RE: [jasspa] Annoying ME feature ... ;O)

  • Sabin, Bruno
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 25, 2005
      I experienced a similar behaviour (ME's initial window size bigger than it should) and fixed it by going to the menu help->list registry and then hit the del key on "history/<platform_name>/frame-(depth|width)"

      this simply tells ME to ignore the frame info that you might have stored using a different resolution/window manager.

      Hope this helps
      Bruno
      Bruno Sabin                           Parametric Technology Corp.

      Real software engineers work from 9 to 5, because that is the
      way the job is described in the formal spec. Working late
      would feel like using an undocumented external procedure.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 25, 2005
        I had this same problem with the normal Windows XP task bar. I have it
        "expanded" to include two rows of taskbar items. I had to uncheck the
        "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows" checkbox to be able to see
        the bottom-most line of certain microEmacs windows.

        It seems like there's an off-by-one problem in either microEmacs or
        Windows.

        Darn, now I can't reproduce it. Maybe I need to reboot after changing
        the taskbar properties :-).

        I'll leave it on for a while and send a screenshot if I can get it to
        happen.

        Ric

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 25, 2005
          Sabin, Bruno wrote:
          > fixed it by going to the menu help->list registry and
          > then hit the del key on "history/<platform_name>/frame-(depth|width)"

          Holy cow! Yet another feature I never knew about, but have sort of
          wanted in the past. And it's been right there in front of me. Cool.

          I love Jasspa. There are always new, fun, useful surprises.

          :-)

          -Th
        • Meino Christian Cramer
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 25, 2005
            From: "Sabin, Bruno" <bsabin@...>
            Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:59:53 -0400

            Hi Bruno,

            ...hu? I am not haveing such an entry (I am using Linux...may be this
            is the reason?)

            Thanks for your reply and help ! :)

            keep microemacsing!
            Meino

          • Meino Christian Cramer
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 25, 2005
              From: Jon Green <jnaught@...>
              Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:47:44 +0100

              Hi Jon,

              I will try the development version...but I am using Linux.

              Predefining psoition and size will override the window placement algo
              of the window manager...and will place ME possibly over another
              window.

              But I will try both and post what happens afterwards, ok?

              Thank you for your reply!

              keep microemacsing!
              Meino

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 25, 2005
                Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
                > From: Jon Green <jnaught@...>
                > Subject: Re: [jasspa] Annoying ME feature ... ;O)
                > Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:47:44 +0100
                >
                > Hi Jon,
                >
                > I will try the development version...but I am using Linux.

                OK Sorry thought this was Windows, look at the help page for
                .Xdefaults(8) then. It also has a X-Windows geometry entry the same as
                MS-Windows.

                !# MicroEmacs.geometry: <char-width>x<char-height> {+/-}<xoffset>
                {+-}<yoffset>
                !# Set up the default screen size and position.
                !# 102x65 characters please, 30 pixels from top left
                MicroEmacs.geometry: 102x65 30 30

                Brunos notes apply about list-registry once you have set the frame size
                from ME.

                Jon.