Annoying ME feature ... ;O)

  • Meino Christian Cramer
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 24, 2005
      Hi,

      ME has one """annoying""" feature: It dont respect the screen size
      (...hopefully the correct words...) when using IceWM.

      IceWM has a small taskbar at the bottom of the screen.

      Starting for example rxvt, Emacs or any other application's window is
      put _above_ that taskbar.

      Only ME ignores this and puts itsself partly using the space under
      the taskbar -- and makes its own minibuffer commandline invisible.

      Each time I start ME I had to reposition its window before I am able
      to use it.

      Is this "feature" :) of ME configurable, did I something badly wrong
      or is it possible to tweak the source of ME to avoid this behaviour
      ???

      What can I do ?

      Thank you very much in advance for any help !

      Happy microemacsing!
      Meino
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 25, 2005
        Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > ME has one """annoying""" feature: It dont respect the screen size
        > (...hopefully the correct words...) when using IceWM.
        >
        > IceWM has a small taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
        >
        > Starting for example rxvt, Emacs or any other application's window is
        > put _above_ that taskbar.
        >
        > Only ME ignores this and puts itsself partly using the space under
        > the taskbar -- and makes its own minibuffer commandline invisible.
        >
        > Each time I start ME I had to reposition its window before I am able
        > to use it.
        >
        > Is this "feature" :) of ME configurable, did I something badly wrong
        > or is it possible to tweak the source of ME to avoid this behaviour
        > ???
        >
        > What can I do ?
        >
        > Thank you very much in advance for any help !
        >
        > Happy microemacsing!
        > Meino

        Hi Meino,

        I have no idea what IceWM is or what it does. I get the impression it is
        some sort of task bar launch thing. The only help I can offer is as
        follows ......

        Idea 1
        ------
        There is a 'development' version of ME which fixes problems with dual
        heads under MS Windows and uses a slightly different alorithm for
        determining the frame size.

        http://www.jasspa.com/development/

        Idea 2
        ------
        Look at the help page for me32.ini. Any entry such as:-

        ; Define startup screen size.
        geometry=110x50+70+30

        defines the start up position in the window and size. Note that the size
        may subsequently over-ridden with the "Store Frame Size" option of the
        pop-up after you right click on the mode line (this stores the current
        frame size which is restored on the next start up).

        Jon
      • Sabin, Bruno
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 25, 2005
          I experienced a similar behaviour (ME's initial window size bigger than it should) and fixed it by going to the menu help->list registry and then hit the del key on "history/<platform_name>/frame-(depth|width)"

          this simply tells ME to ignore the frame info that you might have stored using a different resolution/window manager.

          Hope this helps
          Bruno
          Bruno Sabin                           Parametric Technology Corp.

          Real software engineers work from 9 to 5, because that is the
          way the job is described in the formal spec. Working late
          would feel like using an undocumented external procedure.

          IceWM is a window manager for X I am using it (1.0.9) on Windows together
          with Cygwin/X and ME cooperates well here.

          regards,
          Detlef

          > Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > >  ME has one """annoying""" feature: It dont respect the screen size
          > >  (...hopefully the correct words...) when using IceWM.
          > >
          > >  IceWM has a small taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
          > >
          > >  Starting for example rxvt, Emacs or any other application's window is
          > >  put _above_ that taskbar.
          > >
          > >  Only ME ignores this and puts itsself partly using the space under
          > >  the taskbar -- and makes its own minibuffer commandline invisible.
          > >
          > >  Each time I start ME I had to reposition its window before I am able
          > >  to use it.
          > >
          > >  Is this "feature" :) of ME configurable, did I something badly wrong
          > >  or is it possible to tweak the source of ME to avoid this behaviour
          > >  ???
          > >
          > >  What can I do ?
          > >
          > >  Thank you very much in advance for any help !
          > >
          > >  Happy microemacsing!
          > >  Meino
          > >

          > Hi Meino,
          >
          > I have no idea what IceWM is or what it does. I get the impression it is
          > some sort of task bar launch thing. The only help I can offer is as
          > follows ......
          >
          > Idea 1
          > ------
          > There is a 'development' version of ME which fixes problems with dual
          > heads under MS Windows and uses a slightly different alorithm for
          > determining the frame size.
          >
          > http://www.jasspa.com/development/
          >
          > Idea 2
          > ------
          > Look at the help page for me32.ini. Any entry such as:-
          >
          > ; Define startup screen size.
          > geometry=110x50+70+30
          >
          > defines the start up position in the window and size. Note that the size
          > may subsequently over-ridden with the "Store Frame Size" option of the
          > pop-up after you right click on the mode line (this stores the current
          > frame size which is restored on the next start up).
          >
          > Jon

          Dr.Detlef Groth
          Neue Scheune 5
          14548 Ferch
          Germany
        • ricmwar
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 25, 2005
            I had this same problem with the normal Windows XP task bar. I have it
            "expanded" to include two rows of taskbar items. I had to uncheck the
            "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows" checkbox to be able to see
            the bottom-most line of certain microEmacs windows.

            It seems like there's an off-by-one problem in either microEmacs or
            Windows.

            Darn, now I can't reproduce it. Maybe I need to reboot after changing
            the taskbar properties :-).

            I'll leave it on for a while and send a screenshot if I can get it to
            happen.

            Ric

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 25, 2005
              Sabin, Bruno wrote:
              > fixed it by going to the menu help->list registry and
              > then hit the del key on "history/<platform_name>/frame-(depth|width)"

              Holy cow! Yet another feature I never knew about, but have sort of
              wanted in the past. And it's been right there in front of me. Cool.

              I love Jasspa. There are always new, fun, useful surprises.

              :-)

              -Th
            • Meino Christian Cramer
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 25, 2005
                From: "Sabin, Bruno" <bsabin@...>
                Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:59:53 -0400

                Hi Bruno,

                ...hu? I am not haveing such an entry (I am using Linux...may be this
                is the reason?)

                Thanks for your reply and help ! :)

                keep microemacsing!
                Meino

              • Meino Christian Cramer
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 25, 2005
                  From: Jon Green <jnaught@...>
                  Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:47:44 +0100

                  Hi Jon,

                  I will try the development version...but I am using Linux.

                  Predefining psoition and size will override the window placement algo
                  of the window manager...and will place ME possibly over another
                  window.

                  But I will try both and post what happens afterwards, ok?

                  Thank you for your reply!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 25, 2005
                    Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
                    > From: Jon Green <jnaught@...>
                    > Subject: Re: [jasspa] Annoying ME feature ... ;O)
                    > Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:47:44 +0100
                    >
                    > Hi Jon,
                    >
                    > I will try the development version...but I am using Linux.

                    OK Sorry thought this was Windows, look at the help page for
                    .Xdefaults(8) then. It also has a X-Windows geometry entry the same as
                    MS-Windows.

                    !# MicroEmacs.geometry: <char-width>x<char-height> {+/-}<xoffset>
                    {+-}<yoffset>
                    !# Set up the default screen size and position.
                    !# 102x65 characters please, 30 pixels from top left
                    MicroEmacs.geometry: 102x65 30 30

                    Brunos notes apply about list-registry once you have set the frame size
                    from ME.

                    Jon.