ME under Mac OS X

  • s
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2005
      hello

      has anybbody succeeded in running ME under Mac OS X (in Terminal) and
      entering non-Western chars (i.e. Cyrillic, Baltic, etc)?

      are there any hints / suggestions?

      would be very grateful, thank you.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22, 2005
        s wrote:
        > hello
        >
        > has anybbody succeeded in running ME under Mac OS X (in Terminal) and
        > entering non-Western chars (i.e. Cyrillic, Baltic, etc)?
        >
        > are there any hints / suggestions?
        >
        > would be very grateful, thank you.

        Not sure what to expect with console version. The X-Windows version should behave correctly
        (will need to install the Apple X Server found on the installation disk).

        You need to set up the keyboard (M-x user-setup) and select the required keyboard +
        language. After that then you need to determine the keys that do not work and map them in.

        Follows are some notes on the keyboard translation.

        Jon.

        -------- Previous Question ---------------

        We do have keyboard translations for Windows but have
        none for UNIX and I cannot recall there ever being
        a problem (that was reported) - You do not say what
        window manager you are using.

        Fix one key at a time, first find out what the
        key is to find out the key code and then use
        translate-key to fix it. The standard key board
        translations that we do are in the file "keyboard.emf"
        so you can use this as an example of how to
        translate a key i.e.

        translate-key "<from codes>" "<to codes>"

        If you want to get rid of a key then use

        global-bind-key void "<duff key>"

        Add the translations and global bindings
        to your <user>.emf file so they are run
        at startup. If you use a single common
        <user>.emf across all platforms then
        use the $platform variable