Re: [jasspa] region-aware macro construction

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
      Meino Christian Cramer wrote:

      > Hrmrm..then I understood the help the wrong way:
      >
      > 3
      > No screen redraw, only window variables are up-dated. This feature is
      > provided for macros which manipulate the screen view and need to know
      > where the cursor is in the window without redrawing the screen (which
      > may cause unwanted flickering). Note that as the screen is not redrawn
      > not all variables may have the correct value, for example the frame
      > store variable <some garbage from copy and paste> could be out of date.

      macros will not update the screen unless they are forced. If you run the macro and get to
      the prompt and then issue a ^L then you see the pending changes in the buffer. As the macros
      will not update the screen unless forced you do not need to disable the update with the 3
      screen-update. (Yes sorry, my mistake, you had 3 not just a screen update - but you still do
      not need this).

      > I would be interesting, why my macro does not work for working from
      > my errors. No doubt there are others, may be better ways to implement
      > teh macro.

      The narrow region method is fine.

      > But was actually wrong with my macro?. Why does "3 screen-update"
      > seems not to switch off screen updateing? Why does the macro stop to
      > work just after enterint it -- just only narrowing the buffer (I saw
      > no error prompt or such...)?

      Because you did not use @mna. replace string requires an argument the behaviour you want is
      to prompt the user from the command line. You have not provided the argument for the replace
      string so it fails.

      Jon.
    • Meino Christian Cramer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
        From: Jon Green <jon@...>
        Subject: Re: [jasspa] region-aware macro construction
        Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:12:11 +0100

        Hi Jon,

        thanks a lot for your patience !:)

        Just to proof, whether I understood right the "command in
        a macro"-thingy. (That sounds like "Macro in a box" :)

        A command, which has no parameter to be passed to it will work
        interactively the same way as in a macro.

        A command, which needs some user interaction has to use @mna in
        macros or "literally" givven parameters either in "<val>" or in form
        of the contents of a variable like $<varname>.

        Is that ok ?

        Meino

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
          So, a side effect of !FORCE is that whatever it runs will update the
          screen? (Undocumented.)

          -Th

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
            By forced, Jon meant by calling screen-update; using !force will not up-date
            the screen.

            Steve

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2005
              That is correct.