gadrin <gadrin@...>
            >>Date: Monday, September 5, 2005, 11:28:50 PM
            >>To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
            >>1) Everytime I use HELP, USER SETUP and PLATFORM to change something
            >>(or use USER SETUP at all, after hitting SAVE the program
            >>automatically loads a buffer called Owner.emf and displays it onscreen.
            >

            >>I browsed thru the FAQs but didn't see anything obvious.
            >

            >>Is there (hopefully) a way to disable this feature ?
            >

            > In user-setup's General tab disable the 'Edit' check box next to 'Setup File'.

            Now I did not know that - it is in the help page!
            Thats great - just disabled.
            Jon.
          • Gadrin
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
              --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Steven Phillips <bill@j...> wrote:

              > In user-setup's General tab disable the 'Edit' check box next
              to 'Setup File'.

              ah, it's in the "Startup" tab not "General", but thanks a bunch.

              > your changes, Save and exit ME then restart. If this does not work
              email me
              > the changes you are making and I will see if I can reproduce the
              problem.

              > Steve

              I think Jon's suggestions worked as it seems to be stable now.
              Thanks for your offer.

              Do you know how to keep the Tools from splitting the screen when run
              and how they can run asynchronously from the ME app ? I'd like to be
              able to call Explorer.exe with the buffer's current path, but not
              screw up the display, etc, etc.

              Thanks again, Gadrin.
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005
                Gadrin

                > Do you know how to keep the Tools from splitting the screen when run
                > and how they can run asynchronously from the ME app ? I'd like to be
                > able to call Explorer.exe with the buffer's current path, but not
                > screw up the display, etc, etc.

                With the current release the only ption you have is to use the
                ipipe-shell-command command, if you look at the docs for this command
                you will see that there are bits in the argument that can be used to
                hide the output buffer etc. This will do the job but you still end up
                with an extra command buffer, ME monitoring the spawned command etc.

                For the next release I have introduced a new user defined Tools
                interface for the file browser and for that I needed a similar
                capability to what I believe you are after. I modified the shell-command
                command to be able to spawn a process such as explorer with no waiting
                for its exit or gathering output etc. i.e.

                0x24 shell-command "explorer.exe"

                Would almost certainly do the trick. This is in the development version,
                available at:

                http://www.jasspa.com/development/

                But documentation for this is not yet available,

                Steve

                > Thanks again, Gadrin.

              • Gadrin
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6, 2005
                  --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, "Phillips, Steven" <sphillips@p...>
                  wrote:
                  > > Do you know how to keep the Tools from splitting the screen when
                  run
                  > > and how they can run asynchronously from the ME app ? I'd like
                  to be
                  > > able to call Explorer.exe with the buffer's current path, but not
                  > > screw up the display, etc, etc.

                  actually I discovered the secret just before bed late last night.

                  the menu's are a bit counter-intuitive.

                  anyway, USER SETUP, TOOLS, set the following...

                  CAPTURE to Y
                  HIDE to Y
                  CONCURRENT to Y

                  all the other Y/N options to N

                  command line of: explorer.exe c:\program files\jasspa\microemacs

                  and it works.

                  the CAPTURE had me going, as I thought it was trying to CAPTURE the
                  output of the command in a buffer.

                  boy I'm impressed by this editor.