Re: [jasspa] Tabs

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2005
      smithno999 wrote:
      > Right after the current version came out, I spent some time mapping the
      > keyboard to my liking. There were a couple of annoyances that I have
      > been meaning to tweak again. I spent a bunch of time over the weekend
      > on my final tweaking of keymappings. I thought that I'd go from using
      > ME from about 3/4 of time to 99%. Unfortunately the TAB key gets in the
      > way.
      >
      > I've read the doc, tried several things without success, and figured it
      > is time to ask. I don't mind the auto indent in most file types,
      > especially the programming language. I always want the TAB key to
      > insert a tab character. What are the magic settings to do this?
      >
      > I tried setting $buffer-indent. I tried global-bind-key TAB "normal-
      > tab". I tried changing the tab setting in the General Tab of User
      > Setup. I think I even tried multiple combinations of the three.
      >
      > I want to complement you all again on the wonderful job you have done
      > making ME usable again!!

      Firstly you need to make sure that real TABS are inserted.

      * Disable the global "TAB" mode.
      * This turns TABS into SPACES from M-x user-setup.
      * Note that this can be selectivelly enabled/disabled on a buffer basis so make sure it is
      off in both places (see buffer-setup below).

      Next diable the buffer indent (the auto-indentation)

      * M-x buffer-setup (or Help->Buffer Setup)
      * Disable "setup Auto Indent"
      * You will need to do this for each buffer type where you want to over-ride the auto indent.

      Once you have done this you can lay stuff out how you like.
      The restyle-buffer etc. will not work because you are controlling the layout.